Inside Combat Rescue

Spots

Has anyone else been watching this series on Nat Geo? I've watched both episodes, and so far I'm loving it. Its not to overly dramatized, and shows the flip side of deployments with them joking around and just hanging out at times. I have considered rejoining the military just to take a shot at PJ last year, and I'm still considering it, so that makes the show even more interesting to me.  Also check out some of there training sometime. It is just as intense as any Special Forces group on the planet, with the difference being they are trained to go in a get fallen comrades as number 1 priority instead of kicking in doors.

Edited by Spots
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The series is a great look into life on a deployment, 90% sheer boredom and 10% sheer terror. I especially like it when they let us know the outcome of the patients. I have worked with a few PJ's over the years and they have all been great guys like those in the show.

If I could I would work as a PJ in a heartbeat. I would go over tomorrow if I could. I especially like riding in helicopters.

Dolomite

I've been watching it, and like you guys I love it. When I was a LEO back in Florida my agency would sometimes use the AF-SOC small arms range at Hurlburt Field for our qualifications. I met a few PJ's there and they always had a professional bearing. I'm glad we have SOF units, including PJ's, out there taking care of business!

Fabulous show, amazing young men.

They were visibly mad when they couldn't go get that Iraqi kid.

No red cross--one chopper with mini guns and one with .50 cals(I think).

If you haven't read Michael Yon's blog, Here is a story about the "Pedro's" from 2009.

From Yon's site,

"This U.S. Army rescue helicopter parked at Camp Bastion (Helmand) flies
with the red cross symbol allowing the enemy to get a better aim at the
helicopter.  Unfortunately, by displaying the red cross symbol, the
helicopters are not allowed to carry miniguns or other large weapons. 
This seems a rather questionable decision given that the Taliban and
other enemies could not give a hoot about law.  It is unclear why the
Army decided that a red cross provides more protection than miniguns
."

Edited by Mechanic_X