Glock 20 gen 4

trevorst

Well I finally gave into the panic buying, had been wanting another 10mm glock for quite awhile (well about 5m after I sold my gen 2 20 I regretted it...). I got an aftermarket barrel for my 21c to shoot 10mm but honestly it was never quite right and I sold it. After talking with people I was set on getting another in gen3. As luck would have it was at my LGS while they were unpacking and made a comment about a 20 in gen4 and lo and behold I now have one.

Went straight to the range and its a shooter, biggest surprise is the double spring in the gen4 makes it absorb much more recoil than I remember. We'll see how it does on my high octane reloads lol.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded my Gen 2  G 20 knowing I was going to replace it as soon as I could. I bought a Gen 3 in less than 2 months .I had planned on a SF but I tried one in my hand and prefered the regular frame. I always felt the 20 was a little big but the SF just didn't feel right to me .  I really like the 10 mm and want to buy an extended ported barrel for mine so I can shoot reloads .

I have bought several Glocks latley but not a Gen 4 yet. I kept reading about the ejector problems and just stayed with the Gen 3. Keep us posted on how it does . Maybe I will get a 29 in a Gen 4 next. Keep the 10 mm alive , it is a great cartridge .

I have a G 30 so If I buy a gen 4 and don't like it ,  I can always use the G 30 frame. I just really like the Gen 3 .To me , it is best to find one in a store and hold it first. I had been buying mine on Gun Broker but wanted to feel it first . I actually found mine 50.00 cheaper than local and no tax. This was in November . I hate to knock the local stores out of a sale but I am on a fixed income and need to save all I can.

I have heard it said that the Glock frame tames the 10 mm and absorbs some of the felt recoil . I know it feels better than shooting a Smith 1086. If needed you can always get a 40 S&W conversion barrel and practice with the cheaper ammo. From what I understand the conversion barrel is all that is needed to shoot 40. Uses same mag and spring .

I am on the hunt for a gen 4 29 now for EDC, just finished loading up some more rounds. Time to pick up a 6" barrel and start looking for bulk brass and bulk lead. Wish it wasn't so difficult to get brass and bullets right now....

For the record shot it again today and the wife fired a few rounds off, her review was much more pleasant to shoot than my older g20 (course that may be the ammo differences between whatever reload I gave her prior). Maybe I can convince her to sell off one of her "pretty" sigs for another 10mm lol.

I have a G 30 so If I buy a gen 4 and don't like it ,  I can always use the G 30 frame. I just really like the Gen 3 .To me , it is best to find one in a store and hold it first. I had been buying mine on Gun Broker but wanted to feel it first . I actually found mine 50.00 cheaper than local and no tax. This was in November . I hate to knock the local stores out of a sale but I am on a fixed income and need to save all I can.

I have heard it said that the Glock frame tames the 10 mm and absorbs some of the felt recoil . I know it feels better than shooting a Smith 1086. If needed you can always get a 40 S&W conversion barrel and practice with the cheaper ammo. From what I understand the conversion barrel is all that is needed to shoot 40. Uses same mag and spring .

I don't think you can use a gen4 slide on a gen3 frame (I may of course be wrong).

I don't think you can use a gen4 slide on a gen3 frame (I may of course be wrong).

Normally you can't but the Glock 29/30's may be an exception. The dust cover on the front is where troubles normally occur. Since the gen 3 29's had a dual recoil spring they may interchange.

I never thought about the Gen 3 and Gen 4 not interchanging. Not sure if it will work either . I will have to check it out before I buy another one. I think they are making spring adapters to use the older spring with the Gen 4 slide .

I bought a Lone Wolf extended and ported barrel for my 20 .Finished some reloads yesterday. To me the 10 mm is a great cartridge . I thought it was going to die off but it seems to be limping along and maybe even gaining a little popularity. I can remember years ago when you said 10 mm , people would say never heard of a 10 mm. At least now more people have heard of it.

Do you that reload shoot the reloads in the factory barrel? Do you load lead or jacketed ? I keep hearing that lead in the factory barrel was a no,no because of build up so I just bought a barrel .

I am on the hunt for a gen 4 29 now for EDC, just finished loading up some more rounds. Time to pick up a 6" barrel and start looking for bulk brass and bulk lead. Wish it wasn't so difficult to get brass and bullets right now....
For the record shot it again today and the wife fired a few rounds off, her review was much more pleasant to shoot than my older g20 (course that may be the ammo differences between whatever reload I gave her prior). Maybe I can convince her to sell off one of her "pretty" sigs for another 10mm lol.

You may wait a little while, but buying 10mm brass directly from Starline has worked well for me in the past.
I never shoot lead in any of my glock factory barrels always jacketed, but then again I almost always buy aftermarket barrels also.

One thing I have found interesting on the gen 4, while waiting on my LW 6" barrel to get here I have ran some pretty scorching reloads through this thing and without a doubt it has a world more chamber support than my old gen 2. No glock smilies on the brass at all so far, in fact if it wasn't for wanting a little more fps and to shoot lead I would be good with the factory barrel. Thing is rifle accurate, once I get my LW barrel in I will try to post a few pics showing the chamber support comparing stock and aftermarket. I bet they are very close.

You may wait a little while, but buying 10mm brass directly from Starline has worked well for me in the past.

I had never thought of ordering directly from starline, I had always ordered starline from wideners in the past and they are on permanent back order and was well before the scare.