No cartouches on Garand.

I have a Springfield Garand that has no cartouches at all anywhere on it except for what look like the numbers "842" written in some kind of black marker on the heel. I forget the website I used but every single part on it dates to 1944. So it's not a part gun. 

What would be the likely history of it with no cartouches?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thoughts..

its not too hard to imagine someone or the machine or whatever that did the stamp missing a few stocks.

its not too hard to imagine a replacement stock either. 

it could be there, and just a very light hit, faded away.  Dunno if something like getting it wet would expand the wood back out and fill it in either, you can steam out minor dings in wood somewhat ...  

And its not too uncommon for bubba to sand the stock down and refinish it.  

could be a special version for a presentation or special mission or something too, if it is exceptionally clean?

got pics?   An expert can probably figure it out with good pictures.  

I dunno, but don't a few have them in other locations like the very bottom/butt of the stock (either side?) ?? 

My best guess from the pic is a replacement stock.   But its only a guess.  I do not know if there were, for example, 250k or something unstamped and unused milsurp stocks left in a warehouse after the war or something?   I dunno if such a thing might have been used at the armory to fix a gun that say took a round in the stock or fell in a fire or whatever, either. 

Guest TNSovereignty

To follow along w/ other random thoughts ... I got a Springfield Garand Service Grade a few years back that had both birch & walnut wood.  While all the wood may have seemed original (because it was aged & bunged up) I suspect the rifle was all-birch or all-walnut when issued.  Maybe this dovetails w/ other thoughts - that you're looking at a replacement stock?  

It's a replacement stock.  Don't get your knickers in a wad.  I got royally jacked by CMP on the wood that came with my Winny Garand.  It is what it is. You can get an original stock if you like with the cartouches but it's gonna cost, big time. 

You might also pull the stock off and see if there are any markings inside the barrel channel or underneath the buttplate.  I think some stocks will have a number or symbol there.

This is by no means all-inclusive but does show some unique features of each of the original manufacturers....http://www.trfindley.com/pgm1stkid.html

Also, try the CMP forums.  I bet they could get it figured out pretty quick.

Edited by Garufa

20131220_124040.jpg20131220_124351.jpg20131220_124203.jpg20131220_124307.jpg20131220_124847.jpg

Alright here's some more. Thanks Garufa for the stock sight. Comparing to the different types, it does seem to be a Springfield stock. I did have it completely took apart including the butt plate. Nothing.

MikeW, I have seen where you can get those cartouch stamps and I'm sure some people have stamped their stock to raise the price of them.

I'm pretty sure it was sanded in it's past life.  The wood around the butt plate is the sign.  Normally the wood should overhang the metal plate a bit...."proud" as they say.  Also see a repair at the toe.  If there were any cartouches and they were lightly struck the sanding would have taken them off.

Sounds about right. I may get a magnifying glass and look around at the normal places and see if I can find a faint hint of anything. LOL

A magnifying glass, a good flashlight, and some patience.  Move the light around while you look at a particular area.  As the shadow changes, sometimes you can pick up little hints of markings.  It also helps to know what you're looking for.