9mm

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

can't go wrong with 40 or 45. If you really want to knock em on there tutu then 357 sign or 10mm is the way to go. Thats just my 2 cents and I didnt stay at a holiday inn last night.

Guest jps37033

Sorry :)

Didnt mean to start a fuss. I just dont understand how a 32, 380, or even a 22 couldnt be a home defense round. I wouldnt want to get shot with any, and I know if i did, I wouldnt keep on the same path. Why is it that those arent suitable to stop an intruder?

Guest superslacker

You would probably be better served to inquire about one or two brands of handgun in one or two calibers. Your topic is a little too broad to give a good answer to your question. The small and fast calibers vs. the big and slow caliber debate will likely never be settled, then you get into more rounds in the magazine in smaller calibers vs. "You don't need that many rounds with a .45, he'll be down after one shot".

Guest jps37033

OhShoot. Why did you delete. I didnt mean to start a bad thread. I have just always wondered what the fuss was about, and thought ya'll might help. Hope I didnt offend you.

knock-down power - .45acp

reliability - most all calibers are good with .357sig having a small margin of lead because of bottelneck casing design.

cost - 9mm

overall rating - .40S&W or .45acp in my book

remember a .22LR in your hand is better than a .44mag in the safe.

i see the .32acp and .380acp as pocket gun calibers when you need deep concealment.

i like 9mm for a range only gun but many use it for self-defense also.

.357sig is a more expensive round, more than any of the others. similar capacity as 9mm and .40S&W in same gun. highly penetrative round.

.40S&W is a very common caliber for selfdefense and quite adequate. it is the minimum i would carry as a primary in semiauto.

.45acp is the standard for self-defense in a semi auto. great knockdown power, good capacity, very reliable. my personal favorite round

not necessarily. with any firearm, you have to put a round in a critical area...always shoot center mass. :D

but when it comes down to it, for a home defense round, the best round is a 12 gauge shotgun.

since you can't walk around in public with a 12 gauge without raising eyebrows then go with what is the most comfortable and what you can hit someone with.

the 1911 was MADE to knock folks down. specifically, it was tailor made to kill Barbary pirates hopped up on hash and raiding American ships.

the navy was using the .38 webley and it just didn't stop them. the .45 did.

the reason the .357 works so well is that it seems to have the perfect balance of weight and speed to do the job..still, if you don't hit in a critical area, you STILL run the risk of not stopping them.

personally, I've seen cases of people shot with a .25 and they died.

it pretty much comes down to how comfortable you feel after doing your own investigations, how much you care to spend and how much you want to train in order to be competent enough to defend yourself.

that being said..I usually carry a 9mm or .32..

I can do the job with either one, but if I KNEW I was going into a bad situation, you can bet your last drachma, I would be carrying a .45

Edited by towerclimber37
not necessarily. with any firearm, you have to put a round in a critical area...always shoot center mass. :)

but when it comes down to it, for a home defense round, the best round is a 12 gauge shotgun.

since you can't walk around in public with a 12 gauge without raising eyebrows then go with what is the most comfortable and what you can hit someone with.

the 1911 was MADE to knock folks down. specifically, it was tailor made to kill Barbary pirates hopped up on hash and raiding American ships.

the navy was using the .38 webley and it just didn't stop them. the .45 did.

the reason the .357 works so well is that it seems to have the perfect balance of weight and speed to do the job..still, if you don't hit in a critical area, you STILL run the risk of not stopping them.

personally, I've seen cases of people shot with a .25 and they died.

it pretty much comes down to how comfortable you feel after doing your own investigations, how much you care to spend and how much you want to train in order to be competent enough to defend yourself.

that being said..I usually carry a 9mm or .32..

I can do the job with either one, but if I KNEW I was going into a bad situation, you can bet your last drachma, I would be carrying a .45

Well said Ellioteito!

I usually carry a 9mm or a 32auto myself.

I personally want more rounds then fewer,and prefer less recoil for fast one handed shooting.

I picture myself getting into an extremely close self defense situation requiring my to fire close to my body,and having my 1911 flipping up and smacking me square in the chin :D

OhShoot. Why did you delete. I didnt mean to start a bad thread. I have just always wondered what the fuss was about, and thought ya'll might help. Hope I didnt offend you.

Oh, no no, no offense of any kind taken.

It's just such a HUGE subject, with so many variables with caliber size, type of bullet, type of powder load, etc. Often evolves into Holy War.

Tell ya the truth, my comment started out to be (of those you mentioned) "forget .32 and .380 as a PRIMARY defense round. Most would agree, a few would not.

Also, you left out .38 in your main common rounds that you mentioned....very versatile round especially in +P variant, can be used in .357 gun of course, and many prefer that INSTEAD of .357 in their gun.

For sure, though, if you only need defense around the home, it's difficult to beat a 12 ga. shotgun for awesome stopping power.

As much as I like handguns, I'll grab a shottie for sure if I can. And have, a couple of times in the distant past, though never had to fire it in anger (the sight of it sufficed).

A $325 Remington 870 or equivalent is the best bang for the buck in all of firearms, IMNSHO.

It's just a little much to carry around concealed :D

- OS

870-zombie.jpg

For the umpteenbillionth time. THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET.

Ask James Brady and President Reagan about being shot with a .22. The reason many mobsters used it was because you could get some one dead really quickly with a shot behind the ear with a small .22 and most people wouldn't even notice the sound.

There have been people shot with a .40 that have kept coming.

As has been stated before. Hitting critical areas of the body is the key to ending a gun fight. In the home a shotgun is preferred because of the ability to "spray and pray" but I still think that a handgun with nice hollow points is better since I have small kids running around that might get hit in the spray pattern of a shotgun blast.

.... In the home a shotgun is preferred because of the ability to "spray and pray" but I still think that a handgun with nice hollow points is better since I have small kids running around that might get hit in the spray pattern of a shotgun blast.

Well, buckshot ain't gonna "spray" more than about 3-4" circle in 25-30 feet or so, even from a pretty short barrel.

And in that distance with a long gun, you really SHOULD hit the target, eh? Much easier than with a pistol, under stress or not.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot