Medical Training Classes

Guest Drop

I've had all the red cross classes and I was a 50 state certified EMT for quite a few years so I've had lots of those clsses.  That said, while it's true that first aid is first aid and knowing the basics is important I would suggest that there is a difference between most first aid class and medical classes taught from the standpoint of treating a gunshot woulnd (especially if the injured person is yourself!).

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the delay on any new information, but it seems things are picking up steam at the college now.

The college is in full support of the class being offered through their continuing education department. The program director emailed me this morning and wanted to know if I was ready to go. Overall, I'm good to go as far as the curriculum and presentation but I just need to meet with the program director and college officials to iron out the final details (location, some equipment, maximum number of students, maybe an assistant to help). I'm hoping to get with him before Thanksgiving next week.

I also have to give them ideas about where to advertise. Any ideas from the members here? I was definitely thinking about seeing if the college could advertise at the local ranges and maybe guns shops. I will keep everyone updated here as I get more information.

Thanks for keeping up with the thread!
The class will be held in the Memphis, TN area. I apologize to the interested members in middle and East Tennessee, but the current format probably will not allow for another location. I am going to ask at the meeting next week to see if other locations are a possibility. I've made this type of presentation in other locations across the south, but since the class will fall under the umbrella of the college, I just don't know.

Thanks,
Drop
TNHAWK,

The format of the class is geared towards the actions a person can take if they or another person sustains traumatic injuries typically found during violent encounters (penetrating and blunt force injuries). I like to follow a simple format for this that includes practical applications and the why behind what's done today in street trauma care. There really isn't a tactical element to class since the focus is on treating the injured. The are so many different ways to approach a violent situation , I just want to make sure the injured are given every chance to survive.

By chance did you take a look at several previous posts about the curriculum? That might be of some help also. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions though.

Drop

TNHAWK,

The format of the class is geared towards the actions a person can take if they or another person sustains traumatic injuries typically found during violent encounters (penetrating and blunt force injuries). I like to follow a simple format for this that includes practical applications and the why behind what's done today in street trauma care. There really isn't a tactical element to class since the focus is on treating the injured. The are so many different ways to approach a violent situation , I just want to make sure the injured are given every chance to survive.

By chance did you take a look at several previous posts about the curriculum? That might be of some help also. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions though.

Drop

The curriculum doesn't look different than the training I had in the military, unless this goes well beyond the level of training we received before assignment to combat areas.  I'd expect this would be more up to date  and a good refresher on treatment techniques.

Edited by tnhawk
Had my meeting with the program coordinator at the college yesterday. He's pretty excited by this and we worked on an advertising plan, ordered the supplies we need (essentially what's in an IFAK), and got the location worked out. After we went through the presentation, we figured it will be about an 8 hour class. The focus will be on the injuries, treatment priorities, and patient care techniques. I want a student to walk away with enough knowledge to effectively use what's typically found in an IFAK. There will be plenty of practical exercises and there are some very interesting high energy wound simulators we will use that the college has.

The college will be getting the advertising package ready soon that will include a course flyer and registration information. Once that's done the date will be set for the first class. For some it will be their first introduction into some type of medical training and for others it could be a good refresher.

Drop