Bow hunting: want to start

So I am wanting to start bow hunting this year.  I will mainly be going after deer and have no experience.  Looking for a place or person that could point me in a direction to get started.  I've got a couple months before my birthday rolls around as far as getting an actual bow.  But I would at least like to know what fits me the best.

Thanks for the help!

Due to shoulder injuries and life I gave up bow hunting about 8 years ago.  I'm out of it and could not tell you what brands are good and which ones to skip over anymore.  I'm also ignorant to what the good archery shops in Nashville are these days, but I'm sure that others will chime in on that.  Bow hunting is one of the most rewarding things I've done in the woods.  Murphy goes hunting with you every time you are in the woods when you bow hunt.  Expect that if anything can go wrong it will.  I would estimate that I could kill 50 deer with a rifle for every one I can kill with a bow.  It is most definitely a game of patience.  Besides that learn the fundamentals of shooting a bow and practice every single day starting about now up until bow season starts.  Practice shooting in the gear that you will be hunting in.  Practice in locations that you are not familiar with and do not know yardages at.  Practice from a tree stand (a good buddy can make this endeavor much easier.)  There are a ton of tips and tricks, just make sure that you are proficient enough to hit a paper plate at a given range 9 out of 10 times before you take a shot on an animal at that range.  Also I liked to mark yardages on different trees or other landmarks around my stand.  I would even color code them to my sight pins (if the orange sight pin was set for 20 yards I would put an orange splotch of paint on a tree 20 yards away.)  Oh and do  your homework and stay in the stand.  During archery season deer have a tendency to be a bit unpredictable and non responsive to scents or calls.  I have had does come running to me using a bleat can, even in early season, they are curious animals, but don't over do it.  My bow hunting routine was to scout an area, know deer were using it then pack breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a good book and stay in a tree from sun up to sun down.  I shot a really nice 8 pointer one year during the first week of archery it was 84 degrees and I took the shot at 12:02.  By all means do not just hunt mornings and evenings.

Because of age I only hunt with a crossbow. My son hunts with Mathews, thats all I know. If TGO member Whiskey will chime in, he's up to date on archery equipment!

Whiskey....ding ding!!!

Dave S

Bowhunter’s are known for buying the latest and greatest every year. This means there are a lot of great deals on excellent bows on the used market. I would suggest buying a used bow from a dealer. A local dealer will help you more than anything. They will get the bow set up to your draw length, weight and dollar limits. Set a budget and get the best you can within that budget. A 10 year old model will kill just as well as a current model. Spend a little extra to get a good rest, sights and arrows. Stick with Carbon arrows, it’s cheaper in the long run. Start out light with your draw and work your way up.

There is tons of information about sighting in and tuning on the internet. Google is your friend.

Find a local bow range and go shoot with more experienced shooters. They will help you get better. They can check your form and help adjust your bow. I have always found bow shooters to be a friendly, helpful bunch. I have helped lots of new shooters on the range too.

Become a bow shooter before you consider becoming a bow hunter. IMHO, you should be able to hit a 1” dot 100% of the time at 10 yards, 80% of the time at 20 yards and more than 50% of the time at the maximum distance you plan to hunt, with no shots being more 2 inches off center. When I say hit the dot, breaking the edge counts. Some folks may think this is excessive and not needed for deer hunting, but I think that being a good shot with a bow take lots of practice and without that practice you are a menace in the woods, wounding deer and giving bow hunters a bad reputation.

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

DEFINITELY make friends with a knowledgable Archery Shop and have them set you up.

Too many variables to figure it all out on your own.

I went the Low Tech route and am Shooting Recurves.

The biggest challenge will be getting close enough to Game.

Bowhunter’s are known for buying the latest and greatest every year. This means there are a lot of great deals on excellent bows on the used market. I would suggest buying a used bow from a dealer. A local dealer will help you more than anything. They will get the bow set up to your draw length, weight and dollar limits. Set a budget and get the best you can within that budget. A 10 year old model will kill just as well as a current model. Spend a little extra to get a good rest, sights and arrows. Stick with Carbon arrows, it’s cheaper in the long run. Start out light with your draw and work your way up.

There is tons of information about sighting in and tuning on the internet. Google is your friend.

Find a local bow range and go shoot with more experienced shooters. They will help you get better. They can check your form and help adjust your bow. I have always found bow shooters to be a friendly, helpful bunch. I have helped lots of new shooters on the range too.

Become a bow shooter before you consider becoming a bow hunter. IMHO, you should be able to hit a 1” dot 100% of the time at 10 yards, 80% of the time at 20 yards and more than 50% of the time at the maximum distance you plan to hunt, with no shots being more 2 inches off center. When I say hit the dot, breaking the edge counts. Some folks may think this is excessive and not needed for deer hunting, but I think that being a good shot with a bow take lots of practice and without that practice you are a menace in the woods, wounding deer and giving bow hunters a bad reputation.

Good advice.  Remember if you are hitting within 2 inches at a given distance when shooting at an actual deer your adrenaline will be pumping and you may not be as accurate.  Shooting a deer with a bow always gave me a huge rush.  Just remember to breathe, relax, and if it has antlers don't pay much attention to them.  I remember one buck that looked like it had a rocking chair stuck to it's head passing within 20 yards of me, my knees were literally knocking together.  I botched that shot and have not forgiven myself since.

I have botched plenty of dead nuts shots due to buck fever. It has gotten better with age, but nothing like a head full of antlers to get the heart pumping. <br /><br />Good practice is running around the house and then taking a shot. Practice with your heart pumping.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input...may check out the Archery Den in Franklin, TN fairly soon.  Would love to hear of any other stores to check out.

Let me know how this place is.  Never been there and am in the bow market myself and will be checking out the Archery Den soon.

Got to go by the Archery Den this morning.  It is a neat shop an apparent when you walk in that they work on the bows as well.  I got to spend some time talking with Ray as I was the only customer around for a while.  Told him I wanted to get into the sport for hunting, and he provided me a lot of information.  They don't have used bows but on the slightest occasion and are a Matthews dealer so that's what they like and sell the most of.  I left him my e-mail to give to an instructor that does an introductory bow course at their place for $20 and when the time comes to buy a bow, I will be back.  He assured me that if I gave a price I wanted to stay under that they'd have me set up and dialed in at 10 yards before I left.

Obviously I'm going to get a lower end bow since I am new to the sport, but Ray was very honest with me about which 2 bows to look at the most and even recommended the lower priced bow more highly!  Needless to say it is easy to trust someone when they are that open and honest.  Great experience and will hopefully be back there for intro class soon and to purchase a bow a little later.