Gallatin Police Department Sitting on $1500 1911

Guest Linoge

Guest canynracer
I've been asked, but, only after producing a permit. Nothing good ever comes from volunteering information.

I have my wallet setup such that withdrawing my DL does NOT show my HCP. This was the result of being stopped in N.C. and the trooper seeing the permit behind the DL. Then asking to see that ID since it isn't allowed to have TWO DL's. The result was less than enjoyable.

Good thing it wasnt TN.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
It would have been better to find out at renewal time.....:popcorn:

Yeah, unless renewal time is three yrs away...then unlawful carrying of a loaded firearm would go over well...intent to go armed...

to each his own.

Guest ColtCCO
Yeah, unless renewal time is three yrs away...then unlawful carrying of a loaded firearm would go over well...intent to go armed...

to each his own.

I'm not following your logic. If the revocation is accidental, ie, not lawful, then there should be no legal case for charging someone with the crime of going armed. Who would prosecute that? If the revocation was lawful, then you're going to get charged with going armed, anyway. I don't see how being 3 years vs. 3 minutes away from renewal makes any difference. A valid carry permit is an affirmative defense to the crime of going armed, whether or not the state checks the wrong box or pushes the wrong button.

There's two ways it can go down.

1. Get pulled over for speeding, while carrying. Give carry permit to officer to be polite. Get charged with a Misdemeanor crime of going armed, call Dept of Safety, find out it was a mistake, get permit instantly reinstated while on the phone, but still spend the next month driving between Knoxville and Nashville 3 times, at a cost of hundred of dollars, getting it all straightened out in court, and then wait another month for your pistol to be returned. That's what happened to me.

2. Go in to renew your permit at DMV, pay and submit renewal, get a call or letter from Dept of Safety saying they can't renew it because it was canceled, figure out why, inform them that it was a mistake, and get permit instantly reinstated while on the phone.

Yeah, I'll take option 2. Time to renewal doesn't seem to enter into the equation, if the state's gonna screw up my paperwork again, I'll take the "not get charged with a crime" method of finding out.

I've been asked, but, only after producing a permit. Nothing good ever comes from volunteering information.

I have my wallet setup such that withdrawing my DL does NOT show my HCP. This was the result of being stopped in N.C. and the trooper seeing the permit behind the DL. Then asking to see that ID since it isn't allowed to have TWO DL's. The result was less than enjoyable.

Good thing it wasnt TN.

:popcorn:

Why is that?

I'm not following your logic. If the revocation is accidental, ie, not lawful, then there should be no legal case for charging someone with the crime of going armed. Who would prosecute that? If the revocation was lawful, then you're going to get charged with going armed, anyway. I don't see how being 3 years vs. 3 minutes away from renewal makes any difference. A valid carry permit is an affirmative defense to the crime of going armed, whether or not the state checks the wrong box or pushes the wrong button.

1. Get pulled over for speeding, while carrying. Give carry permit to officer to be polite. Get charged with a Misdemeanor crime of going armed, call Dept of Safety, find out it was a mistake, get permit instantly reinstated while on the phone, but still spend the next month driving between Knoxville and Nashville 3 times, at a cost of hundred of dollars, getting it all straightened out in court, and then wait another month for your pistol to be returned. That's what happened to me.

2. Go in to renew your permit at DMV, pay and submit renewal, get a call or letter from Dept of Safety saying they can't renew it because it was canceled, figure out why, inform them that it was a mistake, and get permit instantly reinstated while on the phone.

Yeah, I'll take option 2. Time to renewal doesn't seem to enter into the equation, if the state's gonna screw up my paperwork again, I'll take the "not get charged with a crime" method of finding out.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000

Guest canynracer

Time to renewal DOES enter in. If you didnt know TDOS made a mistake, you would have NO idea it was revoke (or whatever), so basically, If I JUST got my permit 6mos ago, I would have no clue that they "Made a mistake" until I went to renew, 3 years from now....

you caught yours fairly close to when the mistake was made, so it was identified and addressed.

Now, If I dont have to renew 3 years from now, and they pull me over 1.5 yrs from now, well now it doesnt look like that much of a "mistake" and they make it stick, or I go through twice the headache to get it cleared.

BTW onece they found out it was a mistake, dod your "crime" charge stick?

like I said, to each his own, I will continue to hand mine as the situation fits.

Guest ColtCCO

...you caught yours fairly close to when the mistake was made, so it was identified and addressed.

Actually it was nearly 2 years after that I found out - I can't see how another year would have made their mistake invisible, as it's computerized. Again, two ways to find out. One of them involves detainment, firearm confiscation, and being cited on the side of the highway at a minimum, and being taken into police custody until you make bail if you have any other crimes on record, even ones that are not related to carry permit law - I was lucky and did not. The other involves a phone call or three.

Not saying you shouldn't hand your permit over if you feel the need - by all means, go ahead. For me, given the apparent ease with which the error can be made by some clerk, and the no-longer-theoretical consequences of that sort of mistake, it's been filed firmly under "Inviting The Government Into My Life"

yep, I meant circumstance.

Oh, yeah, totally different. In one case needlessly giving the HCP to the officer resulted in losing the 1911 for a looooong time. In the other having the trooper see a second state ID caused a problem. Yep, entirely different. Giving up information needlessly in both situations resulted in less than great events.

Guest canynracer
Oh, yeah, totally different. In one case needlessly giving the HCP to the officer resulted in losing the 1911 for a looooong time. In the other having the trooper see a second state ID caused a problem. Yep, entirely different. Giving up information needlessly in both situations resulted in less than great events.

Yes...for YOU...like I said, to each his own, I havent had a problem yet. Maybe I will, maybe not...

Yes, to each his own.

It is simply that this is a prime example for those that say "What bad could happen from giving over you HCP with you DL?"

Seems like most in that group didn't think anything bad could ever happen, before this incident .......maybe some still don't even.

Wait a minute,

Does the DOS not notify youwhen your HCP has been suspended, like they do when your DL has been susoended? You guy's are making me paraniod about them making another mistake.:screwy:

Yes, If they actually revoke or suspend your HCP they will send you a letter saying you have 10 days to turn in your HCP.

Guest ColtCCO
Yes, If they actually revoke or suspend your HCP they will send you a letter saying you have 10 days to turn in your HCP.

In theory, anyway - I never received one when they canceled mine, even though I've been at the address on the HCP for the past 2 years.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I hope you weren't carrying at the time, since it sounds like if you were, you didn't inform the LEO as required by law. Or you might have informed him for all I know... but if you didn't, that might have had something to do with the unpleasant experience.

In theory, anyway - I never received one when they canceled mine, even though I've been at the address on the HCP for the past 2 years.

I think that goes back to yours showing canceled because of some computer or human input error and was not actually, or at least didn't go through the proper procedure, to be canceled.

I hope you weren't carrying at the time, since it sounds like if you were, you didn't inform the LEO as required by law. Or you might have informed him for all I know... but if you didn't, that might have had something to do with the unpleasant experience.

If I had been carrying it would have been the absolute height of stupidity to say anything since NC wasn't playing nice with Tn.

Guest shadow12
If I had been carrying it would have been the absolute height of stupidity to say anything since NC wasn't playing nice with Tn.

Okay, Now I have to say something, That is in no way your height of stupidity. You can go much higher, I've known you a day or two.:D

****NEWS FLASH****

ColtCCO's dad has apparently convinced the Gallatin Police Department to release the pistol in question.

Full story is now available for reading on his blog.

Edited by jwp
Guest GUTTERbOY
Finally, after about 7-point-something weeks, I got my gun back. Thanks to all who offered help and advice - I'm very glad to have my stuff back after all this ordeal. I'd take bids on the extra confiscated-and-returned TN carry permit as a genuine two-of-a-kind collectible, but I'm certain that's not legal. :)
****NEWS FLASH****

ColtCCO's dad has apparently convinced the Gallatin Police Department to release the pistol in question.

Full story is now available for reading on his blog.

think.gif