I read on here a couple days ago that if you have a dd214 and a hand gun qual you dont have to take the class and can just apply for your hcp? if so could someone refrence that and or explain where i would go to apply with said dd 214 and qual sheet.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Knowledge is power!!

After some reading, I realize I got duped out of my $50 for my HCP class. :popcorn::mad:;) A simple question from the shop owner/instructor would have made this simple exemption known. I could have used my DD-214 and my recent documented pistol qual. Allow my mistake to be used by others recently exiting the service.

If you exited the service within the last 5 years AND have a pistol training/qualification documented on your DD214, SAVE YOUR MONEY. Now I say that with the understanding that you can safely handle and shoot a pistol. Truly the only thing I got from the class was the understanding of companies/properties posting weapons restricted signs.

References:

Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:

1. <LI class=bodytext>Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or <LI class=bodytext>successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or <LI class=bodytext>successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or
  2. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

http://www.legallyarmed.com/resources/vet2.pdf

Since I haven't been able to fully exploit this method of the HCP application, my answer is I am not 100% sure. I would assume that your DD-214 must have an entry showing a pistol badge or training/qualification. Mine says " Expert Badge 9mm Pistol." I would go qualify just to have the extra documentation available if they ask for it.

With my job, I also have a recent qualification from Gryphon Group Security using the Marine Corp shooting tables. My DD214 and the Qual, in theory, should have been enough according to the satisfy the requirements. I will make some calls when I return to the Tennessee in October and see what I can find out. I'm all for helping the next guy get through this process.

Here is what the law says....(interpret at your own risk :))

39-17-1351

(e) The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(1)
Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2)
Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3)
Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to §
(
:screwy:
; or

(4)
Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

I just used a memorandum from my Commander and had no problems. I offered to give them a qualification card for my M9 qual. They said I did not need it . The Memo on Company letter head was plenty. My memo had Dept. of the Army symbol upper left and Regimental crest upper right. No DD214 needed if you are in the Reserves. Put it on an official letterhead Mine states:

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY

ALPA COMPANY, 1ST BATTALION, 506TH REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM

101st AIRBORNE DIVISION (AIR ASSAULT)

Fort Campbell, KY 42223

AFZB-KG-G-G28 MARCH 2008

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

SUBJECT: Weapon Qualification

1. General.

This memorandum for record certifies that SSG XXXX X. XXXXXXX, SSN XXX-XX-XXXX has qualified with the M-9 Pistol at the practical range with a score of 29 out of 30 (expert) after 6 hours of range training on 25 March 2008 and has taken 8 hours of classroom training on 24 March 2008 with A COMPANY, 1ST BATTALION, 506 REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM, 101st ABN DIV (AASLT) FT CAMPBELL, KY 42223.

2. CURRAHEE

XXXXX X. XXXXXX

CPT, IN

Commanding

Edited by racr28

Nothing in the law says it has to be on your DD-214.

These are the facts that need to brought to light, so future servicemembers can easily attain their HCP's. The way the DoS site reads, its hard to decifer exactly what their requirements are. Those mandatory videos could be put on Youtube or some equivalent site to give servicemembers a reference (not a good one, but atleasts its something), if they are totally unfamiliar with carrying.

These are simply ideas to better the process. I doubt the government redtape will ever be eliminated, but the facts & information can be made easier to access.

Guest Todd@CIS
Knowledge is power!!

After some reading, I realize I got duped out of my $50 for my HCP class. :D:mad::D A simple question from the shop owner/instructor would have made this simple exemption known. I could have used my DD-214 and my recent documented pistol qual. Allow my mistake to be used by others recently exiting the service.

How did you get duped?

I only ask because I'm on the other side of the coin. If someone sends me a completed registration form and tuition, I sign them up. It's not my intent to "dupe" anyone, but I don't ask for their history bio.

No inflammatory intent here, just wondering if the shop owner/instructor lead you to believe otherwise or KNEW you were ex-military and didn't mention it.

Just because you can hit what you aim at doesn't necessarily mean that you should skip the required HCP classroom and boring videos that everyone else has to watch. I don't personally care, but military range quals do not teach you TN state laws reguarding carrying a firearm.

Edited by Shima

As I said, I will allow my lesson to benefit others. I will take the high road on this one and prevent flaming anyone/shop. I was under the impression that this class was mandatory. I.E., this was the first step to gaining a TN HCP. Right or wrong, whats done is done. Either way, this has driven me to learn more about the local/state laws regarding weapons and carrying.

That $50 could have been used to continue my 5.56 ammo conservation plan (ACP), in the event that Barack Osama gets elected.

Just because you can hit what you aim at doesn't necessarily mean that you should skip the required HCP classroom and boring videos that everyone else has to watch. I don't personally care, but military range quals do not teach you TN state laws reguarding carrying a firearm.

If State of TN makes a law that says I don't need to take the class because of my military training, I am not going to waste my money on the class. The laws are easy to look up and anyone with an HCP is obligated to know them.

If State of TN makes a law that says I don't need to take the class because of my military training, I am not going to waste my money on the class. The laws are easy to look up and anyone with an HCP is obligated to know them.

True, they are obligated, but how many would actually take the time to or care to look up the laws? I went to tech schools and was on ship with a bunch of Marines that only knew how to kill people. I don't know how some of those guys get through everyday life, but they could shoot or fight hand to hand. Alot of them would not care to look up laws just to save said $50 HCP class cost. Maybe they should let you take a written test along with you miilitary range quals and let you skip the range portion which was personally my favorite part of the HCP requirement.

Guest bkelm18
True, they are obligated, but how many would actually take the time to or care to look up the laws? I went to tech schools and was on ship with a bunch of Marines that only knew how to kill people. I don't know how some of those guys get through everyday life, but they could shoot or fight hand to hand. Alot of them would not care to look up laws just to save said $50 HCP class cost. Maybe they should let you take a written test along with you miilitary range quals and let you skip the range portion which was personally my favorite part of the HCP requirement.

I can agree to that. Some of the Master at Arms on my ship... I'm surprised some of them remembered to breathe let alone shoot a weapon, but they were qualified in their weapons.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guntrainer

One should take their required paperwork and go to the Dept of Safety Station to apply for their permit.

They will make the determination on whether your paperwork is sufficient to waive the class. If not, they can tell you what you need to do.

I personally think all folks wanting to carry a firearm owe it to the public welfare to know the laws and demonstrate the limited proficiency of their firearm required by the state.:shake:

One of the worst students I have had was a senior law enforcement officer. She barely passed the shooting portion of the class, and had numerous stoppages with her duty gun, a Glock 22 ( which I had to clear).:)

The absolute worst was a person who, upon a range command to fire ONE ROUND, would empty his firearm (in the ground in front of the target).

I typically do NOT have problems being misunderstood on the firing line.

After going into detail about what he had to do, this happened three times. I pulled him off the line and would not sign off on him. I never could figure out why he did this.

A school off Murf Rd signed off on him.:)

[quote name='Guntrainer;203356

I personally think all folks wanting to carry a firearm owe it to the public welfare to know the laws and demonstrate the limited proficiency of their firearm required by the state.;)

One of the worst students I have had was a senior law enforcement officer. She barely passed the shooting portion of the class' date=' and had numerous stoppages with her duty gun, a Glock 22 ( which I had to clear).:owned:

.:rolleyes:[/quote']

I have always said that there are alot of persons who should not be carrying a gun. I've seen too many officers over the years who are not proficient with their firearms and are expected to defend the public :-\.

I agree that Veterans with pistol quals should be allowed to get their HCP without paying for a HCP class. I do think (and its only my personal opinion) that said Veteran should have to go through HCP class for free at any Instructors school. I know that nobody wants to have to deal with the BS of the class, but it will put you in touch with the current laws, lets you meet other people of like mind, give you a current qual, answer questions you might, and you get to go to the range an do some shooting :). I know some feel like its a wasted day, but another benefit would involve future civil liability. As we all know lawyers will attack anything they can and if they can find that you did not attend the class, we all know that they will attack that as well. Just my .2 cents

Guest jackdog

Fifty dollars and your upset. First I don't think you were duped into anything. Second the class will not hurt you and you will gain some knowledge. Take the class and stop whining.

I know several people that have used there military training and had no problems. Others had problems in Davidson County but went to Clarksville and they accepted it. Why? Nobody knows! I know an ex Kentucky State Trooper that tried to get his CCW in Davidson County and the stupid Department of Safety told him they only accept Tennessee training courses. He went to Clarksville and had no problems. WTF!!!! I myself had problems getting my armed guard license. I faxed those idiots my stuff 3 times. Finally I went up the chain and got it in 3 days. I am still made that I had to us my 3rd wish from the all mighty food list!

Fifty dollars and your upset. First I don't think you were duped into anything. Second the class will not hurt you and you will gain some knowledge. Take the class and stop whining.

Umm, I think he'd already taken it, although I agree he wasn't duped.

Guest 423aaron

Guys, I am a former Army 11C (Infantry Mortarman). I have qualified with every thing the Army had until the late '90's. From the M9, M16, all the machine guns up to a .50 and all the mortars.

I now teach the HCP class in Johnson City.

You need to sit through the TN class at least to the point that you have gotten the legal stuff out of the way.

I WILL NOT CHARGE ANYONE WISHING TO SIT IN ON ONE OF MY CLASSES.

If you do not need the Cert. from me I have no problem with you sitting in to get the legal stuff for free.

Feel free to post this where ever you like and pass the word around.

Aaron