Any Archers in the Group?

dats82

Obviously this is a gun forum, but I figured I would pose the question regardless.  Over the past few months, my wife has been saying she wanted a bow.  I just kind of ignored it thinking she would move on to another interest shortly.  Well, she hasn't, and the short of the story is that we went to a store the other day, we looked at some, the saleman let us shoot some, and we walked out with a bow.  I will have to admit that I thought she was a little silly for wanting one, but having played with it some and shot some, now I want one too.

I am looking for advice on what I should look for or check about in the process of getting one.  I do not want to drop much money on it (~$200), and I know that it is probably like most things in that you get what you pay for.  I guess my two biggest questions are: Is it reasonable to buy a used bow, and being about 74-75" tall with a sleeve length of 37", will a standard bow likely work or will I have to fiind one with a longer draw.  It looks like a common draw length tops out at 30". 

I am really just planing to use it as a more or less a toy (I know, I know, safety this and that, but you know what I mean) that I may hunt with a little down the road.  If I can get off work early enough during the week, I'll probably go back to the store where we bought hers, but I also appreciate any insight you all may have to offer as well. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to shoot a lot but injuries to both shoulders due to motorcycle accidents has pretty much stopped any archery activities.  I'm a short guy so I'm not sure about the longer draw length.  I would see nothing wrong with buying a used bow but take it to an archery shop and get it checked out and make sure that it is safe to shoot before you draw it.  The trick about buying a used bow is finding one that will fit you.  If it doesn't fit you right you will never be comfortable shooting it.  As far as hunting a little bit, once you are within bow range of a deer it will become an obsession, the words "a little bit" and "bow hunting" will no longer belong in the same sentence.  Bowhunting by far is the biggest rush of any hunting I've ever done.  I figure for every deer I've killed with a bow I would have killed at least 50 had I been hunting with a gun.  It's rewarding, yet very humbling.  

I've been interested in a bow for a while as well.  I work with several avid bow hunters and have been told that used gear is the way to go.  Everyone seems to have a preference regarding one brand or another, but I think the differences are nil for a beginner.  I'm also told that most newer bows have a fairly wide range of adjustment, though I haven't a clue what's right and what's not. 

Guest capt usa

Shooting a bow is a great way to stay active and spend time with friends and family. My wife and I shot 3-D tournaments for years and it was some of the best times I'd spent outdoors. To me it was as much or more fun than hunting. When the kids came along the trips stopped. Now they're getting big enough to start getting serious about it (oldest one had his first bow kill this year) so maybe we'll start back sometime.  

You should get a bow that fits you, go to a dealer and they can adjust what needs adjusting. Get the best one you can afford, but remember the extras (sights, rest, silencers, release, quiver, arrows & etc) will cost more than the bow if it's stripped when you buy it.

Good luck and enjoy your time outdoors together.