Dove Hunting

anyone out there going dove hunting today? season opens in about 2 hours...i've got the truck loaded and i'm fixing to head to the field to get setup and ready. Dove hunting on opening day has been a family thing for quite some time for us, we hardly ever go after opening day but always get together on the first Monday in September for this...

My cousin's wife will be joining us this year sitting on a bucket, they just got married in March and she is a real hunting & fishing kinda girl. my uncles and my Dad will be there, as well as my brother and myself and maybe one or two other cousins. its going to be fun!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hunted doves off and on for maybe 10 years in my youth.

I'm an apartment townie currently; got bird feeders on back veranda and I've had more doves than I ever even SAW in my years of hunting them right here over last few years.

I figger if times get hard enough I can just cull them. They are so close, I think I can do eye shots with BB gun.

- OS

Went for the first time yesterday. Didn't see any birds until 3:00, then they were far a few between. I shot 1 and wounded one for another in my party to finish off, so I guess that means I got 1-1/2 :D. I want to go again but hopefully next time a little closer to Mt Juliet (we were out past Eagleville) and to a place with more birds. The most anyone in our field nabbed all day was 12. The other more experinced guys I was with got 5 and 3 so I didn't feel too bad for my first time out.

Edited by DavidD
Guest shortfri

Hell I still haven't found a field. Drove all the way to a WMA in jackson co. only to find around 100 geese setting on the dove field eating 4 inch tall wheat. So opening day i shot sporting clays. And no they didn't fry that well.

I went to a TWRA leased field on opening day and I remembered why I haven't shot a public field in 15 years. It seems people have no concept of LOW BIRDS and when to shoot and when not to shoot.

I've only been once (a week ago) and know exactly what you are talking about. Imagine a bird in a dense tree 30 yards down hill, 3 guys surrounding the tree "waiting for him to pop out," and to top it off one of the three is a trigger happy 12 year old........:crazy:

Guest GLOCK2340

I went sat to a private hunt, but there were about 50 or 60 people there. I got 12 and my father in law got 15. It was a total blast with the ole Browning a5!! I do know what you guys are talkin about with dangerous shooters out there. I had me a round hay bale to hide behind!:D I saw alot of shots at low birds towards people that scared me. In particular one group of oyoung boys about 12 or 14 that would shoot at anything that moved!