Looking for load data

Guest chevyman

Guest chevyman

I am trying to reload for a 30-30 the only bullets I could find where 150gr Barnes TSX FN FB. I have some H4350, H4198 and H322 powder and was wondering if anyone has any load data that might work with any of these? thanks. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4350 is probably not a good pick for 30-30. 

322 you may be able to use but I could not find reliable data. 

h4198 looks like the winner for 30-30.   The hodgens site says a 150 grain flat nosed sierra uses 21.5 grains so I would say start with 20.  Sounds like a "close enough" bullet match to me?

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Edited by Jonnin

IMR4350 or H4350 are both outstanding powders for 30-30.  Either will be a compressed charge resulting in outstanding accuracy.  Downside is that your velocity maximums for these powders will be a hundred or so FPS below the traditional 30-30 powders like 4895 and 3031.

Can your deer tell the difference between 2100 fps and 2300 fps?  Can your deer tell the difference between a dead center hit and a clean miss?  No, but you sure can.

Chevy man, what manuals do your have?

Edited by jaysouth

I just have Lyman manual 49th edition.

Which shows 4198 starting at 20.5 up to 23.5

3031                  26.5          28.5

4895                  26.5          30.0

4350                  32.0          36.0 compressed

H322 is probably too fast a powder

Edited by 6.8 AR