2014 Spring Turkey Hunting Thread

Just had shoulder surgery Thursday, so I'm hoping to be back on the shotgun in a couple o' weeks to double check the patterning...hope so, anyway :x: .  I'm with Nick and Whiskey....after I get a couple in the bag with Hevi13 I'm planning on trying to behead one with some 2.5" 100 gr. Guillotines.  Pretty much relegated to the crossbow, as I likely will never be able to pull and hold a bow again.

Either way, I'm probably gonna be living vicariously through this little 'un.  Gonna try to get her on some birds with both gun and bow at some point.  She's 10 and chompin' harder at the bit than even I am.

[url=http://postimage.org/]photo_1.jpg[/url]

[url=http://postimage.org/]photo_2.jpg[/url]

[url=http://postimage.org/]photo_3.jpg[/url]

Edited by homeagain
  • Like 4

I picked up a waterproof friction (composite) call at the show and my buddy picked up a waterproof box call (one handed use with a rubber band attachment) and also a Ghost Blind.  After all the rain last turkey season I am ready to put it to use. Good show this year.  Not as much flea market stuff as last year and smoother process of getting in.  Didn't have to wait in a super long line.

Hey Shaun, I stopped by the Oak Ridge booth and picked up one of their glass calls. It sounds great. Looking forward to using it in the woods.

I got me one today. Jimmy is a great guy and builds some really good calls. He once again gave my daughter a slate call. He always spoils her every year. They do sound awesome. Wish I knew you were there.
  • 1 month later...

I started in north Alabama last weekend. Not much happening. Heard one gobbler, didn't see any birds till our drive out on Sunday. 

Hit Fort Campbell today. Heard one hen. 

It's seems like it will be a slower start this year. That suits me, seems less turkeys get killed opening day when things start slow. 

Guest seehorn
Went out on ft Campbell this morning and didn't hear or see anything down in TA 21. Stayed till I got soaked and the cold set in and called it a day. This is my first year going after turkey's so hopefully it picks up a little

I probably heard 15 birds this morning but, I probably heard about 12-15 hens too. After fly down all the gobblers shut up and I don't know where they went. I stayed till about 7:30 then the rain set in. Might have been a good morning at about 10:00 if the rain hadn't been pouring down.

Edited by roverboy

I hit the turkey woods today here in West Tennessee.  Like others, lots of wind, rain and cold temperatures.  That doesn't stop the turkeys so it doesn't stop me either! That being said...when conditions are terrible, the best chance you will have is to already have them patterned because you wont be able to located them or call them in more likely than not.  Unfortunately for me, the property I hunted is new to me so I didnt have them patterned.   We did se 5 total turkeys, all gobblers, but they never were within shooting range.  Hopefully this cool weather gets ou t of here soon and gives us some strong turkey conditions!  

I hit the turkey woods today here in West Tennessee.  Like others, lots of wind, rain and cold temperatures.  That doesn't stop the turkeys so it doesn't stop me either! That being said...when conditions are terrible, the best chance you will have is to already have them patterned because you wont be able to located them or call them in more likely than not.  Unfortunately for me, the property I hunted is new to me so I didnt have them patterned.   We did se 5 total turkeys, all gobblers, but they never were within shooting range.  Hopefully this cool weather gets ou t of here soon and gives us some strong turkey conditions!  

Yeah, Yesterday was a bust for me. I did hear several birds though. Today was pretty windy and cold. I needed to get in by 10:00 this morning and didn't really get to hang around to see if they was gonna fire back up.

Had one come in and hang up on my lone deke. Probably shouldn't use decoys anymore. He was out about 80 yards couldn't get him to come any closer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta hate when that happens. Did you have just a hen deke out? 

If I am going single deke, I like to use a jake. I like to use a jake and hen together better. 

I had one gobble for about an hour. I doubled back around the holler toward him he shut up. I went back to where I was he gobbled again. So I decided to walk the way is was going toward the truck drop some clothes and try another route. I dropped off the side of the ridge, crossed a holler, and hit another logging road to try to get close. I knew right where he was so I came in below him and sat about a 100yds from him down the ridge. This sucker gobbled this whole time for no reason at all. I sat down an called then got quiet on him. He kept on gobbling trying to get me to come and then after me doing very little calling finally decided he better come get me instead. He comes right down the logging road just like was supposed to, taking his sweet ass time stopping to gobble every few steps. He get to where I can see him then comes on and stops at 20yds wide open. Then I flat out flubbed the shot. He takes off flying straight away so my second and third shots weren't worth a damn either. Wouldn't have mattered I suppose since I checked before I left and all the sudden my gun shoots low left. Idk wtf happened. I guess a different lot of shells or something.
So I guess he won't be gobbling like that ever again. And I had a peanut butter sammich 'stead of turkey for supper. I walked my butt off for 2 hours trying to get him. I have no idea how I only walked uphill all morning but I did. Edited by JWC

Gotta hate when that happens. Did you have just a hen deke out? 

If I am going single deke, I like to use a jake. I like to use a jake and hen together better.

Yup. Single hen. Couldn't find my jake deke. Think I'll go dekeless next outing.

First bird of the season. 9 1/2 inch beard and 1 inch spurs and figured he weighed around 23 pounds or so. Not a bad start to the season.

[URL=http://s525.photobucket.com/user/bean962/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140331_124715_zps78b979d1.jpg.html]20140331_124715_zps78b979d1.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s525.photobucket.com/user/bean962/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140331_134127_zps0a2662bf.jpg.html]20140331_134127_zps0a2662bf.jpg[/URL]

• Like 2