Looking to get into coyote hunting, any tips or advice?

Like the title says, i'm looking to start coyote hunting and would love to hear from folks that already have some experience. Tips and advise on gear, calls, infrared vs. NV or just lessons learned from experience are welcomed and appreciated. 

Edited by Luke E.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pm me if you want. I run a mouth call and like to hunt mornings or evenings. Always glad to show someone something new. Can't promise we'll kill a dog, but usually see them 1 out of every 10 sets. I don't sit for more than 15 min at each spot so can cover a good bit of ground
First make sure you have taken a hunters safety course than get your small game license. Make sure you read the regs than read them 5 more times. Cant hunt coyotes at night. I use both mouth and electronic callers. Ive been hunting predators for a long time and that is by far my passion. I have called in and killed many coyotes and missed just as many. Most people say you should stay only 15 minutes or so on stand. I have learned that eastern coyotes are different from western coyotes. I have called for over an hour before getting one to commit. The reason was I knew they where in there. I treat each and every setup different. I have killed coyotes in the morning, afternoons and evenings. Im on my phone so typing all thus out is hard. I will chime in more when I get home later.

Ha Land to hunt on is a great start. :) I have a FoxPro wildfire But have trouble finding a place to hunt.

Xd, I have got a couple farms I know for sure I can hunt and a handful of others that I'm almost positive I could hunt so I'm okay there I think. Unless the coyote population is to thin (that's where my ignorance starts showing).

Pm me if you want. I run a mouth call and like to hunt mornings or evenings. Always glad to show someone something new. Can't promise we'll kill a dog, but usually see them 1 out of every 10 sets. I don't sit for more than 15 min at each spot so can cover a good bit of ground

I will be sure to pm you when I get back to the office or home where I can use a keyboard. Where are you located?

First make sure you have taken a hunters safety course than get your small game license. Make sure you read the regs than read them 5 more times. Cant hunt coyotes at night. I use both mouth and electronic callers. Ive been hunting predators for a long time and that is by far my passion. I have called in and killed many coyotes and missed just as many. Most people say you should stay only 15 minutes or so on stand. I have learned that eastern coyotes are different from western coyotes. I have called for over an hour before getting one to commit. The reason was I knew they where in there. I treat each and every setup different. I have killed coyotes in the morning, afternoons and evenings. Im on my phone so typing all thus out is hard. I will chime in more when I get home later.

I'm sitting at the airport on my phone as well so I feel your pain.
I am up on my hunting and have been hunting small and large game my whole life but never coyotes. I wasn't sure if you could hunt at night or not so thanks for the info!
I got into it when I was about 19. My first rifle I bought was a Marlin .17 hmr. I was hesitant about coyote hunting with it. I didn't buy it for that reason. I started practicing mouth calling and watching videos and got decent at it. My first call was a "Coon Squaller". It sounded pretty much like a cottontail distress to me and evidently the female coyote I called up wanted some. 1 shot in the vitals and she jumped up a few feet in the air and done a couple spins and that was it. I later bought a RRA LAR 15 for my duty rifle when I was a deputy but then later took the EoTech off and put on a 3-12x40 and took a few with it. I love hunting when it snows but we don't get much in middle TN. It is sure addictive.

Luke your always welcome to come along. I love calling coyotes in for other people.

I appreciate the offer guys and i'll be sure to take you up on it! I assume there is no season for them? I've been wanting to hunt them for the longest time but i haven't had anyone to follow along and learn from. Shaun, What days and times are best for you? Also what ranges on average are you typically looking at around here?

Shaun I'm ready just about any evening during the week. Luke same with you if you need a tag a long.