Tactical glasses?

Out of curiosity has anyone seen a set of perscription glasses that are still modern and of the times, but have an advantage to the scoped rifle man. Any particular lens I should look into, or avoid? Thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity has anyone seen a set of perscription glasses that are still modern and of the times, but have an advantage to the scoped rifle man. Any particular lens I should look into, or avoid? Thanks in advance.

Oakley does prescription lenses for many of their ballistic (using term loosely) eye pro. When I was in the Army all the blind guys had prescription lenses for their "M" frame eye pro. I wish I could point you in the proper direction on where to get them done, but I have one good eye that offsets the bad one, so I don't wear glasses. Check out the optometry center at WalMart. I'm sure they offer those now. The great part about getting "M" frames is that you can switch out the lenses in seconds and go between clear lenses, amber, UV, polarized.... you name it. I have 4 different lenses for my M frame.

I don't buy anything but Oakley anymore, both for sunglasses and regular glasses.  I can definitely tell the difference in Oakley's optical clarity.  Plus, all of their lenses are ANSI rated and suitable to use as shooting glasses (the SI series is rated for the MIL ballistic standard).  For me, its worth the extra money for the polarized lenses.  However, some people find that polarized lenses filter  out red dot sights. I can see my Eotech's reticle just fine with my polarized black iridium lenses (basically the darkest lens Oakley makes).  I've heard that the VR28 lens is great for shooting, too.  

Like TMF said, the M-frames are nice because you can swap out lenses, but buying multiple prescription lenses would get pretty expensive.  The Rx part is basically embedded into the M-frame shield, which I don't really like.  I prefer the models with a lens for each eye like the half-jackets.  Plus, I'm always losing the rubber nose piece on the M-frames.

You'll need to go to an authorized dealer to check out and order Rx Oakleys; you can find a list on oakley.com.  LensCrafters is an authorized dealer, but they always seem to be more expensive.  

Guest Lester Weevils

Oakley does prescription lenses for many of their ballistic (using term loosely) eye pro. When I was in the Army all the blind guys had prescription lenses for their "M" frame eye pro. I wish I could point you in the proper direction on where to get them done, but I have one good eye that offsets the bad one, so I don't wear glasses. Check out the optometry center at WalMart. I'm sure they offer those now. The great part about getting "M" frames is that you can switch out the lenses in seconds and go between clear lenses, amber, UV, polarized.... you name it. I have 4 different lenses for my M frame.

Those oakley's look entirely too fashionable for my tastes, not nearly ugly and klunky enough. :)

I'm blind in one eye so the other has to be protected real well because there ain't no backup. Have been wondering about these "fragmentation goggles" quite awhile. I bet you know enough to tell me whether they are a stupid idea for "as good as possible" eye protection--

Paulson Tactical Goggles - Triple Lens--  https://secure.paulson-international.com/index.php?module=BroSHP&object=4758676833136804835

Those oakley's look entirely too fashionable for my tastes, not nearly ugly and klunky enough. :)

I'm blind in one eye so the other has to be protected real well because there ain't no backup. Have been wondering about these "fragmentation goggles" quite awhile. I bet you know enough to tell me whether they are a stupid idea for "as good as possible" eye protection--

Paulson Tactical Goggles - Triple Lens--  https://secure.paulson-international.com/index.php?module=BroSHP&object=4758676833136804835

If I was doing a HALO jump from the international space station, this is what I would wear. For everything else I like the wrap around protection I get from M frames and Half Jackets with the full sized lens. There are a lot of IED victims out there that have clean skin in the shape of their Oakleys.

I ended up having to go with some prescription Ray Ban Aviators due to my eyes being so bad. The Oakleys had too much curve for my prescription. I got the polarized, high contrast version lenses and man do they work! I can actually feel my facial muscles relax even under bright light when I'm wearing these things. The high contrast lenses aren't the best if you want the highest color accuracy because everything does have a yellowish tint to it but they make things so sharp and clear I think they're well worth it. I will say that the Ray Bans aren't probably meant for high impact activities since they have all metal frames and the Oakleys have the plastic but they are a timeless design that look good on many types of faces. I do know that the Oakleys have interchangable lenses that just snap in, so if want to change frames or lenses you can very easily.

Edited by gnmwilliams

I ended up having to go with some prescription Ray Ban Aviators due to my eyes being so bad. The Oakleys had too much curve for my prescription. I got the polarized, high contrast version lenses and man do they work! I can actually feel my facial muscles relax even under bright light when I'm wearing these things. The high contrast lenses aren't the best if you want the highest color accuracy because everything does have a yellowish tint to it but they make things so sharp and clear I think they're well worth it. I will say that the Ray Bans aren't probably meant for high impact activities since they have all metal frames and the Oakleys have the plastic but they are a timeless design that look good on many types of faces. I do know that the Oakleys have interchangable lenses that just snap in, so if want to change frames or lenses you can very easily.

That was the info I just got from LensCrafters. Curve is too drastic. In the winter I find I wear my glasses more. Summer is coming soon, and if I were able to get my script covered in some useful(not vanity but not unsightly) sunglasses I could give my eyes a rest... 21 years in contacts is starting to take its toll.
Guest Lester Weevils

If I was doing a HALO jump from the international space station, this is what I would wear. For everything else I like the wrap around protection I get from M frames and Half Jackets with the full sized lens. There are a lot of IED victims out there that have clean skin in the shape of their Oakleys.

Thanks for the good advice, TMF. In a weird way your evaluation is encouraging for the frag goggles, confirming them as EFFECTIVE overkill rather than mire SILLY overkill. :) Added to the relatively low price of $60 and ability to be worn over my glasses, rather than paying a lot more for rx lenses on something more fashionable.

I actually like the look of my klunky polycarb ray charles glasses over the prescription polycarb glasses, which is two layers of protection. Frag goggles would be FOUR layers of protection, including the polycarb lenses in my glasses.

Another thing of interest is the multi-layers are reputed to be resistant to fogging. I wear ordinary construction goggles a lot, like with the nail gun or mini-lathe, or up in the attic in all the dust and muck stapling up insulation, with goggles and respirator as well. The annoyance is that they are so bad to fog up. If the multi-layer goggles really are less likely to fog up it would be a help. There is one manufacturer of sand goggles with little battery powered anti-fog fans, but unfortunately they only have a "mere" 2mm thick polycarb lens. :)

Paulson sells a goggle similar to the frag goggles with a 2mm nylon single lens, lighter and a slightly higher meters per second impact resistance than the multi-layer mylar and polycarb frag goggles. They claim those are anti-fog treated on the inside and "self-healing" coating on the outside, but I wonder if a single layer would be as fog-resistant, and also paulson doesn't specifically state that the lightweight nylon lens goggles will fit over glasses. They specifically state that on a few models, so it is easy to conclude that maybe the ones not so specified, might not be as glasses-friendly.

Edited by Lester Weevils

Thanks for the good advice, TMF. In a weird way your evaluation is encouraging for the frag goggles, confirming them as EFFECTIVE overkill rather than mire SILLY overkill. :) Added to the relatively low price of $60 and ability to be worn over my glasses, rather than paying a lot more for rx lenses on something more fashionable.

I actually like the look of my klunky polycarb ray charles glasses over the prescription polycarb glasses, which is two layers of protection. Frag goggles would be FOUR layers of protection, including the polycarb lenses in my glasses.

Another thing of interest is the multi-layers are reputed to be resistant to fogging. I wear ordinary construction goggles a lot, like with the nail gun or mini-lathe, or up in the attic in all the dust and muck stapling up insulation, with goggles and respirator as well. The annoyance is that they are so bad to fog up. If the multi-layer goggles really are less likely to fog up it would be a help. There is one manufacturer of sand goggles with little battery powered anti-fog fans, but unfortunately they only have a "mere" 2mm thick lens. :)

Goggles used to be a big part of my former line of work. I never got use to them. I've tried every type of anti fog solution known to man. It doesn't matter once you start sweating. I'd rather take the risk of eye damage than a loss of situational awareness, so the goggles didnt last long. I strictly used M-frames and had great success with those. Still had issues with ambient stuff floating in the after a dust up from aircraft or things blowing up, but nothing that couldn't be handled in exchange for not wearing goggles. I had a few buddies that had the goggles with the fans in them. They were pretty darn cool, but still cumbersome, and I hate the feeling of having my nose pinched.
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Goggles used to be a big part of my former line of work. I never got use to them. I've tried every type of anti fog solution known to man. It doesn't matter once you start sweating. I'd rather take the risk of eye damage than a loss of situational awareness, so the goggles didnt last long. I strictly used M-frames and had great success with those. Still had issues with ambient stuff floating in the after a dust up from aircraft or things blowing up, but nothing that couldn't be handled in exchange for not wearing goggles. I had a few buddies that had the goggles with the fans in them. They were pretty darn cool, but still cumbersome, and I hate the feeling of having my nose pinched.

Thanks TMF. Goggles don't bother me much. Its disappointing to hear that the fancy ones will fog up as well. Might try those Paulsons and if fogging is a problem maybe later try the battery-powered ones. I just want the remaining eye to last as long as I do (if at all possible). :)

my thoughts exactly. i find myself concentrating more on the goggles than my focus. to the ones that find them not to be uncomfortable my nose and upper brow is jealous.

my hipster rayban's are tacticool... but i think lens-crafters carries oakley... a few guys at work wear them... but if you have some sort of homeland security licence you can join https://secure.usstandardissue.com/     ordered a pair of the gas can glasses from there ... no peripheral vision what so ever though lol... remember when i was a kid and got my first pair of razors blades... they had a lens there that was shot with what looked like bird shot ... but either way u can get a pair... lens crafters might be cheaper cause you can use insurance