National Open Carry Day/Weekend

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest db99wj
I prefer concealed. It's not really about the "suprise" factor for me--it's more about discretion.

Excellent post. That is the way I feel as well. I don't want to stick out in a crowd at all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ProguninTN

I know a lot of people like having the "Surprise" thing on their side, and I respect anyone who wants to carry differently than me. I make no bones about it man, just strap it on in your own way and help me fight the oppression of my 2nd amendment rights. But I believe in kind of the opposite thought.

(Story begins with quiet fiddles in the background)

If you and I are walking down the street late one night, you on one side of the street and me on the other, you concealed and me open, and two really bad dudes are looking to mess with someone, who do they pick? My theory is that even STUPID BAD GUYS would know that they are going to have more trouble messing with the guy they KNOW has a gun than messing with the guy who they think might not.

Now of course both you and I will shoot their sorry A--es from our respective side of the street whether we are concealed or not, so in the end, we live and they suffer perforation by .45acp justice......:D

But that is my reason for mostly choosing OC. Remember I said I have respect for any mode of carry, so don't let this turn into bashing each others choice, I was just letting you know my ideas.:cool:

Concealed is my choice. Both pro and con can make legit arguments for why they do what they do but I think that is comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. I like the idea of not giving the BG the advantage of knowing that I am carrying so it is CC for me.

If your thing is OC then go for it and I will defend your right to do it.

I'm with skipsfirearms and Volzfan. I CC most of the time, but OC sometimes. I say "float your own boat", and I wish more CCer's would adopt opinions like mine or Volzfan's. Rarely have I heard an OCer criticize CC, but I hear CCers bash OC often.

Guest GUTTERbOY

FYI, I did OC over last weekend, though I didn't really go all over town; just a trip to Bi-Lo and a corner gas station run. Neither time did I notice anyone doing double-takes, gasping in horror, or shielding children from me. At Bi-Lo, I stood and chatted with the checkout guys for a bit, and if they noticed, they didn't say or do anything noticable. At the gas station, a guy stood behind me in line and didn't seem to care.

I think that the reality is that most people are far too unobservant to even notice an openly carried gun, unless it's a chrome BFR or something. I'm gonna stick with CC for the most part, but I'll keep OC in my toolbox from time to time. Most days, though, discretion is a better course of action for me.