Wife interested in Handgun!

Guest LegalRaptor

Guest LegalRaptor

My wife is interested in getting a handgun. I let her try my G19, but her hand is small, and she has trouble getting a good grip on the wide doublestack size grip. I was thinking about a Kahr CW9 for her. I've never had a Kahr. What are your thoughts on a good gun for her? She's also thinking of participating in the local IDPA style shooting league, and only wants one firearm, so this is an issue to consider as well. Ideas are solicited!:D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macho999

The thing about women and guns is everyone pushes them to the small ones, but a lot of the small ones hurt for people who shoot a lot to shoot regularly.

If she's like any lady I've ever known if you pick something out for her or force her into a gun she'll hate it by default. I'd give her some suggestions for some thinner full sized guns like a 1911 but let her pick out what she wants.

I don't have my own wife so that may all just be BS.

LegalRaptor,

Since you are in Memphis, swing by Range USA and have her rent a couple different guns to try out. While the range does not have a Kahr to rent they do have a Bersa Thunder, and a variety of 9mm (Glock, Springfield, S&W, etc)

The rental cost is $10 per lane session, so you can get a Glock, shoot a mag through it, swap it out for the XD, shoot a mag through it, swap it ou for a S&W, etc. There is no additional charge to change out the rental gun, unless you change calibers, then you just need to buy that ammunition.

Guest db99wj
LegalRaptor,

Since you are in Memphis, swing by Range USA and have her rent a couple different guns to try out. While the range does not have a Kahr to rent they do have a Bersa Thunder, and a variety of 9mm (Glock, Springfield, S&W, etc)

The rental cost is $10 per lane session, so you can get a Glock, shoot a mag through it, swap it out for the XD, shoot a mag through it, swap it ou for a S&W, etc. There is no additional charge to change out the rental gun, unless you change calibers, then you just need to buy that ammunition.

What he said:up:

• Administrator

If I had to pick just one gun and say it would probably be right up your wife's alley I would say... 9mm 1911. :)

Single stack, decent caliber, external safety which a lot of women seem to prefer, and based off the gun that God himself crafted and then bestowed upon John Moses Browning atop Mt. ACP years ago. It's no coincidence that guys named Moses get all the cool stuff from God. And it's also no coincidence that many of the top competitive shooters still favor the 1911. I'd think it would do everything she wants and more. You'll probably end up trying to borrow it a lot yourself and end up getting pistol whipped when it turns up missing and she finds it in your possession. :D

Guest Phantom6

I had a little gal come to one of my basic pistol classes and hubby had bought her a Taurus .40 cal. semi just like his. She had shot his before but ws uncomfortable with it. I switched her over to a Walther P-22 for the class and she did wonderfully though hubby was a tad bit miffed when he came to pick her up after class. In that class we spend about a 45 min. to an hour on gun selection. When she came back for her permit class several months later she was sporting a brand new S&W 908 9mm double action stainless small framed pistol. She shot great. She shot great in my last PPIH class and I expect to have her in my upcoming PPOTH class.

The point is, first find the caliber she is comfortable with (.38 or better for IDPA & personal protection). As kckndrgn suggested let her shoot a bunch of different pistols. Then decide on the type (wheel or semi) and then finally a manufacturer. What ever you do let her make the final decisions (with a little guidence of course).

• Administrator

Legalraptor (and Southpaw) ...

The first is more geared toward concealed carry. The second would work for that too but isn't as small, but might be a better choice for someone also wanting to use it in a practical pistol competition of some sort.

Both are in the $1,000 MSRP range which is typical of a mid-end 1911 style handgun.

Guest LegalRaptor

Thanks for all the input. I assure all of you that I had no intention of getting her a gun without her first handling it! She would shoot me first, then the targets! :eek: I hadn't considered the 9mm 1911. Good thought, there. Since she isn't really interested in concealed carry (unless I can change her mind) the larger single stacks would do fine. I even considered the M&P 9mm with the small palm swell, and haven't eliminated it. I'll take her to G&A next week, then the range to test out the options.

Guest Voodoo_1

LegalRaptor,

When you go to G&A next week, get your wife to try the HK USP compact. They have one just like the one I bought with the stainless slide. I didn't realize until last night that the grip size, being slimmer than most compacts, is well suited for a lady's smaller hand. My daughter came by for a visit last night and after my new HK came up in conversation see wanted to see it.

I took the mag out, ejected the round in the chamber, put in a snap cap, and handed it over to her. It fit well and she enjoyed dry firing it with the snap cap. The only problem I had was getting it back from her. She said "this is going home with me" and then gave me those I want one dad eyes. Looks like their may be another HK purchased in the near future if she gets the bug like I did.:confused:

Good luck with your search.

LegalRaptor,

The only problem I had was getting it back from her. She said "this is going home with me" and then gave me those I want one dad eyes. Looks like their may be another HK purchased in the near future if she gets the bug like I did.:eek:

AHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH:owned:

The Dad eyes work pretty well don't they?

I get "uncle eyes"..and "fiance eyes"..pretty soon it'll be "wife eyes and Dad eyes".

personally, I can't wait! :confused:

Congrats on your HK Voodoo..and for Your children! That gives me hope that the world I will raise my children in won't be morally bankrupt.

Raptor, If you get a chance to let your wife handle a browning mk III, go for it...its about the size of the S&W Sigma, but thinner! I didn't realize how much thinner it is compared to other pistols until Boomhower pointed it out to me.

as for quality, you can't beat it...its' made by FN under license from browning. avg price is 650.00

another choice for small hands would be a bursa .380

Julie and I walked into a Gunshop the other day and she commented that the .380 felt good to her...she also has small hands. Thats about as small as I would go for self defense..and even that is chancy..I'm a firm believer in throwing a volkswagen at them if you can. case in point?

Here's a pic of Phantom6 shooting my thunder5

fn_fal-04.JPG

here's a pic afterwards...

45holster.jpg

Guest witchdr

My wife carries a Charte Arms off-duty in .38 spl. and won't carry any thing else but ,hey,it's light accurate and +p rated.Ieven bought her a Ruger p-95 D but she still sticks with the .38.Ohwell ,at least she is carrying.

Guest looneeetunes

i bought my wife just a few min. ago a smith mod.37 airweight special. i think this will be a good gun for her. every semi auto i own she cant slide the slide and even got her finger caught in one. i have a 25 she can operate but come on thats just little more than an airsoft. i would rather have a semi for her but 5 rounds of 38 beats nothing

Of course, she will have to decide for herself. But... you can't go wrong w/ a K frame S&W. Renting and shooting different guns is a good idea, but it's not quite the same as getting used to shooting the gun (over time). With the revolver, she could learn gun handling and trigger control w/ a simple, user friendly "bullet platform". Besides, she can always sell it later and buy a semi when she feels ready to take that on.

Thought you might like this story:

I was acting as an RO at a local permit class. A man and his wife were taking the course and he brought one gun for both of them to shoot (they were shooting on different relays at an indoor range). It was a S&W M29 (44 Mag).

She wasn't a regular "shooter" and I could tell that she had had it w/ that gun after about 12 rounds fired (he only brought 44 Mag ammo, no 44 Special). I talked her into finishing w/ a range owned M586 shooting 38 Special ammo. She did great and the hubby never said a word. I think she had a "prayer meeting" w/ him when no one was looking!:D

Guest Phantom6
Thought you might like this story:

I was acting as an RO at a local permit class. A man and his wife were taking the course and he brought one gun for both of them to shoot (they were shooting on different relays at an indoor range). It was a S&W M29 (44 Mag).

She wasn't a regular "shooter" and I could tell that she had had it w/ that gun after about 12 rounds fired (he only brought 44 Mag ammo, no 44 Special). I talked her into finishing w/ a range owned M586 shooting 38 Special ammo. She did great and the hubby never said a word. I think she had a "prayer meeting" w/ him when no one was looking!;)

Hubby probably thought he was going to prove something to the little wifey. I'd say that about the only thing he proved is that A.) he was a dumb ass when it comes to simple finances and B.) How much he really enjoys sleeping on the couch in the den. :cool:

I try to head stuff like that off when I get an opportunity to talk to folks prior to the class but sometimes I think I am just :D

heheheh I don't have that problem...Julie told me when she shot the browning that "that has too much recoil...get me a different one" :( I love her...

When you get people that have a point to prove and try to do it in that sort of manner..it usually doesn't turn out that well for them. Mike, you of course use common sense when dealing with that sort of thing.

Just goes to show ya..the only thing more prevalent in the universe than hydrogen, is stupidity.

Sadly, I don't think he was trying to prove anything. I think it was just a matter of being cheap (didn't want to get two guns). You have probably seen it all, but I am still amazed at some of the things people do when it comes to the permit class.

I'm gonna post this in the hope that it might help some of the newer shooters. If you guys have anything to add, please do. Also, if you think it might be better to move it somewhere else (training forum, maybe?), please do so. Here goes:

Most permit instructors are more interested in a student being safe (gun handling) and knowing how the firearms functions than they are w/ how well the student shoots. The shooting portion of the permit course is not difficult. If a student knows how to use the sights and doesn't yank the trigger like they are trying to start a chainsaw, they will pass the shooting. It seems that people are too concerned w/ the shooting portion. Students should be safe w/ their firearms and know how it functions (believe it or not, this is often a problem). I would also suggest that students focus more on the state law portion of the course.

What do you think, Phantom? After all, you actually teach the course. I just help out as an RO.