High Standard Model 107

Guys, I have a High Standard I've inherited.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that it's rusted in several places.  The trigger is locked up.  I can see rust up in the trigger area.  I've looked at the barrel and only see one small place near the back of the barrel where the bullet sits.  A few other spots in the magazine well and exterior.  The grips are in good shape.  The front site is missing.

I've put the gun in a bath of kerosene as a starting point on freeing things up.  

Where can I get a site and what should I be doing here to get this gun back to operational condition?  Is it possible to restore the gun completely and have it re-blued or something?

I"m having trouble with my phone now, will post pictures later when I get that resolved.

t48d.jpg

Edited by thesquirrel

I've ordered a slide lock spring, safety (which was totally missing), front sight and screw.  More cleaning and lubing.  The trigger action is stiff.  I think I need to pull that assembly out and clean it.  There's a pin that's sticking out a little that looks like it holds the trigger in.  Should I try and remove that?  What kind of tools would I need if I was to.  I imagine a small punch of some kind? 

Be mindful too that older guns tend to be works or art, both inside and out, so there are some very small parts inside that are easily lost. I would recommend taking detailed pictures as you tear it down to make reassembly much easier.

I would also caution against getting it refinished unless absolutely needed. Most times refinishing ruins the value of a antique gun. During the process the important markings can be buffed off. And an older gun that has been refinished with a bright blue, like they use these days, doesn't look right. It is also very easy for a collector to spot one that has been refinished because of the bluing.

I would get it in shooting condition then use it like it was meant to be used.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1

Gun Parts Corp should have everything you need.  They bought a lot of the High Standard parts when the company went bankrupt.

The Supermatic Tournament you have is an excellent and extremely accurate pistol.It is comparable to the S&W M41 or Colt Match pistols.  Whatever you do, NEVER let steel wool touch that gun!  Kroil and some Scotchbrite are all you need for the type of rust shown in your photo.  Lightly buff with liberal applications of Kroil until it's relatively smooth.  Degrease that area, and apply cold blue with a Q-tip to protect the area.

The best magazines available for that pistol are the ones shown here:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/magazine-plastic-bottom-military-grip-prod7190.aspx?avs|Make_3=High%20Standard

Your pistol has the 'Military Grip' that duplicates the grip angle of the 1911 .45 automatic.  Magazines for that model are very easy to identify because of that funny looking baseplate.

You have a pistol that with some care will outlast your grandchildren!  Enjoy it.

Gun Parts Corp should have everything you need.  They bought a lot of the High Standard parts when the company went bankrupt.

The Supermatic Tournament you have is an excellent and extremely accurate pistol.It is comparable to the S&W M41 or Colt Match pistols.  Whatever you do, NEVER let steel wool touch that gun!  Kroil and some Scotchbrite are all you need for the type of rust shown in your photo.  Lightly buff with liberal applications of Kroil until it's relatively smooth.  Degrease that area, and apply cold blue with a Q-tip to protect the area.

The best magazines available for that pistol are the ones shown here:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/magazine-plastic-bottom-military-grip-prod7190.aspx?avs|Make_3=High%20Standard

Your pistol has the 'Military Grip' that duplicates the grip angle of the 1911 .45 automatic.  Magazines for that model are very easy to identify because of that funny looking baseplate.

You have a pistol that with some care will outlast your grandchildren!  Enjoy it.

I'll have to look up Kroil, assuming I can't pick that up locally.  Thanks for the tips!  I sure wish I could get the trigger freed up…working on it more later today.

I have a 103, and I've used Numrich (Gun Parts corp).  I don't know about yours, but mine takes a beating with high velocity .22's. I stick with the standard or target stuff

noted.  I've not shot it yet, but hoping to soon.  It's still impossible to find 22 here in this part of the world so I'm not in any real hurry, and not able to be picky on brand at this point.  I would think copper plated business would be best but I haven't researched this at all.  

I keep saying "they can make more bullets than consumers have money", but it hasn't proven true in my area yet.  soon...

• 2 weeks later...