kings in Columbia

Guest windhamdw

Guest windhamdw
Anybody know what happened to their ammo and gun prices, it was like looking in the Franklin Gun Shop. I miss when they where that llittle shop with the best prices around.

Thanks
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just depends on what your looking for right now. John, the owner, tried to keep ammo available during the panic. However, by wishing to do that, he paid higher prices to get said ammo. Now that times are a little better, he's still got some of that ammo left and is trying not to take a big loss. They sell more of the ammo that they get in now because they get it cheaper and their price also reflects as it a cheaper price. The more expensive ammo just sits on the shelf. Like any where else, you just have to be there at the right time. They always treat me well each time I walk through the doors.

It just depends on what your looking for right now. John, the owner, tried to keep ammo available during the panic. However, by wishing to do that, he paid higher prices to get said ammo. Now that times are a little better, he's still got some of that ammo left and is trying not to take a big loss. They sell more of the ammo that they get in now because they get it cheaper and their price also reflects as it a cheaper price. The more expensive ammo just sits on the shelf. Like any where else, you just have to be there at the right time. They always treat me well each time I walk through the doors.

I've seen a good many gun shops pricing their ammo that way. I understand that they payed a higher price to get the ammo in the shop (most, especially small shops like I think you are talking about did it out of good will to provide for their customers) but if prices keep dropping are they going to keep the same price on it to avoid taking a hit on those particular boxes of ammo? Even though the price stays the same, it gets more unreasonable with each passing day that ammo prices come down and with each of those days they will possibly loose more customers because they walk in and see the high prices (as the OP did). How many boxes of that particular ammo could they have sold by now if he had kept the price current on those boxes he got "hung" with? Is it worth potential lost customers just to not lose money on that bit of ammo? Kinda seems like the whole "cut off the nose just to spite the face" thing. Maybe this isn't the case with the shop you guys are speaking of but I have seen several that it has been the case. Just curious if others have noticed this of not.

The owner is the one that told me why his prices are high on that ammo. I don't agree with his tactics by keeping it that price, but that's his business to run how he sees fit. I'd rather lose a little than lose it all. I don't think they're too worried though because they've expanded by leaps and bounds in the past few years. They've even opened up a second shop in Pulaski. I've seen good and not good deals at their store. Like anything else, you have to know exactly what you're looking for and how much money you're willing to pay for it. I try to support my local shops in Columbia. I think we're very fortunate to have several privately owned gun stores in this town. However, they do have to have competitive prices to get my money. They don't have to be the cheapest, but have to be reasonably in the same price range. Kings is like any other place, hit and miss depending upon what you're looking for and when you're looking for it.

The owner is the one that told me why his prices are high on that ammo. I don't agree with his tactics by keeping it that price, but that's his business to run how he sees fit. I'd rather lose a little than lose it all. I don't think they're too worried though because they've expanded by leaps and bounds in the past few years. They've even opened up a second shop in Pulaski. I've seen good and not good deals at their store. Like anything else, you have to know exactly what you're looking for and how much money you're willing to pay for it. I try to support my local shops in Columbia. I think we're very fortunate to have several privately owned gun stores in this town. However, they do have to have competitive prices to get my money. They don't have to be the cheapest, but have to be reasonably in the same price range. Kings is like any other place, hit and miss depending upon what you're looking for and when you're looking for it.

I wasn't meaning he didn't deserve your business for making the decision to price his ammo that way, as a matter a fact a good friend of mine has been doing the exact same thing in his shop and I will buy from him as long as he's not so out of line on what I need. On the other hand, I have seen a good many folks come in, ask the price and make a weird face and turn around and head out the door. Not everyone is worried about trying to keep their money local. Just didn't want you to mistake what I was meaning there because i'm the last to tell someone what they should do with their own stuff.

I've never found a good deal at Kings, never walked out the door with anything in my hands either.
Even before Sandy Hook I thought their prices were on the high side (I have passed on their used/abused pistols and bought the same one new from a different store for $15 more, more than one time).

But, it is nice to have multiple local options and some competition, even though I won't go into half of the local shops personally.

Speaking of local options, Gary at Lock and Load is working a deal with some people to start carrying some reloading supplies, I'm not sure when though. I was talking to him about 2 weeks ago at the range.
You don't open a 2nd location in sutch a short time without makeing a heak of a profit that being said . I have been to gun shops in Columbia kings and Steve's gun and archery , Durham's sporting goods and Walmart , price comparing through the past year , when I would need some ammo . Examples all same ammo and name brand ,Walmart went up 2.00 per box Durham's went up 2.00 per box Steve's went up 3.00 per box kings went up 8.00 per box , now I get the Walmart Durham's price because thay buy at a very low price because of the amount that thay buy , that being said what I don't understand is the 2 small shops why one shop can be in a fair price range and the other over kill price range , I'll leave y'all to fig that one out ,
I'm by no means defending Kings. I'm just like the rest of you, I shop around for the best deals. I haven't talked with Gary at lock n load lately. For ammo, I always try Walmart and Dunhams first. I have noticed that Kings prices seem to have gotten worse lately. Keep in mind that I haven't been gun shopping in over a month. The only stuff I'm looking for now is more reloading supplies. I need to just make a drive to see David.

I'm by no means defending Kings. I'm just like the rest of you, I shop around for the best deals. I haven't talked with Gary at lock n load lately. For ammo, I always try Walmart and Dunhams first. I have noticed that Kings prices seem to have gotten worse lately. Keep in mind that I haven't been gun shopping in over a month. The only stuff I'm looking for now is more reloading supplies. I need to just make a drive to see David.

You hit it in that last sentence.. I will pick up odds and ends here close by me but I am always adding stuff that I don't HAVE to have right now to a "David" list until he is going to be at a show that i'm going to anyways or the list gets large enough that it is worth the haul to go see him at home.