First gun for kids?

G27

I'm going to purchase a .22lr for the kids to go to the range with me but am unsure what to get - I'm not only unsure about make/model but even whether I should get them a handgun or a rifle. I think my best bet is to get a .22lr rifle but thought I'd ask some of you fine folks what you think as many of you have already shared your passion for firearms with your children.

What do you think?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was growing up I started with a decent pellet gun, I think you can get the basics down pretty well with that. Once I learned how to be safe I moved on to a 410 and a youth model Remington 20 guage. In my opinion a properly sized shotgun is the way to go. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/youth/

Then again I never did much range shooting. I grew up in the country shooting birds and such. I think you will get 1000 different answers for this.

Ive still got that shotgun and it will be my sons first "real" gun as well.

Guest db99wj

The Cricket .22 rifle seems to be ideal for younger kids. That is the first rifle my kids have shot, 9 and 7. Reasons: It is built for kids, their size. It is a single shot. That way, exictment will not lead to subsequent unintended shots being fired. I will be buying one hopefully by year end. Just my :rofl:

Depending on the age of your children. I agree a Cricket is a good way to go. I just gave my nephew(5 yrs old) a Chipmunk. It's also a 22 single shot rifle. My son first was a Ruger 10-22(5 yrs old), Walther P22 (7 yrs old), Ruger Mark II (8 yrs old). Now he's 9 and this Christmas he will get my Browning Hi Power 9mm. Of course he does not have access to them. They live in the safe.

Guest db99wj
Yah, I think that Crickett .22 looks like a great choice - the single shot aspect is particularly attractive.

They have one to rent at RangeUsa. RangeUsa also has a kids class that is great. I suggest anyone with kids should check the classes out.

Guest sling

My first gun as a kid was an M44.... :rofl:

I was 9. It took awhile to be able to shoot accurately with it...but i got there.

Seriously, the rest of the guys are right. The cricket is definitely a good starter rifle for a child. :)

Guest 5Legion

My first pistol was a Browning Buckmark .22 - still have it and it is a great first pistol. However, I agree, start with a single shot .22 rifle. Henry makes one.

In the near future, I will be getting my 9 year old daughter a Cricket .22. They are small and cheap. A friend of mine purchased one for his son, and several thousand rounds later, it's still going strong.

As of now, she's very excited about shooting with me, but I'm not sure the enthusiasm will continue, so I'm going the cheap route.

My son has a Rossi Youth combo. 22 $ .410 barrels with a carry case for about

120.00 from Academy Sports (Dick's has them too) it has been a great little rifle.

My daughter wants a cub-t in pink from Savage. The Savage's are more like a real rifle and very accurate according to my brother. Take look at the Savage cub series rifles.

Gander Mountian had several Crickets to choose from when I was in there last month. They seem to be solid little rifles and it reminded me of the rifle I learned to shoot with. It was a little Winchester 67 single shot .22 rifle, just like the cricket. A single shot is a great way to to go, while teaching a child to shoot.

Sadly, I traded that rifle away about 15 years ago. Now I wish I had it back to teach my own kids with. :rolleyes:

Guest abailey362

I learned on a remington model 33 (early 1930's single shot .22) It's about the size of a 10/22 or maybe a bit smaller. Good weight and it's still something that I shoot today, as opposed to a cricket that would just feel funny.

Guest rufusgooch

When my kids were 11 and 8; I bought them a Savage/Stevens model 15b single shot 22. Load a round, cock the bolt and fire. Theyve shot thousands of round through that gun. Bought it at a pawn shop for 45 bucks. It's still in my gun safe and the kids now 24 and 21 still take it to my sisters farm in Baxter to shoot. The good old guns are still out there and they shoot better than any new gun you can buy. My grand kids will learn how to shoot with that same gun.

Yah, upon reflection, the one thing about the Crickett is that it really doesn't look like it would 'age' well - I doubt it's something the kids will still want to shoot in 10-20 years or more.

Still contemplating. Will probably find something similar.

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

• 3 months later...

Well, thanks to the fine advice I gathered here on TGO, I picked up a Crickett rifle for my son yesterday. Neat little rifle, hope to get him to the range this afternoon or tomorrow...

Crickett.jpg

I could only find one shop in town that had them in stock (and not pink) so I drove out to Dick's and grabbed it, found it's on sale for $129!

As for 'again', I figured I'd use it to train the children as when they got old enough for a Ruger or Savage, I'd buy one of those for them. This is just the right size for a little-'un...

Edited by crimsonaudio
Guest Rugerman

I am going to disagree with EVERYONE in here and say a Ruger Single Six. It will be fun to shoot now and in 20 years... and will retain value. A good single action revolver that forces you to slow down and take your shot.

singsix.jpg

pellet rifle is a great way to learn. They are quiet, no recoil, easy to handle. They don't shoot far. You can teach them all of the basics of handling and safety and they are accurate. It's a great way to learn. Then move them up to a .17 or a .22.

You definitely do not want to teach a child just learning to handle a gun with a pistol. Too difficult, to easy to get hurt, much easier to make a big mistake and hurt someone else. Let them practice a while with a rifle, then let them try a pistol. A revolver is a fun and great pistol, and to buy one is one thing to have that as their first shooting experience is a bit much IMO.

Guest Traumaslave

Cricket is Chipmunk. Cricket is just the name of the same rifle that is produced by Keystone Sporting Arms out of PA. My almost 4 yr old son loves shooting his and I hope my daughter will as well when she is old enough to hold it. Every time Daddy shoots, he has to also. Normally he only wants to shoot "the little bullets" (.22 shorts) but every once in a while he wants to shoot "a big one". His is the black synthetic and hers is the pink. Both with the matching cases.

Keystone also makes adult sized models and heavy barreled match rifles. All with a wide range of stocks including a line of 10/22 replacement stocks. I'm not so pleased with the action :screwy:, IMO it's a rough bolt and the trigger sux but, it is a kids first and doesn't have to be a fine jeweled machine.