Ruger MKlll Hunter Stainless vs Polymer Frame

Sidewinder

I have a 22/45 in polymer.  My 2 cents... the grip angle aside, the grip is the wrong size and does not feel anything like a 1911.  Not even close -- I do not hold it the same way at all because its significantly different.   Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting the type that allows you to change the grips to use custom grips.  The polymer does not (or did not?  Not sure about current offering) allow you to do anything to change the grip.   As far as such things go, my pistol is nearly worn out (barrel is looking kinda smooth) and the grips are as good as the day they were made (probably in the late 80s).

Jonnin, thanks for your input. It's always helpful to hear from people that actually own a certain gun, rather than someone that just has an opinion from reading about one. I bought the Ruger MK lll Hunter, in all stainless, yesterday at Academy Sports in Smyrna. It didn't come with a scope rail and screws... supposedly because their price was lower than some others. But... after you buy the scope rail, it won't be cheaper than others! I think Ruger lists them on their site for around $25, plus S&H.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information. I was curious about the pricing. I have an older MKIII Hunter with the 5", and was kind of thinking about getting the new, longer barrel version and selling mine.

And yes, my MKIII came with the rail and mounting screws. If Acadamey can't help you with them, call Ruger about it.

Hipower, according to Dillon at Academy Sports in Smyrna, the lower price means you're not getting something with your gun that everyone else is getting! Possibly one mag instead of two... in my case, the scope rail and screws were missing. So, are we really comparing apples to apples, when we compare Academy's price to others? Well, after I pay for the scope rail and screws, and have it shipped, their price might not be so good! Better inventory everything that "comes" with the gun, and then see if you're really getting a better deal! Buyer beware!

Call Ruger anyway and tell them that you're gun did not come with the scope rail and they will most likely go ahead and send you one anyway. Ruger customer service is excellent and they usually go out of their way to make a customer happy. My gun didn't come with the extra fiber optic sights but when I told them that it didn't have it they want ahead and sent it to me, no charge.

Sidewinder,

Fiber Optic sights are OK for close in shots but you will have to try it out at 25 yards yourself.  These Dawsons might be a little more accurate as the pipe is a smaller diameter.  http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000FF3-1304980668

As far as red dots go Matchdot Ultradot is sort of the go to sight: I had one on a nice MKIII set up I gave to a young guy who needed a good .22 pistol.   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/651463/ultradot-matchdot-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-2-4-6-8-moa-dot-matte

I am not a big fan of tube red dots.  I like this C-More:  http://www.cmore.com/railway.html#Anchor-rw2

However these Millets work nicely for the money:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546845/millett-red-dot-sight-30mm-tube-1x-variable-sized-dot-3-5-8-10-moa-with-weaver-style-rings-matte

Or these for a few bucks less:  3 MOA seems to work as well as IMHO as well as the 2MOA: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459296/millett-compact-red-dot-sight-1-tube-1x-3-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-matte I'm not a bullseye shooter though.

Edited by graycrait

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your replies. Here's an update.

Shot the gun this afternoon, and it was great! All brands and conditions of ammo slid right through this ammo eating machine! Was not shooting for accuracy, as I had misplaced my targets... and wanted to fire for a functional check. But, I was able to cut vines and briar stems easily, with bulk ammo. I like this gun!

I have an ultradot 2 moa on mine.  Truth is that outside, I can't see the dot on the smallest setting and have to increase its size and brightness (brightness, by the way, also increases its size in MOA effectively).   So if you shoot outdoors with much sun, the tiny dot sights are possibly not worth the extra cash.  I shoot mine mostly indoors, and with controlled lighting the tiny dot is amazingly good and very worth it.   The ultradot came with "sunglasses" lol -- polarized and colored covers that can be used to improve its use outdoors, but even with that, the micro dot settings are just a wee bit much to use on a bright day. 

Whatever you get be sure to get one with a good warranty.  In my limited experience, its not a matter of IF but WHEN the device will fail.   I have worn out 2 or 3 of them just because the switch failed after a while (could no longer turn it off/on).   And a couple of the windowed (not tube) type cracked from nothing more than a 22 ejected round hitting the wall or something and bouncing back.  One of our ultradots croaked for unknown electronic reasons, so its not just the cheap gear that die....    This is not meant to worry you (all my units lasted many, many hundreds of rounds for the .22s and I have yet to break one on my 1911 which I shoot much less) but to caution you that they are, at the end of the day, just consumer grade electronics and they do, on occasion, have issues.

I have an ultradot 2 moa on mine.  Truth is that outside, I can't see the dot on the smallest setting and have to increase its size and brightness (brightness, by the way, also increases its size in MOA effectively).   So if you shoot outdoors with much sun, the tiny dot sights are possibly not worth the extra cash.  I shoot mine mostly indoors, and with controlled lighting the tiny dot is amazingly good and very worth it.   The ultradot came with "sunglasses" lol -- polarized and colored covers that can be used to improve its use outdoors, but even with that, the micro dot settings are just a wee bit much to use on a bright day. 

Whatever you get be sure to get one with a good warranty.  In my limited experience, its not a matter of IF but WHEN the device will fail.   I have worn out 2 or 3 of them just because the switch failed after a while (could no longer turn it off/on).   And a couple of the windowed (not tube) type cracked from nothing more than a 22 ejected round hitting the wall or something and bouncing back.  One of our ultradots croaked for unknown electronic reasons, so its not just the cheap gear that die....    This is not meant to worry you (all my units lasted many, many hundreds of rounds for the .22s and I have yet to break one on my 1911 which I shoot much less) but to caution you that they are, at the end of the day, just consumer grade electronics and they do, on occasion, have issues.

I appreciate the heads up information on the dot type scopes. I will probably shoot it for a while using the open iron sights. Any experience with the traditional cross-hair type scopes on the Ruger MK series pistols?

I appreciate the heads up information on the dot type scopes. I will probably shoot it for a while using the open iron sights. Any experience with the traditional cross-hair type scopes on the Ruger MK series pistols?

No, but I have one on another pistol.   I prefer the red dot.   The combination of long eye relief and magnification make it very visually frustrating for me.  If it were not magnified, it would be OK for me, but the magnificaiton really messes with my head.  Unlike a rifle scope where you look through it and do not see the background and perephial vision etc as much, with the long relief you see all kinds of distractions and the magnified area is out of phase with the rest.  I dunno its hard to explain but I do not care for it at all.  I think someone could get used to it, and it is not too bad when bench shooting (but who does that with a pistol much?).  Standing there though, it is just not for me.  

Update on the scope rail and mounting screws debacle. Called Ruger today and they are sending me a scope rail and mounting screws. Just for the record...Matt, at Ruger in Prescott Arizona took my S/N and looked up my gun. He said it was a model 10118, and that it left the factory with a scope rail and mounting screws.

Thanks to everyone that offered words of encouragement. Ruger is making it right...and that's a class act. +1 for Ruger, -1 for Academy Sports.

Also see the specifics that I posted under "BUYER BEWARE". Thanks to all.