Gun Prices

DaveTN

It seems to me that used gun prices have sky rocketed in the past few years (I’m talking just the last five) I’m sure the internet and the availability of a quick sale face to face has a lot to do with it.

If you look through the local gun sale forums you see used guns being priced at or above what you can buy them for new. Now…. There are only two reasons that I can think of for that occurring. Either there are a lot of uninformed buyers out there or there are a lot of buyers that can’t pass a background check.

I see posts where someone says “I’m just trying to get out of it what I gave for it.†Well no kidding. I would like to do that with my cars but I can’t. :D Or someone posting “that’s a good price†because its 50 bucks off new retail on a used gun.

And I’m not talking about guns that may fall back under a ban. Five years ago it wasn’t hard to find a good S&W .357 mag revolver in the $300 range. Today they are asking $500 for a run of the mill shooter. I don’t know if they are getting that; just an observation.

What do you think? Discuss. :popcorn:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I think a lot of it has to do with the haggling that comes with selling a gun online. People ask high prices to negotiate to a middle ground, which is what they usually want. The only gun I purchased online, I didn't haggle. I read the firearms for sale posts, and sometimes wonder what was in the "PM sent" posts with the firearm still up for sale the next day. "I'll give you seventy-five dollars for that AR-15." :popcorn:

I agree with you on the revolver. For some of the prices I've seen asked on readily available firearms, not just at online forums, I would think that the firearm in question would perform sexual favors, or at least cook for me.

. Either there are a lot of uninformed buyers out there or there are a lot of buyers that can’t pass a background check.

I can pass a background check any day of the week, but I will pay a premium price for a gun that I want, just so there is no paper on it. I'm not going to commit a crime with it, I just don't think the government needs to know every gun that I own.

Guest Boomhower

I know what you mean Dave. The term "used" doesn't mean the same as it use to. Vehicles are another forinstance. 5 to 10 years ago, a vehicle with 100,000 miles on it was ready for the scrap yard. Now days, even domestics will still bring a premium well after 100,000. It's all in the mind set and what the public at large is willing to pay.

The housing market is another area that drives me crazy. Everybody, and I mean everybody is looking to spin their property into a nice retirement plan. You can't find a piece of vacant land for any reasonable price nowadays. Everyone thinks they can take a 5 acre plot, subdivide it and turn half a million in profit. And let's not even talk about those folks that bought a house a year ago, are now trying to resale it for $30,000 more than they paid for it. Even in a housing market time such as we have now. I mean, seriously, come on. The worst part of it all is that the housing market is still yielding to the prices. People will do whatever they can to buy a house that is priced at $30,000 to $40,000 over the appraised value.:popcorn:

But, I figure, it will correct itself in due time.

The housing market is another area that drives me crazy. Everybody, and I mean everybody is looking to spin their property into a nice retirement plan. You can't find a piece of vacant land for any reasonable price nowadays. Everyone thinks they can take a 5 acre plot, subdivide it and turn half a million in profit. And let's not even talk about those folks that bought a house a year ago, are now trying to resale it for $30,000 more than they paid for it. Even in a housing market time such as we have now. I mean, seriously, come on. The worst part of it all is that the housing market is still yielding to the prices. People will do whatever they can to buy a house that is priced at $30,000 to $40,000 over the appraised value.:popcorn:

But, I figure, it will correct itself in due time.

I live in a neighborhood of $50-$80K houses.The idiots across the street closed in their garage added a back deck with an above ground pool.They are asking $150K for it.It has been on the market for 2 years now.
I can pass a background check any day of the week, but I will pay a premium price for a gun that I want, just so there is no paper on it. I'm not going to commit a crime with it, I just don't think the government needs to know every gun that I own.

I see. So you think that by purchasing from a private owner the weapon magically becomes untraceable? What is it you think “the government†is going to do with that information?

I see. So you think that by purchasing from a private owner the weapon magically becomes untraceable? What is it you think “the government” is going to do with that information?

Solicite you junkmail? :lol: I dunno. TN has no registration.

The government doesnt "know" you own the gun unless they actually want to know. Govt has to go back to the manufacturer, who tells them where they sold it to... to the distributor...to who they sold it to... to the gunshop... and then to who they sold it to. Then comes the dead end when John Doe sold the gun years ago to some guy he met on a forum.

There isnt this big data base that has a bunch of serial numbers in...well unless its reported stolen... or your in like...Commiefornia or something.:cool:

comes the dead end when John Doe sold the gun

And that is pretty much the end of the road.

i might own a few guns bought in private sales. I can't even imagine how the gov't could begin to know I might possess these firearms.

Edited by Mike.357
Except for talking about them on the internet. :)

About once a week, I do google searches for random oddball things.

In that same light, just occasionally go around discussing a wide variety of firearms you really don't own... or do you? :screwy: