Magwell questions

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

I am thinking about adding a magwell to my 1911. I am a little hesitant to because I use it for CC. Would someone that know a little bit about 1911s please be kind enough to spell out the pros and cons of a magwell? Thanks on advance for your help.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Would I have to cut my grips or replace them?? Any reccomendations as to certain manufacturers?

You shouldn't have to cut your grips... however, you will have a noticeable gap between your factory grips and the magwell due to the bevel on your grips. Grips made to be used specifically with magwells have a flat bottom so that they meet them flush.

I used Kimber's magwell on my Pro CDP II. It was the combination design (magwell + main spring housing) which also replaced the "cheesy" plastic MSH with an alloy one. But all the main 1911 vendors offer them, in all colors, and different styles.

You can search MidwayUSA or Brownell's and find a dozen, or more, different styles.

Buy a King's Gunworks speedwell grip to try it if you are worried about the cost of buying and having one fitted. If you like it, get a "good" one installed.

Or you could do as I am and buy the S&A arched MSH/chute combination. I figure the arched MSH pre-blended to the chute will give me about the same results as a bobtail and make reloads more fumble free.

I just put a magwell on mine and it doesn't add much at all. The mag still comes out below the magwell. Not really that much difference. Get the one piece from S&A. Mine slid right in with no modifications on my STI Trojan. I had already purchased grips that were made for a magwell but you don't have to do this.

Edited by rd97
Additional Info.