Unfinished laminate grips. What stain to use ?

I bought what appears (and advertised) as unfinished laminate grips. I enjoy buying beat up and unfinished wood grips and bringing them to life. Typically use a typical Miniwax stain (yellow can) and Tung Oil for shine.

I have never done laminate before. I was under the impression that laminate was the same color all the way through, but these look like un-stained hardwood.

Here is a crappy cellphone pic

Posted Image

My question is can I stain them?
Should I use a different type if stain (gel? Water based ?)
Anyone have any suggestions on color? I think I might want to go with the silver/black finish I see on lots of laminates or maybe the rosewood?

I have some of miniwax Jacobean which I think might give it a good dark color but probably not the silver black I am looking for. Here is what I have now

Posted Image

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those look nice, thanks for the tip. Does the wax have a color or tint to it or does it just heighten the current color of the wood?

It doesn't add color, but it will obviously darken the wood, similar to those in the picture at the link I posted. Probably not as dark, though. The grips I did were very similar to your, very simliar grain pattern. It brought out the grain perfectly for my taste. Wish I would have saved pictures.

If you do decide on this method, make sure you use Carnauba that doesn't contain any cleaners. natural/pure Carnauba is what you want.

It all depends on what kind of look you're going for. You can stain the grips, let dry, then use the wax. Again, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

You can stain them just like anything else.  The layers may end up slightly different colors, just depends on how the wood is laminated and what type of wood it is.  That said, just plain wax or oil looks good too, just depends on what you want it to look like.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the grips arrived last week and I have done some work on them.  The first pics I posted were from the internet when I bought them.  They were described as unfinished laminated (and look like it to me) but when they arrived I am not so sure.  They did not buff to a shine or glass like finish.  they were rough and would give you splinters.  I assume they are just wood.

All is well though.  I sanded and shaped the rough edges. And stained them with one coat "Brazilian Rosewood Gel Stain"  It wasn't quit as red as I wanted so I applied a second coat of "Merlot" stain. Finished with 2 coats of Tung Oil for shine. It turned out the red tint I was looking for. 

All in All I am happy.  They were dirt cheap and give my S&W 422 a unique look.  They fit well in the hand.  A little thicker than the factory plastic ones, but fits my hand better

9729556112_95baea412e.jpg

9726342609_feb875ff63.jpg