Argh! Yes, I'm doing it, HATE ME! (Ak vs AR)

G27

Guest dwrd
basically all hi-cap mags, all semi-auto shotguns, all semi-auto rifles will be banned. very few exceptions. levers, pumps and boltactions and break overs are exempt from this ban. no mac 10, tec 9 or uzi. no gun that was designed originally for military or LE use. also this time around there is to be no transfers of pre-ban equipment at all. also no more importing in any equipment covered in the ban

Guess it is time to track down a Saiga 12 then.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we won't be able to buy and sell fully-auto's for $25,000 anymore? Then you just trash them if you don't want them anymore? That would make them worthless then, right?

it didnt say anything about class3/NFA items but im assuming you are correct.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1022

thats a link to read up on exactly what is to be banned, but all AKs and ARs are included

I will post a new tread about the bill momentarily in RTKBA if interested. However (on topic), I would suggest getting a good AR and maybe a Saiga that you can convert later (buy mags now, though). I don't know that HR1022 will pass (and certainly not in its current form), but I agree that something is coming, especially if the Dems take control of the WH, House, and Senate.

Guest Loki
I will post a new tread about the bill momentarily in RTKBA if interested. However (on topic), I would suggest getting a good AR and maybe a Saiga that you can convert later (buy mags now, though). I don't know that HR1022 will pass (and certainly not in its current form), but I agree that something is coming, especially if the Dems take control of the WH, House, and Senate.

You can guarentee that. They are probably still PO'd about Heller, and are just waiting for their chance to pounce.

"FINE. The Supreme Court said you can have guns. Well, have fun with your revolvers and single-shot rifles, cause that's all we're gonna leave you when we're done."

Guest crytes

I've never had my issued m16s or m4s fail on me, but keep my weapons clean and dont accept damaged weapons. Regardless of what you pick and how tolerant it is of abuse it is foolish to trust you life to anything you do not intend to properly take care of.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

What is your purpose with the rifle? SHTF? Plinking? Hunting? All three? Something else?

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. I own several variations of each, and I like them.

If I ever have to head for the hills with only what I can carry on my person, it will be with a converted Saiga in .223.

I used to be an AR guy but I've moved to the AK realm. The AK is as accurate as you are going to need it to be. For me, I don't see any reason at all to shoot 100yds+, so an AK's accuracy is really a moot point at closer ranges like that. The inncauracy that you will hear about is more do to the ammo than the rifle. You have a great selection of good, American made ammo for the AR. For the AK, you'll mostly find Russian stuff of lesser quality, though thats not to say its not good ammo. For me personally, there's just something about an AK that appeals to me over an AR.

At under 100 yards i grab a AK or SKS. At over 100 yards i grab the 308. :D

I got my feelings on the russian weapons from my dad which got first hand use of a early M-16 A1. You could look at it wrong and it would jam from the dust in the wind. Throw a AK in the lake into the deep mud, come back a week later and dig it out and shake it dry a bit and go to shooting.

If i had to go with a american auto loader of modern military style rifle i would have to say there is a reason the army is issuing some of our guy's M14's again.

That is a hard rifle to beat and wish i had one.

What is your purpose with the rifle? SHTF? Plinking? Hunting? All three? Something else?

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. I own several variations of each, and I like them.

If I ever have to head for the hills with only what I can carry on my person, it will be with a converted Saiga in .223.

It would be a toss up for me on a head for the hill's weapon. but if it was becasue of a foreign fighting force invaded i would have to stay with something shooting 7.62x39 since a person could pick up ammo if they spotted a loner walking around, plus a few spare parts if needed.

One thing to remmber that alot of people dont think about is that if it's a head for the hill's issue. Something that could go a long time without any cleaning would be a plus. Since a cleaning kit and stuff would not be on your high list of things to grab and something you would not want to barter for later.

Edited by Tobashadow
Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
It would be a toss up for me on a head for the hill's weapon. but if it was becasue of a foreign fighting force invaded i would have to stay with something shooting 7.62x39 since a person could pick up ammo if they spotted a loner walking around, plus a few spare parts if needed.

One thing to remmber that alot of people dont think about is that if it's a head for the hill's issue. Something that could go a long time without any cleaning would be a plus. Since a cleaning kit and stuff would not be on your high list of things to grab and something you would not want to barter for later.

You'd be just as likely to find .223 lying around, given to you by some semblance of a remaining civil authority, or on the shelf at an abandoned bait/tackle/checking station up in the middle of nowhere.

The fact that I don't have to clean an AK for it to function is a good trait. I do, however, have a small, basic cleaning and repair kit in my BOB.

Guest Steelharp

Why "converted?" Is there some advantage to doing this? Or is it basically a cosmetic thing?

Guest bkelm18
Why "converted?" Is there some advantage to doing this? Or is it basically a cosmetic thing?

Well would you rather have a semi-auto hunting rifle or a semi-auto AK? That's what the Saiga's are imported as, hunting rifles. You have to add a pistol grip, a new FCG, and a new buttstock to make them an AK.

Guest Steelharp

Ok, pistol grips and buttstocks are cosmetic. Nothing to do with the function of the rifle. Pardon my ignorance, but what does "FCG" stand for? I just don't know.

Guest bkelm18
Ok, pistol grips and buttstocks are cosmetic. Nothing to do with the function of the rifle. Pardon my ignorance, but what does "FCG" stand for? I just don't know.

Fire Control Group. The trigger, disconnect, and hammer. You have to install a standard AK FCG in order to put in a pistol grip. The factory FCG in a Saiga is some weird Rube Goldberg design different than an AK FCG and it sits too far back in the reciever to allow for a pistol grip.

Guest dwrd

A little bit of conversion is needed for it to accept standard AK high capacity magazines.

Guest Steelharp
A little bit of conversion is needed for it to accept standard AK high capacity magazines.

Ah... now that's a valid reason for conversion. However, mine in .223... standard AK mags are pointless, correct?