Blatant Self-Promotion

Guest Linoge

Why those guns? Known names, relatively high quality, dependable, and smallish - I am a little paranoid about being able to actually conceal the firearm.

Everyone else has given you the info about the guns that you mentioned so I'll only add that I have just this week started carrying my new XD40 compact. I love it and have had no problems yet with concealing it from the busybodies of the world.

You don't say exactly why you are paranoid about being able to conceal the gun but just so you will know in Tennessee you do not have to conceal carry. You are free to open carry if you want so if someone were to see the gun you would not have any problem unless you were asked to leave their property. That is all that they could do unless the location you are in has the proper signage up.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Linoge

Guns&Dobes: Not entirely sure why their webpage is wrong... I gleaned my numbers from their downloadable *.pdf, I believe, but I honestly do not remember at the moment. I do, however, agree with your daughter's suggestion :shrug:.

mikedwood: Another Glock vote :P. Even the grip safety on an XD would be a significant change for me, so I guess I will just have to exercise some care when the time comes.

bubbiesdad and Volzfan: Out of curiosity, what IWB holsters do you have? For that matter, what holster do any of you all use?

And on your question, Volzfan, I honestly do not know what causes my paranoia... probably living in Kalifornistan for a year, me not wanting to upset the people around me too badly, and a couple of other things. Maybe just coming to terms with it myself. That, and me just not wanting to encumber myself too badly with some big lump on the side of my body.

Guns&Dobes: Not entirely sure why their webpage is wrong... I gleaned my numbers from their downloadable *.pdf, I believe, but I honestly do not remember at the moment. I do, however, agree with your daughter's suggestion :shrug:.

mikedwood: Another Glock vote :P. Even the grip safety on an XD would be a significant change for me, so I guess I will just have to exercise some care when the time comes.

bubbiesdad and Volzfan: Out of curiosity, what IWB holsters do you have? For that matter, what holster do any of you all use?

And on your question, Volzfan, I honestly do not know what causes my paranoia... probably living in Kalifornistan for a year, me not wanting to upset the people around me too badly, and a couple of other things. Maybe just coming to terms with it myself. That, and me just not wanting to encumber myself too badly with some big lump on the side of my body.

Ross 18S :

http://www.rossleather.com/Concealment_Holsters-Inside_Waistband_Holsters/c8_28/p233/M18S_Snap_On_Belt_Loop_Holster_No_Thumb_Break/product_info.html

I paid a lot less than price on their site. $47.99 plus tax.

I wrote them and evidently they just don't get it, their reply was:

"Thank you for your interest in Springfield Armory Products. The information I have says the XD Sub compact indeed weighs 26 OZ with an empty 10 rd magazine inserted."

I guess they don't want to fix their mistake online LOL.

Guns&Dobes: Not entirely sure why their webpage is wrong... I gleaned my numbers from their downloadable *.pdf, I believe, but I honestly do not remember at the moment. I do, however, agree with your daughter's suggestion :).

mikedwood: Another Glock vote ;). Even the grip safety on an XD would be a significant change for me, so I guess I will just have to exercise some care when the time comes.

I am in the process of selling my current guns and this week I bought a Springfield XD 40 Compact. I have used the holster that comes with that gun but I am not satisfied with it at all. I am going to Guns & Leather in the morning to put a couple hundred rounds thru it and I'll check on holsters then. I have never used an IWB and am not sure that is what I want but I'll check them out. I also have placed an order for a Sig P226 Elite Two-Tone 40 cal.. It should be here by Wed. so I'll also be looking for a holster for it. I have seen that the Don Hume holsters get pretty high marks here.

Edited by Volzfan

Linoge,

I would like to say that what you carry depends on a couple of things....1. how you train. are you trained well enough to carry a double action? have you trained for single action only?

what are your preferences where that's concerned?

When I run around, I carry a p32 or a 9mm springfield EMP..why? because I'm good with the dang things. :)

shooting a target to stop a threat or to put the varmit down is alot like real estate...its all about location location location...where you put your rounds.

you can have 12+ rounds and shoot 2 bystanders and a stray dog..but if you don't hit the target, then you're in trouble.

same thing if you hit with non critical areas...if you're not a good shot, you can either practice or carry a larger caliber..one that will knock someone on their butt by shock and trauma, instead of a critical hit in say..the heart area.

If I had your list to buy, I'd add a keltec p3at or p32 to it as a back up...or for when I'm running to the zippy mart...and I'd pick the walther.

Glocks are ok...I'm not gonna bash them here...and the xd is a great weapon! I actually recommended one to my boss. He loves it...but he keeps it in the truck.:)

the main thing is to find one, shoot it..get used to it. change it later if you need to..but get a system in place that allows you to train with the weapon you carry and carry it with ease.

If you find something you like more, later on, then you can change up...

Btw, the walther? it's expensive! you may wish to try the makarov or its clones. they're cheaper and they are just as flawless in operation.

they're also just as small.

;)

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
I am in the process of selling my current guns and this week I bought a Springfield XD 40 Compact. I have used the holster that comes with that gun but I am not satisfied with it at all. I am going to Guns & Leather in the morning to put a couple hundred rounds thru it and I'll check on holsters then. I have never used an IWB and am not sure that is what I want but I'll check them out. I also have placed an order for a Sig P229 Elite Two-Tone 40 cal.. It should be here by Wed. so I'll also be looking for a holster for it. I have seen that the Don Hume holsters get pretty high marks here.

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB, you will not be sorry... You won't even know your gun is there... I'm a smaller guy so concealing has been difficult and uncomfortable but this holster is great!!!!

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

Guest Linoge

towerclimber37: Thanks for the additional things to think about... not sure if that makes the process any easier or harder :stare:. I am a good shot (not outstanding, and not a newbie) so shot placement should not be too much of a problem. The double/single action question is something of an annoyance, especially with the "half-cocked" thing started by Glock et al. Going to have to think on it.

Oh, and on the topic of cost, the Walther is not that much more expensive... only about $100 to $10 cheaper than an equivalently-caliber'd XD, depending on the model.

Definitely leaning towards CrossBreed or HBELeatherWorks for my holster solution, though - anyone have any experience with the latter?

Edited by Linoge