Help with Satellite Internet info

Well I am moving and the place I am moving to does not have Broadband available by DSL or Cable. So I have been looking at Wild Blue internet service.

Currently they are offering $50 of the equipment plus free install. But that is still about $250. There are used systems on eBay for much cheaper, but according to their website you can not do a self install. So I guess the cost of a step up off eBay plus paying for the installation may not be really saving any money.

Any information about use, installation, etc... that anyone could provide would be greatly helpful.

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY
Well I am moving and the place I am moving to does not have Broadband available by DSL or Cable. So I have been looking at Wild Blue internet service.

Currently they are offering $50 of the equipment plus free install. But that is still about $250. There are used systems on eBay for much cheaper, but according to their website you can not do a self install. So I guess the cost of a step up off eBay plus paying for the installation may not be really saving any money.

Any information about use, installation, etc... that anyone could provide would be greatly helpful.

Thanks.

yes please some help Lawguy i mean Fallguy out i rely on him way to much to see him not on here for awhile

My father, who lived way out in the sticks, tried Satellite Internet for roughly a year. His experience was not a pleasant one. This was about 2 years ago, so things could have changed for the better.

Back then, the price was fairly expensive. He also had tons of connection issues. He expected the somewhat rare sevice interuptions during a heavy storm (similar to Satellite TV), but it ended up being much worse. Even if moderate cloud cover happened to roll in, the service was out like a light. This happened on a weekly basis with him. God forbid they had a several days or a week of rain in the forecast, because he wouldn't be able to use the internet for the entire time. Like I said, this was about 2 years ago, and I'd imagine they've made some improvements, but I can't say for sure.

He also complained, because Wild Blue limited him to download and upload traffic. They base this amount on the plan you choose. if he ever got close to his limit, his connection speed was greatly reduced. The speeds were not fast to begin with. Faster than dial-up, yes, but nowhere near cable speeds. I think the speeds at that time were 1.5Mbps DL speed and 256Kbps UL speed. When that's your only option, I guess it's not bad.

That's about all I can remeber right now.

My parents also had this before comcast offered cable down their road (they had to start a petition to get them to do it). It wasn't necessarily bad, it would be ok if you just use it casually to check email/news/blog or whatever, but they have a fair access policy and depending on what package you purchase you will only be allowed a certain amount of data in a 24/hr period. I think they're policy was like 2gigs - which if you download alot of music/games/videos it can be eaten up pretty quick. Once you go over the limit they cut you down to dial-up speed and it pretty much sucks.

Also, if you were thinking about gaming at all (Gogo CoD4!), it is absolutely terrible. The latency it takes from your signal to go to a server and back is about 2-3 seconds, therefore any FPS or MMORPG is pretty much out the window.

You might check out Verizon's wireless broadband. It's way better than dial-up and I can even play MMORPG's, although it depends on how my latency is. Usually it's around 400-600ms which works just fine for those kinds of games.

Guest GUTTERbOY
You might check out Verizon's wireless broadband. It's way better than dial-up and I can even play MMORPG's, although it depends on how my latency is. Usually it's around 400-600ms which works just fine for those kinds of games.

My brother has a VZW broadband account; it's been my experience that the bandwidth can vary wildly by region. Sometimes it's great, comparable to tradtional broadband; other times it's like being back on dialup again. I wouldn't count on it for primary service, especially in a rural area.

As for satellite Internet... I experienced that once upon a time, too. As I recall, actual xfer rates weren't that bad, but there was horrible latency... click on a link, then wait seveal seconds before anything actually happens. It got annoying really fast. That was several years ago, though, so things may well have improved since then.

My brother has a VZW broadband account; it's been my experience that the bandwidth can vary wildly by region. Sometimes it's great, comparable to tradtional broadband; other times it's like being back on dialup again. I wouldn't count on it for primary service, especially in a rural area.

That's true to an extent, but for the most part it's pretty good. Even on it's worst day it's still better than dial-up.

I also like having the ability to use it on my laptop as I'm going down the highway on long trips. (While the wife is driving :D)

Guest GUTTERbOY

Maybe coverage is better in your area; I've used his VZW in town here before, and had pages take up to a minute to load. And I'm not talking about media-heavy stuff; just web forums like this one. Intolerable IMO.

But the portability of it is still a great selling point.

Guest jackdog

I have been on it for about four years. I use Hughes net which used to be directway. I purchased the equipment for 100.00 via graigs list install was 60.00 bucks. Not as fast as cable but not that bad either.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just to update anyone that may have been wondering....

I have got moved into the new place.....took a week before I could even get the dial-up. But that is what I have for now....and it is KILLING ME!!! Thankfully I have high-speed at work, but of course I am limited on the websites I can browse. I did take my laptop to the library the other day and can log on there....but not the same as being at home.

Till I know more about my future, just can't go with the satellite internet I don't think....have to pay $250+ up from and sign a 2 year contract. Even if I buy used equipment is still has to professionally installed which I'm not sure how much that would cost and you still have to do the 2 years.

It's very possiable my living situation could change again after the first of the year and I don't want to be locked into anything like that.

Guest db99wj

Glad to see you back. I saw a few weeks ago that you are in Milan. I spent a lot of time up at the Milan Arsenal pulling my National Guard duty. Lot's of deer around there.