What is the proper signage as per the TN code?

Guest johnnyo

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings — Posting notice. —

</td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="12">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><!-- Text -->

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td rowspan="5">

</td> <td colspan="3" height="12">

</td> <td rowspan="5">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>

</td> <td>(a) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by §§ 39-17-1351 — 39-17-1360, at meetings conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted. Posted notices shall be displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

</td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="1">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td rowspan="5">

</td> <td rowspan="5">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>

</td> <td>PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

</td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="1">

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="5">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

And from the State Attorney General....

Opinion No. 07-43

Posting Notices that Handguns Are Not Permitted in Private Buildings

QUESTIONS

1. In order to prohibit handgun permit holders from carrying their handguns in a nongovernmental building, must the sign contain the exact language set forth in Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359(a)?

1. No. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359(a) requires the posting of a notice which uses language that is “substantially similar†to the language provided in the statute.

2. May a property owner use the international circle and slash symbol in lieu of a sign that uses the language prescribed by Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359(a)?

2. No. The international circle and slash symbol may not be used in lieu of a sign that uses the language prescribed by Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359(a).

3. In a building with multiple businesses, does Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359(a)require the posting of signs at every entrance to the entire building, or to each separate business that elects to prohibit handguns if the entire building has not prohibited the possession of handguns on the premises?

3. Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1359 requires the posting of notices at the entrances of each individual business that prohibits weapons on its property if possession of handguns has not been prohibited on the entire property.

Guest johnnyo

Thanks for all this wonderful information. The reason I'm asking is because of a local government building in my city just posted signs that read "No weapons allowed" I was just wondering how legal those were. It appears to me that there are only two signs one on two door but none on the gates or on any of the other doors. In that city building there is an employee's credit union, if on my day off i wanted to over there to do some business at the CU I can not take my weapon. Or say a retired employee wanted to do some business at the CU and has his or her carry permit. I think it's just wrong. again thanks for the information.

Guest clutepc

Next time I'm by the Airport I'll try and get a picture of one of their signs and post it in the photos.

I've seen other post of people wanting to know what they look like,

Guest GLOCKGUY

ill try to go by my cable comp. and get a picture of their sign on their door its legal. i get pissed every time i take my payment to them :cool:

Guest janwbrown616
Thanks for all this wonderful information. The reason I'm asking is because of a local government building in my city just posted signs that read "No weapons allowed" I was just wondering how legal those were. It appears to me that there are only two signs one on two door but none on the gates or on any of the other doors. In that city building there is an employee's credit union, if on my day off i wanted to over there to do some business at the CU I can not take my weapon. Or say a retired employee wanted to do some business at the CU and has his or her carry permit. I think it's just wrong. again thanks for the information.

I may be wrong, but if I see a sign that say's "No weapons allowed", I will take heed. It ain't worth the arrest, court time, hassle or maybe confiscation of my weapon to split hairs about proper wording.

Guest bkelm18
I may be wrong, but if I see a sign that say's "No weapons allowed", I will take heed. It ain't worth the arrest, court time, hassle or maybe confiscation of my weapon to split hairs about proper wording.

"No Weapons Allowed" carries no legal weight. The most they can do is ask you to leave.

Next time I'm by the Airport I'll try and get a picture of one of their signs and post it in the photos.

I've seen other post of people wanting to know what they look like,

The one at the airport is legal. I will be up there tomorrow and will take a picture.

Guest eyebedam
"No Weapons Allowed" carries no legal weight. The most they can do is ask you to leave.

That may be true but thats exactly whats posted on the door of the Lebanon courthouse/ Sheriffs dept/ Criminal juistice center along with a little picture of a gun/knife/scissors. Who wants to carry up there just to prove there no legal weight point. I was just up there yesterday & the place has Sheriffs deputys & Lebanon Police all over the place. Maybe you will reconsider the no legal weight issue when it cost you a couple thousand bucks in legal fees/court cost.

Guest nraforlife
Maybe they will reconsider their false arrest when you sue them.

+1.. Emotional pain and suffering, unable to sleep, unable to eat, afraid of LEO's now, sexual dysfunction etc., POUR IT ON, after all it is a jury of twelve and most love to give out BIG cash awards. "Ignorance of the law is no defense" cuts both ways..

Maybe they will reconsider their false arrest when you sue them.

It’s not “false arrest†and Police Officers operate under “qualified immunityâ€. To have a case you would need to establish that the Officer violated “clearly established lawâ€.

As you can see from this thread there isn’t anything clearly established about this law. :hat:

When innocent people get arrested they don’t get a payday. Goes back to the “legal system vs. Justice System†and “life isn’t fairâ€.