600 yard HG

That's insane. Hey I got you a candy bar. Have you lost weight? Gosh you're a nice guy! :D

Seriously though, I have to ask and excuse me if this is too personal. But I can't fathom the wallet required for such gear and the reloading facility. Are you sponsered or is all of this out of pocket?

I could never afford it, mostly because I have too many hobbies.

Basic economics.  You have X dollars to spend on your wants.  If the thing you wanted MOST is a 50 bmg, you could probably own one --- they cost a small fraction of what a new car or home does, after all.   I would bet that if I could go into the life of several of my friends and take the money they spend on TV, "wasted" gas (fun trips), cell phones, kids, recreation and other toys --- talking $400 a month per couple for some of these folks --- over a 2 year period I could easily buy a BMG.   

Edited by Jonnin
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basic economics.  You have X dollars to spend on your wants.  If the thing you wanted MOST is a 50 bmg, you could probably own one --- they cost a small fraction of what a new car or home does, after all.   I would bet that if I could go into the life of several of my friends and take the money they spend on TV, "wasted" gas (fun trips), cell phones, kids, recreation and other toys --- talking $400 a month per couple for some of these folks --- over a 2 year period I could easily buy a BMG.   

True, but that would require discipline and besides muzzle control, i've very little when it comes to the things i like :D

I'm not sponsored in any way, typically to have a custom rifle built from time the order is placed and time for delivery is about a year wait. So I make a decent deposit to get the project started and save my pocket change for the time frame on wait. During that time I'm buying my reloading supplies my scopes my rings and what ever gear needed. That helps the so called out of pocket expense at one time. My 50 BMG is built on a McMillan single shot action KP barrel clam shell break Jewell trigger and McMillan LG stock the rifle weighs 37 # and is legal for FCSA competition. Cost of this rifle alone when built 4800.00 original scope was a mark 4 with premier boost to 32x now it has a NF 12-42 NXS I'll get some pics uploaded soon for you guys.

The shield spoken of is a heat shield to prevent mirage from the barrel when looking thru the scope for 1000 yard competition. Even though the narrel is 1.5" dia. when you shoot sighters and the nput 10 shots down range for record as fast as you can load them that barrel heats up rather quickly and the heat waves looking thru the scope will cause you to shoot off target if not careful.