Snake guns

Chris

... a Super Comanche that has chokes to shoot .45 L.C. / .410. The choke tube stops the bird shot from swirling as it exits the muzzle, for a much more even pattern. Lots of fun to shoot!

^^^ This right 'cheer' --- at about 10 feet, a 410 loaded with 6-shot will cut a Pepsi can clean in two. At 15 feet, there were enough holes to stop that Pepsi can from ever holding any liquid again. 

I ain't particularly afraid of snakes, but if a venomous snake decides to occupy the area immediately adjacent to me, one of us has got to go. And I don't plan on it being me ...  Haven't tried the poor man's Contender (the Super Comanche) on a snake yet, but it's a hoot to shoot.  At about 3 pounds, I wouldn't recommend it as an EDC (ha), but for snakes and other critters, it ought to do the job.  Ought to work for self-defense against 2-legged snakes, too.  And it ain't bad at all to shoot -- my nephew's GF -- who weighs maybe 90, soaking wet, had a big 'ol grin after popping a few of those dangerous soda cans ... 'course, 3 pounds of gun soaks up a lot of recoil.

^^^ This right 'cheer' --- at about 10 feet, a 410 loaded with 6-shot will cut a Pepsi can clean in two. At 15 feet, there were enough holes to stop that Pepsi can from ever holding any liquid again. 

I ain't particularly afraid of snakes, but if a venomous snake decides to occupy the area immediately adjacent to me, one of us has got to go. And I don't plan on it being me ...  Haven't tried the poor man's Contender (the Super Comanche) on a snake yet, but it's a hoot to shoot.  At about 3 pounds, I wouldn't recommend it as an EDC (ha), but for snakes and other critters, it ought to do the job.  Ought to work for self-defense against 2-legged snakes, too.  And it ain't bad at all to shoot -- my nephew's GF -- who weighs maybe 90, soaking wet, had a big 'ol grin after popping a few of those dangerous soda cans ... 'course, 3 pounds of gun soaks up a lot of recoil.

My mom has been sort of infatuated with Taurus' Judge revolvers ever since they came out.  Something about the idea of being able to fire .410 shells and .45 ammo from the same gun apparently just really appeals to her.  What she doesn't like, however, is the price that The Judge has on it so she eventually started mentioning an interest in just about anything so chambered.

One day at my favorite LGS, I saw that they had a used Comanche.  I kind of wanted it for myself but knew that mom wanted it more so I told her about it.  She ended up going to look at it and it came home with her.  You are right, it is a complete hoot to shoot - moreso with the .410 than with the .45, IMO.  In fact, if I had one I would likely buy one box of .45 for it (just in case), put the .45 barrel tip in a drawer so it wouldn't get lost and pretty much only ever shoot .410 from it.  Heck, that thing is so fun to shoot that it has me considering picking up one of those Leinad .45/.410 models one of these days (I think the double barrel version might be interesting.)

Edited by JAB

I first considered a Judge or Governor -- -- then, a Thompson -- -- but had a hard time justifying the cost for something that wouldn't get a lot of use, other than on the farm.  Heard about the Super Comanche, and lucked up on a used one -- cheap.  Thought I'd take a chance on it, and have had more fun with it than a kid in a candy shop.  Got a cheap fabric belt holster, and that way, I can carry it around on the farm.  It ain't pleasant, though.  3 pounds hanging on your belt gets uncomfortable after a little while.  But since my brother has had a couple of snakes (copperhead and rattler) right around his yard, though it might be of use.  And even at 3 #s, it's easier to tote than a full-sized shotgun, even a cut-down "snake charmer" -- got one of those, too.

I don't figure it will get a lot of 45LC through it, but we've shot the soup out of 410s, and it is FUN ! Haven't seen the double-barreled Leinad, but it would likely be twice the fun.

That little "choke" that screws on the end of the Super Comanche's barrel might be why the pattern is so tight -- the 410 "choke" has straight grooves (or rifling, if you wish) that takes the "spin" out of the shot,  Haven't tried it at 20 yards or anything close to that, but at 10-15 feet, it's a tight enough pattern that you need to aim, rather than just point.

If I can luck up on another, just might buy it too.  Least that way I'd have a little "balance" on my belt -- if it doesn't pull my pants off ...

I first considered a Judge or Governor -- -- then, a Thompson -- -- but had a hard time justifying the cost for something that wouldn't get a lot of use, other than on the farm.  Heard about the Super Comanche, and lucked up on a used one -- cheap.  Thought I'd take a chance on it, and have had more fun with it than a kid in a candy shop.  Got a cheap fabric belt holster, and that way, I can carry it around on the farm.  It ain't pleasant, though.  3 pounds hanging on your belt gets uncomfortable after a little while.  But since my brother has had a couple of snakes (copperhead and rattler) right around his yard, though it might be of use.  And even at 3 #s, it's easier to tote than a full-sized shotgun, even a cut-down "snake charmer" -- got one of those, too.

I don't figure it will get a lot of 45LC through it, but we've shot the soup out of 410s, and it is FUN ! Haven't seen the double-barreled Leinad, but it would likely be twice the fun.

That little "choke" that screws on the end of the Super Comanche's barrel might be why the pattern is so tight -- the 410 "choke" has straight grooves (or rifling, if you wish) that takes the "spin" out of the shot,  Haven't tried it at 20 yards or anything close to that, but at 10-15 feet, it's a tight enough pattern that you need to aim, rather than just point.

If I can luck up on another, just might buy it too.  Least that way I'd have a little "balance" on my belt -- if it doesn't pull my pants off ...

Well, I don't know how 'fun' the Leinad would be.  It is basically a Derringer size pistol but it looks like a mini, side by side, double-barrel shotgun.  The barrels on most of them are pretty short.  I have seen single barrel models, too.  The most fun looking ones I have seen had extended barrels - I'm guessing eight to ten inches or so - but they still had the same tiny, birds head style grip as the shorter barreled models.  They used to be made in Ducktown, TN by an independent manufacturer but that company went out of business and I think Cobray picked up the rights to make them.  They aren't exactly known as a 'high quality' gun but I have read that they can actually be kind of fun with .410 shells.

This is a link to a couple of pics on BING of the double-barrel version:

http://www.pooshka.com/image.php?p=0001756765_A_1313193019_595754

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=leinad+45%2f410+derringer&FORM=HDRSC2&id=08CB4FAB22688CEA3AF775877D7E948AF4E325B6&selectedIndex=5#view=detail&id=62C4F0A91180AD8A08C24C6FF0FA1E8BAC0E0377&selectedIndex=16

A pic of the single barrel version:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=leinad+45%2f410+derringer&FORM=HDRSC2&id=08CB4FAB22688CEA3AF775877D7E948AF4E325B6&selectedIndex=5#view=detail&id=37E14A1B528D15D63051D0FA1A6004835A8665A9&selectedIndex=5

And a pic of the extended barrel version that I think might be the most fun - although pretty much impossible to conceal (the barrels are, apparently, eleven inches.)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=leinad+45%2f410+derringer&FORM=HDRSC2&id=08CB4FAB22688CEA3AF775877D7E948AF4E325B6&selectedIndex=5#view=detail&id=897281E6B0246DFEDA7A4782785AD6604457A899&selectedIndex=2

Apparently there is also an O/U version of the double barrel.  I haven't seen one of those in person and personally I like the 'mini coach gun' look of the side by side better:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=leinad+45%2f410+derringer&FORM=HDRSC2&id=08CB4FAB22688CEA3AF775877D7E948AF4E325B6&selectedIndex=5#view=detail&id=7325E84D9E20E0C105D2578BD2FDF74B7C422AF7&selectedIndex=30

Edited by JAB

Expect you are right, JAB, about that little grip taking a lot of the fun out of it.  I've got an NAA .22magnum that will nearly jump out of my hand with the bird's head grip.  I could only get one finger on the grip before I added an oversized rubber grip to it, where I can get two fingers now.  Thanks for the pics.  Think I'll just keep my eyes open for another Super Comanche.

Expect you are right, JAB, about that little grip taking a lot of the fun out of it.  I've got an NAA .22magnum that will nearly jump out of my hand with the bird's head grip.  I could only get one finger on the grip before I added an oversized rubber grip to it, where I can get two fingers now.  Thanks for the pics.  Think I'll just keep my eyes open for another Super Comanche.

I put the oversized, rubber grips on my NAA magnum, too.  The 'jump around' factory is the reason I think the version of the Leinad with the 11 inch barrels might be the most fun one to have - I'd hang on to the foregrip with my left hand more like a true pistol grip shotgun.  I would think of it as kind of like getting an extremely short sawed-off, double barreled shotgun with a pistol grip without having to do the paperwork/pay the taxes since it has always been a 'handgun'.

Edited by JAB

Safeandsecure, I got my Super Comanche through Bud's Gun Shop. Have you seen the one where the guy ground down the rear sight, and put wood grips on it. Looks like something right out of "Lonesome Dove", that Ole Gus would have hanging on his hip.

Safeandsecure, I got my Super Comanche through Bud's Gun Shop. Have you seen the one where the guy ground down the rear sight, and put wood grips on it. Looks like something right out of "Lonesome Dove", that Ole Gus would have hanging on his hip.

Haven't seen that --- but I bet it would up the "cool" factor by about a 1000% ! And I appreciate the Bud's reference, too.  Appears I might hafta get a little more serious about finding another, as my brother has taken ownership of mine -- and I really don't mind, with the snake problems he's had this year (although the rattler this year wasn't his first, the copperhead was).  Heck, if I get my hands on another one, I know I'd be tickled to be compared to Gus !

When mom first got hers and I was looking for more info on them, I came across a thread on some forum or another where a guy talked about removing the rear sights and grinding down the front sight into something more like a traditional shotgun 'bead'.  He said that he never fired .45 rounds from it, anyhow, and that it worked better with .410 that way. Don't know where it was that he lived - obviously somewhere that there are grouse - but he said that he carried it when he was hunting other game with a rifle in case he came across a grouse.  He claimed to have taken a couple of grouse with it at short range as they were taking flight from the ground.

Edited by JAB
I had one of those .410 single had the shortest barrel they made not sure on length but it was very very short shot it once with .410 bird shot cut my hand pretty good and I barley still had it in my hand. It said .410 slug/ .45lc on it you couldn't pay me to do that.

I've encountered a lot of snakes this year. Try using shot shell in 38 or 44 and aim about 1-1.5 inches behind the head. Works every time and while out in field jut keep one or two in revolver and other chambers for bigger threats.

I've got the .38 CCI shots shells in a 2" Taurus 85. What's the practical snake range for that setup? ... 5 to 6 feet maybe?

Edit: More online snooping suggests practical range is up to around 8 feet. Edited by Djay3