Dog obediance training

Hey guys really don't know where to look, but I trust you guys and know several of you own dogs.

I have a lab mix that is 1 year old she listens to me well and I have taught her basic commands sit, stay and down, she's not a bad dog, I've had a bad one before. So my problem is this, she jumped on the neighbors dog tonight and while she didn't hurt her it was enough to scare my wife a little. So how do you guys recommend that I correct this, I honestly believe she is doing it to "protect" us even though there is no threat. She barks when people come in our driveway. We have grown super attached to her and I really don't want to get rid of her and deep down I don't think it will solve anything.

One more question, she hasn't been fixed, would that make a difference?
I use a lot of non-verbals, especially with labs who for what ever reason tend to respond quicker & with seemingly less confusion than with verbal commands.

Pssssttttt! Pssssstttt! Is one I use that tells the animal instantly to stop what ever they are doing at that particular moment & to divert their attention to me.

I've found that it works even when they are very distracted &/or excited, as a lab owner you already know that labs can get pretty excited at times & when they are excited they can completely ignore verbals unless you get their attention first.

I'd probably suggest starting with something like that.
No big deal she was jest protecting your wife and showing her dominance if the other dog was in your yard . You have to show her you are in control she is looking for guidance and is trying to be the Alfa , make her sit and then stay beside you on a leash take control with commands like Sit and then Stay real loud and firm after calling her name, when she does do what you ask reward her with a treat I use carrots small pieces and say good girl. You jest have to work with them every day till its down like clock work . Also teach her no , a lot of good info is on the net , I have two Boxers and thay are a hand full but I would not trade them for any thing in the world. Hope this helps .
We have invisible fence so my dogs will not go past the line what so ever I'm on 2 acres wasn't bad about 1,200 with 2 collars it works and thay stay in the boundary of the 2 acres that's all thay need . Plenty of room for them to run and play
  • Like 1
Is she a working/hunting dog or just a pet?

I'd say if she's just a pet keeping her leashed is probably your best bet, my labs are all working dogs though so I have to train them off-leash for them to be any use to me out in the field.

Off-leash is tuff for a lab, they have a really high prey instinct along with very high energy, very tuff to maintain controll off-leash unless they are really well trained, you really have to work with them every day & not slack off at all, or they will sprint off & not come back until they are good & ready too.

I've been working with my current chocolate lab for 2 years now, he's an awesome dog, very well trained both on-leash & off-leash, but off-leash training is an awful lot of work, they really want to "get that critter" and calling them off of one isn't easy, even as well trained & well behaved Bear (my chocolate lab) is, he will sometimes pretend he didn't hear me, that's when I have to put a little growl into my voice, which of course he hears LOL.
  • Like 1
Many labs have a high drive and need extra exercise and play time. A good ole fashion tennis ball being thrown can help. They have that retrieving drive and it helps them get some exercise. Also if the dog is on lead/leash when correcting them always use verbal along with the lead correction.

If you are worried about interaction between the dogs get them on lead around each other to get the initial tension out the way. Let them sniff and correct the dog if they start becoming aggressive. At one year old the dog still has puppy in them and will behave that way at times. Just maintain dominance and don't accept letting the dog begin bad behavior.
I got my dog "fixed" because there are too many dogs/puppies that don't have an owner to love them. Working with your dog everyday should make a difference but I think the hardest thing is making sure and the wifey are in the same page. I try to be constant with my dog where as my wife lets her emotions dictate "if" she will train our dog. The fact that your reaching out shows this will have a good outcome.
Thanks guys she is just a pet, I would love to train her to actually retrieve but I don't have the time or experience to train her to do so. She fetches pretty good but she gets bored, like I said she is a lab mix and what she's mixed with I'm not really sure, I got her for free. I am wanting to look into the wireless fences but I still want to correct this behavior, so here's my game plan. Focus on leash training and socializing her while on leash, take her to a busier park and socialize her to being around other humans and dogs. We take her to frozen head usually a couple times a week and she runs with us on a leash.

For dominance issues, I recommend Cesar Milan's book...  http://www.amazon.com/Cesars-Way-Everyday-Understanding-Correcting/dp/0307337979

It made a big difference for us and for some friends who also had a with dominance issues. 

If you've got a dog that likes to run and/or run off, the electronic fences and training collars work well. 

Look into the "Canine Good Citizen" classes... http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm

My brother in law specializes in training situations like this. If you decide to bring someone in to help, I'd honestly expect he could have you sorted out andon the right track or fully solved in one session (he doesn't often have to come back after the first session...usually only when the human isn't doing their part).

http://www.thedogcounselor.com/

He's really worked wonders for a lot of people and has saved more than a few dogs whose next option was going to be put down due to behavior issues. Sounds like your case is much more mild, so I'd expect it to be no problem!