I have this old gun...

It is an old, single action Remington Model 1875 revolver with the bore badly rusted. I expect it is still quite valuable. Thanks for sharing. I really like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_1875

It appears to me to have the shorter and less common 5 3/4" barrel.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

It is an old, single action Remington Model 1875 revolver with the bore badly rusted. I expect it is still quite valuable. Thanks for sharing. I really like it.

Good to know, that gives me a great starting point, thanks!

Edited by Romad7

Most of the pics that I can find on that model have the extra support under the barrel.  Do you know what the difference between the two are?  Was there a certain time that these were made without?

Here is a link to a pic.  Thanks!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/a/ae/Remington1875Q%26D.jpg/450px-Remington1875Q%26D.jpg

I'm interested in what you find out. That appears to be a nice presentation box it is in as well.

Yeah the box is pretty nice.  I am sure it was made after his death so its much newer than the gun but still shows some age.

44-40 looks to be too small.  Case is .443" and this cylinder bore is .4715".  Probably a .45 of some kind.

Most of the pics that I can find on that model have the extra support under the barrel.  Do you know what the difference between the two are?  Was there a certain time that these were made without?

Here is a link to a pic.  Thanks!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/a/ae/Remington1875Q%26D.jpg/450px-Remington1875Q%26D.jpg

I really don't know much about them, but I have seen them both ways. That web puts me in mind of a, 1858 with a conversion cylinder installed.

44-40 looks to be too small.  Case is .443" and this cylinder bore is .4715".  Probably a .45 of some kind.

Unless it has been rechambered, I know of three original chamberings: 44-40, 45 Colt, and 44 Remington. Could be the Remington. I do not know the dimensions of that cartridge. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Edited by gregintenn

Make no mistake; it has a LOT of cash value.

Very nice piece, even if you find it has no cash value, it is priceless because it came from your Father in Law.
I likey!!!

It's definitely priceless to us but it would be cool to find that it's actually a valuable collectors item too.

The owner of the LGS here was practically drooling over it when I asked him about it. He just about offered me any modern gun in the case. He couldn't understand that it wasn't for sale even if he offered me all the guns in the case.

The cool thing is that we also have her Dad's Beretta 92 as well to go with it. He was a Colonel in the Air Force and in Vietnam and Desert Storm. He carried the same type of gun (M9) in Iraq and I carried one in Afghanistan so that might make a cool shadow box some day with both guns and our medals and badges.

I really don't know much about them, but I have seen them both ways. That web puts me in mind of a, 1858 with a conversion cylinder installed.

Unless it has been rechambered, I know of three original chamberings: 44-40, 45 Colt, and 44 Remington. Could be the Remington. I do not know the dimensions of that cartridge. I don't think I've ever seen one.

I can't find much on the 44 Remington. I'll have to research some more, maybe the tolerances were looser back then and aim being too tight on the measurements. Could be too that the 45 Colt casings were slightly different too. It's a fun mystery!

I wonder if the notches on the grip mean anything,

They do seem a bit to uniform in size shape and distance to be an accident...

That is a very cool piece, in your position I'd be very keen in getting an accurate appraisal, if for no other reason than that may be something you should insure.

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if the notches on the grip mean anything,

I wondered the same. I counted 7 of them on one side. A little geneology on Mr. Ford might prove interesting.

Really neat gun, I'm glad Romad7 has a healthy respect for it. I know people that inherit family heirlooms and just sell them off.

Guest Lester Weevils

Dumb comment, merely because nobody else mentioned it. Ya ought to resist the temptation to clean it up too much. Supposedly cleaning up an antique too much can ruin its value. You most likely know this, just wanted to make sure it was said. Sure you don't want to sell it, but OTOH its "old" condition has to do with the value and you were wondering about the value.

Thanks for all the comments, I should have better info later this week after getting appraised.

I emailed a guy that deals in antique firearms and just from the pictures he confirmed that its an 1890 and should be chambered in 44-40. We'll see what he says in person though.

Speaking of selling heirlooms. I saw a WW2 era 1911 with a matching 380 pistol on their website that belonged to a Brigadier General. It was sold to this shop by his family! Once you sell something like that its gone forever, I have a thing against selling gift guns let alone one of a kind (to me) family heirlooms.

I won't be attempting any kind of "restoration". It's perfect just the way it is. I like to imagine that the dirt in the action is leftover from a dusty ride in some unfamiliar territory and the grips are stained with the sweat and oils from his hands pulling it from his well worn holster in response to one of the many dangers back then. There are even wear marks where the cartridge would rub when reloading over and over again. I'm a bit of a romantic and I am definitely falling in love with this gun:-)