Possible problem with a gunn I sold @ show

I sold a Taurus pistol @ the gun show Saturday to an individual. I filled out the sale document with all of the man's info like I am supposed to do. I had the paper in my back pocket and the jeans got washed before I knew that my wife had picked them up. I don't normally have anything other than a wallet in my back pocket so she didn't find the paper.

Now what? Anyone have any thoughts on the situation? What should I do?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not required to keep a sales record of the transaction. I'd say just chalk it up to experience... check pockets next time, and don't worry about it.

I suppose if you really wanted to have some record for future reference, write down the make and model of the gun, everything you can remember (S/N perhaps), stick it in an envelope and mail it to yourself from a drop-box, and keep it sealed when you get it back. Might not be as good as a signed receipt, and you'll almost certainly never need it, but at least you'll have a back-dated statement that you did sell the gun.

Guest Verbal Kint

Stock up on cigarettes... that way you can buy your sexual freedom, at least a couple nights out of the week, from your cellmates.

:koolaid:

Guest GLOCKGUY

like molonlabetn You're not required to keep a sales record of the transaction. ive never keep one and ive sold alot of guns. i cant even remember what and who ive sold to

I was just concerned that if the gun was used in a crime that I may have a hard time proving that I had sold the gun. I have traded guns with dealers before but this was the first sale to an individual. I'll definately be more careful next time with the receipt.

Guest bkelm18

That paper that you used is not a legal document. It would hold no weight in court anyway if the gun was used in a crime. So, you can't really prove anything with it other than pointing the cops is the right direction if it were to be used in a crime and they came knockin. But they can't arrest you based solely on the fact that you bought the gun from a dealer and subsequently "sold" it but "lost" the paperwork.

Edited by bkelm18

I would save the wad of washed paper. In case the cops come to you to explain how your gun was used in a crime you can give that to them. Surely their CSI team can decipher the washed wad of paper pulp and free you from suspicion.

Cigarettes would be a good back up plan.

To be really safe you could always move in the middle of the night to Memphis where you easily will assimilate into the criminal culture there and easily be overlooked by law enforcement.

Guest nraforlife
like molonlabetn You're not required to keep a sales record of the transaction. ive never keep one and ive sold alot of guns. i cant even remember what and who ive sold to

But your SURE that you only sold to residents of TN right??? But please understand that I've sold ALL my guns to some big black dude with a gold tooth down by the projects for cash. Darn dog ate all the paperwork but he showed me a valid TN drivers license. Thought the name was funny, Jose Cuervo, but what the heck who am I to question a TN drivers license.

Edited by nraforlife
I would save the wad of washed paper. In case the cops come to you to explain how your gun was used in a crime you can give that to them. Surely their CSI team can decipher the washed wad of paper pulp and free you from suspicion.

Cigarettes would be a good back up plan.

To be really safe you could always move in the middle of the night to Memphis where you easily will assimilate into the criminal culture there and easily be overlooked by law enforcement.

Hey now, watch it sucka. We resemble that remark. :rolleyes:

Just make a note of date and everything else you can remember about the sale

and date it today. File it away with papers you keep forever. All you can do and

it will cover you in case you ever get a call about it.

Guest grimel
I filled out the sale document with all of the man's info like I am supposed to do.

Just what information are you supposed to get? Who are you supposed to give it to? Oh, and why are you supposed to get it?

Did Gnatfee pass a new law when I wasn't looking?

Guest canynracer
Stock up on cigarettes... that way you can buy your sexual freedom, at least a couple nights out of the week, from your cellmates.

:D

laughing017.giflaughing021.gif
Just what information are you supposed to get? Who are you supposed to give it to? Oh, and why are you supposed to get it?

Did Gnatfee pass a new law when I wasn't looking?

I have thought that it is wise to get the name, address, DL# and buyers signature and keep it as a way to CYA in case something ever happens and that gun was involved.

I have thought that it is wise to get the name, address, DL# and buyers signature and keep it as a way to CYA in case something ever happens and that gun was involved.

I concur, but you'll catch flack for that opinion.

In all honesty, if someone asked me for an ID or to sign a bill of sale for a personal purchase I'd tell them to get lost. Well, I'd actually say something else....

That's not the way guys do it. :taunt:

I guess that the odds of something happening that brings the cops to my door concerning that gun are slim. That's the first gun that I haven't traded so I guess that I'll just forget about getting a bill of sale next time. It sounds like it doesn't really matter anyway.

Thanks for the advise.:squint:

Guest HexHead
I sold a Taurus pistol @ the gun show Saturday to an individual. I filled out the sale document with all of the man's info like I am supposed to do.

What made you think you were "supposed" to fill anything out? Where did you get said "document"?

PERSONAL BILL OF SALE OR TRANSFER OF A FIREARM

SELLER

Name: ___________________________________________________________________________

Address: _________________________________________________________________________

City: ________________________________________ State: ________ ZIP: ______________

Date of Birth: __________________ Country / County of Birth ____________________________

Citizenship: _________________ State and Driver’s License #: ____________________________

BUYER

Name: ___________________________________________________________________________

Address: _________________________________________________________________________

City: ________________________________________ State: ________ ZIP: ______________

Date of Birth: __________________ Country / County of Birth ____________________________

Citizenship: _________________ State and Driver’s License #: ____________________________

CERTIFICATION OF THE BUYER / TRANSFEREE

<DIR><DIR>

1. I am the actual buyer / transferee of the firearm(s) (_) Yes (_) No

2. I am under indictment or have been arrested for any felony(s) (_) Yes (_) No

3. I am a fugitive from justice (_) Yes (_) No

4. I am an unlawful user or addicted to drugs or any controlled substance (_) Yes (_) No

5. I have been declared mentally defective (_) Yes (_) No

6. I have been committed to any mental institution (_) Yes (_) No

7. I was dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces (_) Yes (_) No

8. I am subject to a court order restraining me from harassing, stalking or threatening my child or an intimate partner. (_) Yes (_) No

9. I have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (_) Yes (_) No

10. If ever a United States Citizen, I have not renounced my citizenship (_) Yes (_) No

11. I am an illegal alien in the United States (_) Yes (_) No

</DIR></DIR>

FIREARM INFORMATION

Manufacturer Model Serial # Caliber/Gauge

1. ____________________________________________________________________________________

2. ____________________________________________________________________________________

Seller hereby certifies that the information given by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and that I am the legal owner of the firearm(s).

Signature: ___________________________________________________ Date: ____________________

Buyer hereby certifies that he/she is legally able to purchase the firearm(s) under applicable state and federal law and that the information given by me is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

Signature: ___________________________________________________ Date: ____________________

Guest Grout

If someone said I had to fill out that paper the sale would be off.No way in hell am I giving somebody my address and DL no. when they know I am a gun owner.

I started to use that form, then I got to thinking why should I, that's extra crap that is not necessary. As long as I verify the person is a resident of TN, not a felon, and over the age of 18, I don't have to do anthing else. Last few trades all I do is show them my HCP, they show me theirs (covers all 3 requirments) and let it go.

I would not even worry aboput loosing that piece of spare toliet paper.

I started to use that form, then I got to thinking why should I, that's extra crap that is not necessary. As long as I verify the person is a resident of TN, not a felon, and over the age of 18, I don't have to do anthing else. Last few trades all I do is show them my HCP, they show me theirs (covers all 3 requirments) and let it go.

I would not even worry aboput loosing that piece of spare toliet paper.

You are right and that is all I'll do if the situation comes up again!

Thanks everyone!