Where to check out steel challenge

I would like to get into competitive shooting, but running and jumping and rolling on the ground just isn't going to work with my broken down body. So I was thinking steel challenge may be interesting, but I don't know where they shoot it around middle Tennessee. I think Dod and associates has one at the end of the month and I am going to try and check it out. Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Karl

Guest Travtastik
Oak ridge does steel challenge I think. The 2nd Sunday there is a practical pistol match at Chattanooga rifle club. It doesn't involve in running or much moving most of the time. It's a goodie of steel and paper. Usually need 100 rounds and you will need to call the MD to get in the gate if your not a member of the club.

I've only had the opportunity to shoot one steel challenge match at ORSA, but it was a blast.

Yes, you only stand in one spot for the most part, but it's an good format to practice transitional shooting.

The folks SO'ing and shooting the match are excellent resources and extremely helpful...as well as some incredible shooter...like John and Jason. :hat:

At ORSA, you can shoot .22 carbines (I shot my 10/22) or .22 cal handguns, as well as normal pistol calibers.

I plan to make the next Steel Challenge at ORSA. If you find yourself in East TN you should look into it. I think you'll find it a great venue.

We change up our fourth Sunday steel matches but usual do a Steel (like) Challenge a few times a year.
Please don't let the thought of running stop you. Even next Saturday's Run n Gun would be fine for you. Shoot at your own pace and if there are any shooting positions you don't feel comfortable with, we will figure out something.
The run n gun is also good for new shooters because there aren't many rules to follow. Be safe, have fun and shoot and reload at will. If you want to come out and watch, that is fine. Being your gear though because watching sucks.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info, I did not realize there was that much available out there. I was a member of ORSA a few years back, but with the shoulder surgeries and the distance from crossville I could not justify the expense. I will have to stop by as many shoots in middle Tennessee as I can get to in order to check them out. My local club does hold pistol shoots, but nothing on the scale the bigger clubs can put on. Again thanks for all the info.

Karl

Yep just saying that I had been a member of ORSA in the past. They used to leave the gates open during matches, I figure they still do so non members can shoot.

They usually post a code on the box for match day to open the gate.

I would like to get into competitive shooting, but running and jumping and rolling on the ground just isn't going to work with my broken down body. So I was thinking steel challenge may be interesting, but I don't know where they shoot it around middle Tennessee. I think Dod and associates has one at the end of the month and I am going to try and check it out. Any other suggestions.

Thanks

Karl

Hello Mr. Karl :wave: , hope you can come out and shoot with us on the 15th - RUN N GUN in Dickson. Just a few strides will take you to the next shooting port/box. We guarantee you will have a blast.

Hope to see ya at the range :woohoo:!!! 

Norma :cool:

• Like 1