General value "range" of a 303 Enfield

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

I set my Book of Gun values somewhere and cant locate it at the moment. I met up with someone today who is looking to sell a couple of guns. Said he doesnt post pictures of guns online so I dont know how he will sell them. But wondering what the value, generally, might be.

One is a 303 Enfield. It's a '43 from what I could tell, British, Crown Markings, not Pakistani or one of the others. Original stock is on it but Sporterized, shoots pretty good, I shot it (He and his nephew took a deer each with it recently), general condition I would call around 80% or better, it is complete, including  original butt plate. I know very little about the 303, do not and never have owned one. I keep seeing prices ranging all over the place. Another thing I noticed is it is pretty short, I thought it might be a carbine but I don't know. As I recall, (It was raining and hard to see the marking with my glasses) it is a MK II.

The other one is a Norinco pistol in 7.62 x 25. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TankerHC

I wouldn't give anyone $150 for a "sporterized" milsurp. All collector value has been ruined unless it can be restored, but most of the time they are too far gone. Damn you, bubba. 

One thing I am not sure about is what classifies a milsurp as sporterized. I am not sure if it is stock only or stock and hardware. I see around the various forums people calling both sporterized, I have never done it to a milsurp and have never owned a sporterized milsurp. But I can tell you what has been done to this one, the stock has been cut down and varnished and thats it, everything else is original to the gun, including the sights. If sporterized includes being drilled and tapped, this one hasnt. But as mentioned I do not know for sure what actually classifies a milsurp as sporterized.

Edit: Found three on Armslist, a 42 and 2 x 43's, look exactly like the one I am asking about and all say sporterized. All 3 are $200 each.   

Edited by TankerHC

If they have been touched by Bubba and not in a good way they are not worth much.  But we all must remember when Bubba got his hands on them many years ago he did not know any better.  If done by a modern day Bubba now that is worthy of punishment.  $150 is about tops what I would pay for a sporterized Enfield. I have some and do not pay more than 350-400 for numbers matching unmolested ones.  BTW they are some VERY fine rifles.

One thing I am not sure about is what classifies a milsurp as sporterized. I am not sure if it is stock only or stock and hardware. I see around the various forums people calling both sporterized, I have never done it to a milsurp and have never owned a sporterized milsurp. But I can tell you what has been done to this one, the stock has been cut down and varnished and thats it, everything else is original to the gun, including the sights. If sporterized includes being drilled and tapped, this one hasnt. But as mentioned I do not know for sure what actually classifies a milsurp as sporterized.

Edit: Found three on Armslist, a 42 and 2 x 43's, look exactly like the one I am asking about and all say sporterized. All 3 are $200 each.

I don't understand refinishing milsurp stocks honestly. In terms of the enfields, I have seen many that have just had their forearms removed, and that's an easy replacement.