CZ-82, WhooHooo!!!

Guest TN.Frank

Guest TN.Frank

Well, Austin made the trip from Knoxville to Crossville so we could "do the deal" on the CZ-82 that he had for sale. Field stripped it and gave it the once over(didn't really need it but I'm OCD like that) then took it out back and ran 5 rounds through it at 7 yards to see where it hits. Except for one flyer(my fault) the other 4 shots were in a nice little group(way better then my Ruger P95 would do, that's why I sold it)and were POA. I couldn't be happier with this little gun. Not sure if I'm going to refinish it or not, I kind of like those little "Battle Scars" on it. Lets you know it's a working gun and not a safe queen,LOL
Anyway, got 9x18mm dies coming, ordered some 95gr Hornady XTP's to load up from Midway USA. Probably make up some brass out of 9x19mm cases until StarLine gets on the ball and starts cranking out some brass again. Can't wait for Berry's to start making some more .364", 95gr plated bullets so I can order 1K to keep on hand for loading.
All in all this gun reminds me of the CZ-83 I had back in '98 and sold, man have I regretted that but now all is well once again.
cz821st5.jpg

Edited by TN.Frank
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TN.Frank
LOL, yep, the Poly rifling in my Glock I could see, this stuff it like "Is it there or not!" Must be because the bullets hit where I'm aiming at.

Nice! I like my CZ's, and my P-64 too.

I use the Lee trim gauge shell holder in my cordless drill. Not the fastest, but it works. The gauge pin is too fat for Luger brass, I chucked it in my drill and turned off a bit with a file.

I've had good success with cast boolits too: Lee's mold drops right about 100-102 grains. The smallest Lee scoop, 0.3 cc,  of Bullseye is about 2.8 grains, never over 3.0g; it's a safe load and cycles in all my 9x18 guns.

Guest TN.Frank
Yep, the Lee trim gauge is what I have on order. From the YouTube vid I saw if you run the case through the expander die then full length resize it the stock trim gauge will fit inside the case so that's how I'm going to play the game for now.
So, you're running cast lead bullets through your CZ-82? My take was that poly rifling doesn't run well with cast and lead tends to build up and cause unsafe pressures. I had to order a standard rifled Lone Wolf barrel for the Glock G30 that I had because I wanted to run the 45acp cast bullet loads that I made up for another gun through it. I didn't bother with the G19, just ordered Berry's plated. I'm sure in a couple three months things will be more "normal" and Berry's will start cranking out more plated .364" for the Mak ctg. Then I'll order a couple 1000 if funds allow.

If you can find it 9x18 ultra brass works fine.  I found 250 at a recent gun show (early feb?) and have had good success with it.

You have to run the 9x19 through the size die to take out the primer for the trimmer to work anyway so your method sounds about as efficient as it gets. 

I have shot nothing but lead in my makarov (also poly barrel) for the past 3k or so rounds.  Its fine.  The poly & lead issue is greatly overstated and is probably more of a "be aware of the issues" thing than a "never do this" thing.

My load is 5 grains of accurate 5. 

Edited by Jonnin
Guest TN.Frank
IIRC the 9mm Ultra(aka 9mm Police) is based on a 9x17mm(aka 380acp) ctg. so the head dia. would be totally different then the 9x18mm Mak which is the same head dia. as the 9x19mm round.
I'll just get some 9x19mm and convert it if I can't find any actual 9x18mm brass.

post got too long, redo. 

9x19 trimmed and 9x18 ultra are virtually identical.  Both are for a smaller bullet but will stretch the small amount to take a makarov sized round.

380 brass is no good, emergency only use, it splits and is too thin for the job.

naturally actual mak brass is superior to all 3.

9x19 is not the same size as 9x18, it has to be stretched.

all 4 cases will *work*.  All but the 380 work "very well".

Edited by Jonnin
Guest TN.Frank

9x19 is not the same size as 9x18, it has to be stretched.

The head diameter of 9x18mm Mak and 9x19mm Luger are exactly the same. The Luger case is tapered to accept a .355" bullet and is 1mm longer. If you expand the 9x19mm case to Mak specs and remove 1mm of length then it's identical to the 9x18mm Mak. The 9mm Ultra was based on the 380acp so the head will not be the same.
http://www.makarov.com/mak01.html
"Some speculate that the 9x18 Makarov was simply an adaptation of the German pre-WWII 9mm Ultra. However, there are important differences between the two. The 9mm Ultra is simply a lengthened version of the tapered 9mm Kurz (.380 ACP) with a standard 9mm (.356") bullet. The 9x18 Makarov uses a nearly cylindrical case and 9.2 mm (.363"-.365") bullet."
Check out the diagram of the ctgs.
9mmcases.jpg Edited by TN.Frank

From the YouTube vid I saw if you run the case through the expander die then full length resize it the stock trim gauge will fit inside the case

With 9mm Luger brass, I found that even after the expander and sizer die steps, it still has an hourglass shape. Just enough to grip the trim gauge, and this causes the brass to slip in the shellholder. Shaving a little metal off the gauge pin solved the problem for me.

My take was that poly rifling doesn't run well with cast and lead tends to build up and cause unsafe pressures.

IMO this is a non-issue except for anyone except Glock's lawyers. YMMV.