Williamson County Commission to Consider Attack on Right To Carry

Guest crhoades

I attended the Commission meeting tonight.

Short version: The gentleman, Green, withdrew the resolution that he submitted so all is well in Williamson County.

Longer version: Standing room only - not sure if that was normal - but you could hear a lot of people talking about the resolution before proceedings began. I was able to get my name on the list of people to address the commission with about 6-7 other people opposing the resolution.

As proceedings got underway, the first thing mentioned was that the resolution was withdrawn. Applause. The gentleman from the TN Firearms association was first to speak. He provided statistics of total number of TN carry permit holders as well as Williamson County permit holders. He then followed up with the fact that no one has had any marks on their records involving firearms. Another guy gave a stirring testimony of being at a church in TX when someone opened fire killing I think around 11 people. He ended with a rousing quote by Thomas Jefferson. Ahhh...patriotism at work. I gave my garbled little spiel about what it takes to obtain a carry permit and that I was considered worthy by the federal and state govt. (not to mention the Constitution), so why does Williamson County want to make it a criminal act to do business on county property.

Tonight confirmed the need for people to join the NRA and speak out. I would not have heard about this without the NRA-ILA notice sent to me in an email. I applaud the people on this board for cross posting it as well.

At the end of the speakers, the Chairman inserted an opinion that he didn't want to see a resolution come before the commission again.

Of course I would love to hear the backstory of why it was submitted in the first place and what went down in order to have it pulled.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks CR for the update. I am watching the meeting on Channel 3 (for Comcast customers) right now, but they haven't gotten to it yet. I received an email from John Hancock (in addition to the previous response mentioned earlier from Ms. Hester) that he would be voting "no." According to Ms. Hester's somewhat criptic explanation, someone had a gun in the parking lot of the criminal justice center. Unfortunately, she failed to explain why that was a problem (i.e., that an incident occurred, etc.)

Even though this is now dead, I urge any of you in District 5 to let Commissioner Lewis W. Green, Jr. (the apparent sponsor) what you think of his solutions to the County's perceived problems.

I wasn't able to make it tonight after all. I'm really glad that it was withdrawn but VERY disappointed that my Commisioner (who is my FRIEND!:crazy:,) never returned my emails.

I'll be following up with him about this the very next time I see him face to face.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/COUNTY09/80909020

Text from article:

FRANKLIN — County commissioners did not vote on resolution that would have banned guns at all county-owned buildings. Instead, Commissioner Lewis Green, who sponsored the resolution, asked that it be pulled because “of the far reaching implications.â€

The resolution may be killed for good.

“I can promise you it need not come up again,†Commission Chairman Houston Naron Jr. said.

Green said he has no intention of bringing the resolution back.

Commissioners, who met last night, heard from six residents who opposed the ban, which would have extended to people with handgun carry permits.

County resident Kevin Pratt said the resolution was “designed to make people feel safe,†but wouldn’t allow law-abiding citizens to carry firearms in public buildings. Had it been approved, there would have been signs posted at the entrances to every county-owned building, telling people they could be fined $500 for bringing in a gun.

Guest ProguninTN

I attended the meeting with my father. Thanks to those who spoke. :tinfoil:

I am happy the resolution was withdrawn. The article about it says that the library prohibits guns. Last time I was there, the sign was non-compliant.

Let's hope that all stays non compliant. Good job for you all in Middle TN. We need to get the legislature to make these properly worded signs not carry any criminal penalties next year.

Picked this off the NRA site way to go guys

TENNESSEE: Williamson County Commission Pulls

Anti-Gun Resolution from Agenda! On Monday, September

8, the Williamson County Commission pulled Resolution

No. 9-08-31 from the Commission’s agenda. This

resolution would have imposed new restrictions on

law-abiding citizens’ Right-to-Carry in Williamson

County by establishing a policy prohibiting guns in

all buildings owned and controlled by Williamson

County and to direct signs providing notice be posted

at the entrance ways of each building. We would like

to extend a special thanks to Ralph Bacue, NRA Life