17wsm

Guest Backstrap

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one and really like it. I can't compare it to a HMR as I have never owned or shot one but it's very accurate. I think Savage could have put a better quality stock on it. I would have paid a little more if it had a better stock.

You're not going to get a "quality" Savage stock unless you get something like a Model 10.

I shot both my WSM and HMR today.  Of course the penetration wounds are exemplary for each on paper :)  I have the WSM zeroed at 100 and could hit an 10" gong at 200 yards holding a few inches over.  Of course the gong didn't move, but you could hear the ting.

My dad rolled a groundhog with the WSM a month back and he said it just stopped.  No last step, no quiver, just dead.  I think for ground hogs and prairie dogs it's going to be a cool little round.

I have the savage bmag and a few boxes of ammo hard to find you think 22 is hard to find go looking for this stuff. It is a great shooter took a squirrel at 120 yards but not enough of him left to make any dumplings out of so it is not going to be a squirrel hunting gun for sure. I think it would be great for varmints though. May bemy new coyote hunting gun at 100yds or less I would say it would be deadly on them.

Jason
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest carter

was thinking about one of these myself... Ruger  has there american rifle rim fires...haven't seen any in stock any where though...just the savage bmag

Wish we had some in east TN glad I was able to pick up a few boxes a while back. Mine is a great shooter with the 20g bullets have not tried the 25g yet but have heard some have accuracy problems with it.

Jason

I have been reading that the 25gr grouped tighter than the 20 gr for a lot of people. All I have been able to find is 20gr myself so I can't say which is better.

Let me know how those 25gr work.  I've only been shooting the 20gr.  I'm not getting great groups by my standards out of the BMag, but if I can't hit a groundhog at 100 yards, it's my fault not the rifle.

My stock was rubbing barrel pretty bad when I got mine sand paper wrapped around a old film container fixed that tightened the groups right up may have to check yours out.

Jason

I'm finding it sitting on the Walmart shelves on a weekly bases, and I don't go to Walmart until about 10:00am :pleased:

I guess since they're making it from nail gun blanks, brass should be plentiful for Winchester to divert it over to the ammo line.

I think it will remain readily available, unless all the .22 rimfire owners who can't find ammo rush out and buy a B-Mag :rofl:

I also think it be awesome for prairie dogs, as you can chuck the empty out on the ground and forget about it. I did one prairie dog hunt in Wyoming a few years back, and while it was a blast laying havoc on a dog town, it was a bit depressing on how fast you could delete your stash of handloads that took hours to produce and minutes to deplete!