Step by step ordering a firearm?

Spots

So if I want to order a firearm from somewhere like gunbroker, what are the steps, step by step? Contact seller, contact my FFL, have them fax copy, then have rifle shipped? Anything I'm missing, or that I should know and look out for?
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done several transfers through my ffl, so we know each other fairly well. Enough to the point that the last 3 or 4 that ive had sent to him, i order the firearm first, then give him a call to let him know ive got a gun headed his way. Usually he just says ill call you when it gets here, but if he hasnt dealt with the company i ordered from before i just give him the number to fax his ffl to.

If you have never used a specific ffl holder before id definitely give them a call first, before ordering the gun. Then order the gun, contact seller to get a number for ffl to be faxed to and also to pay for the gun, then contact your ffl again to give them the number and that should be it. They will ship once the ffl copy is received.

I went through CCA, I bought from a dealer.

I got CCA's information from their website, filled out the Purchase Order from the seller, giving the shipping information, etc... from CCA. I then sent an email to both CCA and the seller.

Got an email the next day from both, they handled it all on their end. A few week later I went into CCA, paid for the check and transfer.

Check the history on the seller too.  There's a lot of new sellers on gunbroker as on TGO.  So, apply the same judgement as you would here.

The private seller comment is valid - some private sellers are hard to deal with so some FFL's don't deal with them at all. I've had some pains in the past.  So, I don't like dealing with them either unless it's something I really want.

Otherwise, payment is likely by Money Order for private seller or by credit card for business.  Some charge extra (3-4%) to use a credit card and should have it listed in the sale description but some don't.  So, try to verify how to pay, shipping amount, and overall condition before the sale. 

As for the FFL, the other comments apply.  I use email to contact my FFL and have him send his information to the seller.  They swap info and I have the seller send me confirmation numbers for shipping.  After that, it's just like picking up something locally - fill out the paperwork and pay the transfer fee.