Anyone carrying a P239 in .40? or other options...

Wanted your thought and opinions...I currently carry a 229 and like everyone says its a bit bulky. I was thinking about going to a 239 CCP but wonder if its gonna be smaller enough to make the jump...other options would be a DW commander Bobtail in 10mm (might have same problem there), Kahr PM40(heard they can be painful to shoot), or Kahr PM9...im pretty biased towards larger calibers....dont even mention a Glock as thats not an option ;)

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a P239 SAS which is in .40 S&W and I bought it thinking it would make for an excellent "coat pocket" gun and an excellent carry gun in the warmer months.

It's no better than a Glock 30 in terms of carry. Somewhat bulky, a little heavier than I would like and the recoil makes it more of a secondary choice for when the primary carry gun runs dry.

That being said I haven't carried it in over a year and have thought about trading it a few dozen times but haven't yet because I can't really make up my mind if I want to get rid of it or not.

For the record I carry a 5" 1911 every day and I find it is easier to conceal and carry than the P239. Take that for what you will.

Guest rockytop

I have the P239 in 9mm, 40S&W, and 357Sig. I also have the P229 in 9mm and40S&W, and P232 in .380acp. I find the 239 much easier to carry than the 229. I am a sigalcoholic as you might have guessed, but I gave up on Sig making a true pocket gun and bought a Kahr PM9 9MM a year or so ago and it with an extra magazine, is my constant companion. Sigs are truly fine weapons and also the Kahr PM9. My .02 for what it's worth. Good luck.

Guest GLOCK2340

I have a 232 and really like it, but .380 isn't your thing what about the Walther PPS in 9mm or .40? I don't know much about them but it looks like a good alternative to the 239.

I had a P239 in .357sig... It was a very manageable size for concealed carry, my biggest issue was that it was almost as heavy as a P229, but with a lower capacity. Great shooter though.

i'd agree on that completely. --- as i too found my 239 in 9mm to be a bit heavy for really comfortable summer carry.

i like my 232 much better for carry but the .380 is a little lacking in 'punch'. and also, i have big hands so 'slide bite' can be an issue.

i've since settled on a CZ Rami P [2075] in 9mm.

pretty impressive ---[and this coming from a sig guy].

nice size and weight, good grip and very comfortable , reliable, and accurate to shoot.

i had a feel for the new sig p250 the other day and i think i'd like to shoot one of these. --- might be a good alternative.

;)

regards,

bob

Guest rockytop
Rocky,

You got much more Sig'ery then me...very nice. So what I gathered is that if im wanting a true pocket pistol and cant afford both I need to go with the Kahr?

Magic, the PM9 is lighter and thinner. Part of that is a couple less rounds capacity. I usually carry an extra mag to compensate for that. Unless a trip to Memphis is necessary, that should be sufficient. I primarily wear khaki casual pants and the Kahr "disapears" in the pocket. There are very few places I worry about "printing". I can't say that about the 239. I purchased my PM9 before the Sig P250c came out, so I can't comment on it. Sigs advertising also lists a P250sc, but when I called them to find out when it would be available, they wouldn't even give an expected date.

I mis-spoke about having the 229 in 9MM, but I do have a 225 and a 226 in 9MM.

I carry a P239 in .40 most of the time. I have found it to be very easy to conceal. My wife usually can't even tell.

The only times I don't carry my Sig, I drop a S&W 442 in my pocket. I've got a nice little pocket holster and it just disappears -- even when I'm wearing shorts. I prefer the Sig but sometimes the little J frame is just the ticket.

Oh, I usually carry the P239 in a MTAC. I've found the holster has much to do with comfort and concealability.

Is that the Minotaur Comptac? I have a comp-tac for the P229 but it doesnt have the leather backing...while it hides well I cant say its comfortable when not standing...also since the one side is pressed against my back with no material (except for the kydex covered area) I have noticed surface rust on the mag release of my sig :mad:

Is that the Minotaur Comptac? I have a comp-tac for the P229 but it doesnt have the leather backing...while it hides well I cant say its comfortable when not standing...also since the one side is pressed against my back with no material (except for the kydex covered area) I have noticed surface rust on the mag release of my sig :mad:

Yep, its made by Comptac. They list it on their website as the "Minotaur MTAC Holster". It has the leather backing. I don't really like the leather against my skin when I might sweat. I usually wear some type of t-shirt tucked in. Its more comfortable wearing the holster with some type of shirt under it.

The leather does a good job of keeping sweat off of the firearm. I haven't noticed and rust problems at all and I sweat a bunch... maybe I should lose some weight. :mad:

All in all, I really like the holster. The only drawback is that its a bit pricey.

I find my 239 in .40 to be the perfect CC pistol for me. Good size/weight for controllability, adequate mag capacity, stainless, no safeties, and single-stack for concealability. All handguns are compromises of one sort or another. The 239 is the best package (so far) for me. That said, I only carry it in cooler weather. Summer carry for me is a J-frame in a pocket holster.