Coyote Hunting Question

Now that I have the Tennessee Sportsman Life-time license (I am a disabled wartime vet and have the license for $10).  I was asked to thin the coyote population where I deer hunt on my dad's land.

Regulations I found:

Year round season, no bag limit

No use of centerfire rifles during deer seasons (from what I can gather)

No use of predator calls at night.

Ok with that, how is it done? 

What do have, a 10/22 rifle with scope.  AR-15 (.223) caliber with red-dot sight and tactical light.

Smartphone with coyote call application. 

I want to be legal, it will be obvious from my hunting location that I will be seen using a light and an AR-15 will be heard.

My suggestions are early morn and evening, but with mating season fast approaching and time of the day is possible.

When I first started I tried the sound app on the phone, but quickly realized I was set up to fail (within first 30 min)

If possible go buy a distress call. Expect to spend less than $20. Bass pro has a call I really like and have had tons of success with. It's called the Lil SkiYote. It's a small blue open reed that works great. And for making the sounds, simply make it sound like you are murdering a small animal.

There are very few ways to hunt at night (legally in Tn that is). Using artificial light is not legal. And in all reality, it would be tough as hell to even see one at night. Daylight is the only way to go for sure.

Contrary to popular belief, those little wild dogs are incredibly smart and cunning. So smart in fact that you can educate them rather quickly by blowing the same call, or not changing your calling strategy, pattern, or sound.

And like I've offered others, if interested and ever want to give it a shout, I don't mind calling for a person or showing them anything I know.
  • Like 2

Please use the 223 (not FMJ as that is illegal) so when you do hit one it dies quickly.  You could probably use a 22, but why, it's not fair to the animal unless you have a perfectly placed shot.  Plus, if it is at any distance, you will just end up wounding it.  Some may disagree, but I am always looking for a humane kill.  Since you have a 223, use it.  Personally, I don't think a red dot is a great option for Coyote hunting though.  If possible, I would get at least a 3-9x scope to put on it.  It doesn't have to be expensive as a 223 doesn't have a lot of recoil and an AR decreases it even further.

• Like 3

Now that I have the Tennessee Sportsman Life-time license (I am a disabled wartime vet and have the license for $10).  I was asked to thin the coyote population where I deer hunt on my dad's land.

Regulations I found:

Year round season, no bag limit

No use of centerfire rifles during deer seasons (from what I can gather)

No use of predator calls at night.

Ok with that, how is it done? 

What do have, a 10/22 rifle with scope.  AR-15 (.223) caliber with red-dot sight and tactical light.

Smartphone with coyote call application. 

I want to be legal, it will be obvious from my hunting location that I will be seen using a light and an AR-15 will be heard.

As Hozzie said, use the AR. Take the tactical light off before you hunt with it (they are not legal to have on your weapon while hunting). You don't want to get accused of "spot lighting".

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
223 would be best. You can use centerfire during deer season with a life time sportsman license as you can be deer hunting with centerfire and if you see a coyote you can shoot it. On private land should be good to go any time with centerfire. WMA may have to use rimfire which I thinks a bunch of crap there is not really a great rimfire cartridge for coyote. Although I am going to try the new 17WSM. Coyotes are smart and the hardest thing I have ever hunted good luck with them. Early and Late are best times.

Jason
  • 9 months later...
Guest Whitfed
Reopening an old subject.

A predator call can or cannot be use?

Most of the time dusk is when we see them and sometimes after the light has gone down. I have to 223 ar and a held held thermal unit but just sold my pvs14 night vision. I would need a green light. (Is this spot lighting?)

Being that dusk is also good deer shooting time, if I see a coyete, using my 7mm08 is out of the question?

Is there a good place on TW website to reference?

Any input would be great. I have been searching for some time it's mixed results.

Reopening an old subject.

A predator call can or cannot be use?

Most of the time dusk is when we see them and sometimes after the light has gone down. I have to 223 ar and a held held thermal unit but just sold my pvs14 night vision. I would need a green light. (Is this spot lighting?)

Being that dusk is also good deer shooting time, if I see a coyete, using my 7mm08 is out of the question?

Is there a good place on TW website to reference?

Any input would be great. I have been searching for some time it's mixed results.

predator calls (including electronic) are legal for coyote in TN, during daylight hunting hours (same as without call).

Here is the TN reg guide - http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

I will note, that any legal way to take deer is also legal for yote (during deer season). Yote may always be taken by same method as game in season (large or small).

The rules for private land vs public are not the same. Read them carefully.  And yes.  It is confusing.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

You can kill coyotes on private land during modern gun deer season with a centerfire rifle.  I don't think you can centerfire rifle coyote hunt during archery or muzzleloader deer season.  You would have to use a shotgun (loaded with T shot), rimfire, if you do not use the tackle legal for the archery or muzzleloading deer season.  You might want to call TWRA to be sure.  I would not want to use a 22 LR on coyote.  That 17 WSM is a good looking round and what I would consider if i didn't want to use a bow or shotgun during deer archery season.