IMO, if the instructor is not certfied by DOS, doesn't follow the lesson plan from DOS, doesn't show the required DOS video, and doesn't issue you a certificate from DOS you won't get very far with the clerk who handles your application at a DMV office.   Before anyone takes this course as a sustitute for a local instructor I would verify with DOS that it is approved. 

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

I'd like to see that set of requirements get changed. No reason that simplistic course couldn't be taught online.

Probably a better one, also. Definitely cheaper.

Yes, a simple true/false test for $5 would be almost as good as constitutional carry....  WY and AZ have done it, why can't TN?

I'd like to see that set of requirements get changed. No reason that simplistic course couldn't be taught online.

Again, the class offered is for an AZ permit which doesn't require shooting and is honored in TN if you've not been a resident longer than 6 months.

As for the original question, I don't see how you could complete the shooting requirement Tennessee requires online.

Personally, I don't see why the majority of the classroom portion couldn't be provided online and free of charge by the State of Tennessee.  They could do it sort of like they do the online portion of the Hunter's Safety Course. 

I didn't take the Hunter's Safety Course when I was younger because I was of an age that I could get a license and hunt with my dad without needing it.  By the time I was beyond that age we weren't going hunting so I never got around to it.  A couple of years back, I decided I wanted to take the course but for an adult with a full-time job making time to attend the classes is not easy.  Instead, I took the online course, completed a course exam on there and then went to one of the Saturday morning groups.  We still had to sit through a couple of videos and some classroom time (which didn't make much sense, to me, given that the online course had already covered the same material) and then we took a final test.

I see no reason the entirety of the classroom material required for obtaining an HCP - including videos - couldn't be presented in an online format.  It could be set up so that a 'completed' certificate could be printed but only after all videos had been played, etc.  Then the applicant would sign up for a 'range day' where they would turn in that printed certificate, complete the same written test that we had to take at the end of the class and then complete the range requirement.  Charge $15 to $20 a head to cover the range time and to pay someone to oversee the tests/vet the range qualification and call it good.  Heck, they might even convince some local LE departments to do the second part for free as a 'public outreach/public relations' effort.

If TN is going to require a permit to exercise a right and then require that people pay $115 to apply for a permit to exercise a right then there should at least be a free/inexpensive option to meet the prerequisite class requirements prior to paying $115 to apply for a permit to exercise a right.  Right?

Edited by JAB