The Resistance is beginning...

Guest 556or762

We don't know how many times guns tasers or knives get through, its not like there is a kiosk on the other end for you to contribute the fact that youve succesfully amuggled contraband on your flight, if I had to guess I'd say not nearly as often as they get caught.

Yes, the job can be done better by private groups IMO, it is however very important for a set of standards to be implemented and not just left up to the discretion of the airlines. And by the way, those nudie pics leave an awful lot to the imagination it's not anything like the X-ray spec type image that most people have conjured up in their minds.

Metal detectors and dog are completely useless against some threats, they'd work we'll enough for bombs and metal contraband but would be completely useless against anything not made of metal or in the training for the dogs, the K9s have a limited number of things they can effectively be trained to sniff out.

Also just curious, do you have any idea how much those dogs cost? Not only are they very expensive $5,000-$10,000 they are also very expensive to upkeep, plus you have the additional cost of handlers. K9 approved vehicles etc. You'd need many dogs per terminal, they can really only be effective for about 20 minutes of every hour. Plus they only have an average career of 5-7 years. Honestly not as effective and not as economical. Not by a long shot. In fact, not even close at all.

As far as the frisking and ball grabbing, I just wish they'd offer opposit sex pat downs, I'm a single so I could use the excitement.

$5,000-$10,000 for a good working dog? Where I looked into buying a German Shepherd protection dog for my mom and it made my two Shepherd's seem cheap try $25,000-40,000 for a protection/ guard dog. I started mine on some work and now that they are old enough I'm going to get my male trained for tracking I think to give him something to do. A working dog without a job gets bored as they get older/bigger and then they use their extra energy on trouble.
Guest 556or762
Oh and a side note for context mine both have imported parents on has sch3 parents the other mil/ police parents, they ain't cheap.
I think the lineage may be part of the overhead on those, also I'm sure LEA/Government Agency's receive prorates. My "source" for information regarding aviation security had to purchase some after 9/11 and recalled the price at about $10,000 per, just for the trained dogs themselves.

Either way even at $5,000 replacing modern tech with trained dogs at a large international airport is neither practical, cost effective, or any combination of the two.

Besides, then people would just bitch about the dogs. "I'm allergic" "your dog better not bite me, I'll sue" "your dog stuck its snout in my daughter/grandmas crotch"
Dogs also have a limited amount of time they can do detection until they are wore out and no longer effective. When the are conducting detection it is similar to a human hyperventilating.... do that for a few hundred passengers in a half hour and the dog will be smoked and may not be on task any longer. Not to mention, detection dogs require a find every so often or they aren't going to do their job. I've been round and round on this topic with folks who claim to be veteran handlers, but I've seen it several times with dogs who are no longer conducting detection because they just searched 30 houses without finding anything and therefore did not get a reward. Dogs are like hookers when it comes to work; they don't do it for the fun of it, they do it to get paid.

Our dogs overseas were only worked 2 hours at a time, normally twice a day when we were the most busy. And even then the handler made sure the dog found something every 15-20 minutes. He said if he didn't the dog would go through the motions of searching but not really search.

Something else that effects dogs is stress. Imagine being at work and always being super excited or super busy. Just like you, dogs get burned out and can become neurotic. While in Bosnia I seen dogs chew their own tails off. I have seen them peel their own skin off. Heck one dog that was put to sleep chewed his front feet off. All of them did this while sitting in their cages because they become so used to running 90mph that they could not slow down and relax. They were all nervous wrecks and most became dangerous towards the end. We had one handler who had his dog snap and attack him. And on top of this the dogs quite finding stuff.

Dogs are great tools but they have a very limited lifespan without rest. They cost a lot for what you get.

Back on topic.

Freedom will always come with a price .........
True patriots and heroes are willing to risk everything. How many we have amongst us is hard to say - but they are out there and will show up when the time of need arrives.

I'm afraid of what lies ahead for our future as a country - but I will stand tall, with my head held high, firm in my beliefs that this is the greatest country in the world. Because the people like you and I are what make this country great - not our government.

When the time comes, we will show the world what it means to be an American. When we've finally had enough, the few will stand up for the many. I firmly believe that we, as a nation, have once again become a "sleeping giant" - and nap time is almost over!

The question is, will you be watching or will you step forward and stand beside the few? Edited by FIRERESCUEO2