Need to go to Fort Jackson

and will have to go out of state unarmed. I hate the thought NOW after being armed for months to have to go out of state completely unarmed. My son is at Fort Jackson SC taking his Basic and will graduate on Aug 8th. My daughter, Tylers girlfriend and I will be going and spending family day with him on the 7th and then the following day for graduation.

I understand I can't carry on base and all that but what I am going to hate is not being able to have my protection on me on the trip and at the motel etc. :devil:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and why can't you carry in SC?

I am willing to bet that you can get written authorization to store your firearm in your vehicle while at the graduation as long as it's in a lockbox or secured in some fashion.

failing that I would get a portable safe and carry until I got to the hotel...when going to the graduation I would lock my firearm in the safe and leave it at the hotel.

also, when making reservations for the hotel, ask them if they have room safes. Many hotels do have them and you can securely lock it in the room safe at the hotel. that way you have it for your trip but you still comply with federal regulations.

hope these ideas help ya!

I wondered if locking it up in a lockbox would work in the trunk of my car? Who would I even contact for a written authorization? Does anyone know?

My son wrote me and said "Mom, do not bring any weapons with you, that means you can't bring your gun and don't bring Eden and Da'Kari either."

ROFL like I was gonna bring my dogs, hahaha, I guess he never knows what to expect from mom but LOL I would never think about taking two dobermans. He is so cute and funny!

But I do want to take my handgun is I can find a viable and legal way to do it.

Contact base security.

that would be the MP station. more than likely if they didn't allow you to lock it up in your car on post they DO have an armsroom that they could allow you to lock it in when you come on post..though I don't know if they'd go to all that trouble.

failing that you can call the PAO and ask what steps you need to take in order to do that. (that would be the public affairs officer)

I would definitely call base sercurity. But I can tell you, that even if you are active military bringing a weapon on a base is going to be a pita. Chances are there is an SOP (standard operating procedure) for this, but there will be 40 different interpretations of that SOP. And the poor schmuck at the gate will not have any idea what to do other than to go to sweat con alpha. On the other hand, if it is like most of the bases I have been on in the last couple of years. Put it in the trunk in a lock box (unloaded) and don't mention it. You probably won't be stopped and searched. But you could be. Last option is to leave it in the motel/hotel with the 'Do Not Disturb" sign out, until you return.

On another note. Congratulation to you and your son. Thank him for his service.

Guest GLOCKGUY

the last time i went to a Army base i stayed at a hotel that had a safe in the room. i didn't want to go through the all the bull xxxx to try to get it in

Guest nraforlife
the last time i went to a Army base i stayed at a hotel that had a safe in the room. i didn't want to go through the all the bull xxxx to try to get it in

Agree, use the safe in your room or the hotel safe. I have a retired Army Officer friend who thought he would get his firearm checked in at FT Campbell while he and his wifed shopped on base. Key word here is THOUGHT answer was NO...

It would work great for the night we stay there but when I leave for graduation we will be checking out of motel, so therein lies the problem. I did send out an email to the PAO and if I don't get any response I will call them.

Thanks for everyone's help and idea's.

It would work great for the night we stay there but when I leave for graduation we will be checking out of motel, so therein lies the problem. I did send out an email to the PAO and if I don't get any response I will call them.

Thanks for everyone's help and idea's.

answer: pay for an extra day so that you'll have access to the hotel safe.

it sucks but it's the only way you'll know that your pistol is safely kept.

Guest tokarev

Just my 2 cents. (free advice being worth what you pay for it)

Hmmm, one of these days, they're going to do a though search of my vehicle and me, and I'm going to get in trouble. Oh, it's been searched, but they always did a lousy job (Hello! Toolbox big enough for Osama to hide in and you're not going to peek in it?) and never checked to see if I was carrying conceled. (even the time that I handed over my carry pemit instead of my driver's license by mistake)

No, I'm not bragging. No way! I'm also not telling anyone to break any laws. I take full respondibility for my actions for what I do. It's just that I didn't want to travel hundreds of miles and be unarmed when I visit my son at the Army bases he and his family live at.

I go on Ft. Campbell, Ky. quite often, I have a Tennesse HCP, it is not allowed to have a unregistered weapon on post, carry is not allowed. Don't ask, don't tell!

Do what you think is needed for your safety! I am not telling you to break any laws or rules but we have to sometimes do things others do not like.

I ran into this problem when I visited a friend on base. You are gonna have luggage, they are not going to go through a bunch of graduate's Mom and Dad's luggage. Strap that thing on until you head to the base. Pack it in your bag unloaded, toss it in the trunk and give that dip from Homeland Security at the gate your best "Howdy Officer I'm here to see my only littlest boy graduate to fight the terrorists" smile and truck on.

That being said, if that all goes wrong Punisher84 is not a lawyer and claims no responsibility if you follow said advice. You can't be court-martialed as a civilian though so at least you won't go to the brig.

That is true about not being courtmartialed but you can find yourself before a Federal Magistrate real quick. You can plead the ignorance routine. Separate the ammo from

pistol and lock in baggage in trunk. Usually they graduate a whole battalion at a time in the Summer so a lot of people will be visiting.

Go to Five Points downtown there is a restaurant called Yesterday's. It is in the College district and a lot of things to do there.

Guest clutepc

We are going to fort benning this summer, we are going with another couple so I plan on locking my gun in a car safe, leave the car at the hotel and ride in with the others.

After reading the link about Fort Jackson, even if registered and approved, you will not be able to legally carry a firearm on post unless you are going;

"to and from quarters

to and from hunting areas

to and from an authorized shooting area"

I would find a motel with a safe in the room, and stay the extra day. Laws concerning search and seizure are different on a Military Installation. By entering the area, you are consenting to a search of your vehicle and possessions.:D

This is the cheap way.

I would say, that as a law abiding Citizen, you are more likely to be made an example if you are caught illegally carrying a firearm on a Federal Installation. :bowrofl:

That's my opinion as a multi-licensed State Certified Trainer of Armed Professionals and Citizens.:)

Guest 270win

Lock it up in a safe in the hotel. I'd pay for an extra night VS getting caught with a gun at the entry point into a military base without the proper paperwork. Your freedom from search goes away when you hit the gate of a base. I wouldn't drive long distance or stay in a hotel without a handgun either, so the extra money for a hotel room would be worth it.

Guest TheBulldog
and will have to go out of state unarmed. I hate the thought NOW after being armed for months to have to go out of state completely unarmed. My son is at Fort Jackson SC taking his Basic and will graduate on Aug 8th. My daughter, Tylers girlfriend and I will be going and spending family day with him on the 7th and then the following day for graduation.

I understand I can't carry on base and all that but what I am going to hate is not being able to have my protection on me on the trip and at the motel etc. :D

Why not?

SC honors fully a TN resident Carry permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/tennessee_map.gif :shrug:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/