Gold Coins

bersaguy

Did anyone else hear about those folks in California that dug up about 3 cans of mint gold coins and some of the coins could be worth as much as a million bucks each. My question is who did they belong to before they got dug up yesterday and can that person reclaim them or can the Feds just confiscate them as Federal property. The people that found them said they were going to auction them off.

Here's an article on the law of "treasure trove."  Tennessee is somewhat different than many other states (including California) on a find like this.  However, given that the finders also appear to be the owners of the land, it seems they would get to keep the coins (even if they were in Tennessee).

http://www.muenzgeschichte.ch/downloads/laws-usa.pdf

The case regarding Spanish coins found by a Florida search company is very different for several reasons.  The main reason is that the coins were not found in the United States and were actually still located onboard a Spanish vessel.  As a result, the coins were located in Spanish sovereign territory.

Since the newest coin was 1894, I doubt if the previous owner(s) are still around ...

I don't know anything about California laws on found items on your personal property.  I don't know anything about Tennessee's laws on this subject either.  But I can promise that if I were to ever find anything like that, there won't be internet posts, forum threads, interviews or any other public information about it ...

• Like 4

Yep, I would have been as quiet as a church mouse about it and may have sold one or two of them to a private collector on case of anonymity and moved to Alaska and lived a very comfortable and quiet worry free life. That or moved to Big Sky Montana and lived pretty much same life style. I have always wanted to live in both or either one of those places. I would have told that collector that as long as he kept his mouth shut I would continue to do business with him and he would have an exclusive on any coins I might decide to sell from time to time. That would assure me an income and him an opportunity to be on the ground floor on buying the coins. I had no doubt the IRS was knocking on their door for breakfast and coffee at 6AM Sharp.......................jmho 

• Like 1

Stupid people. The IRS has already contacted them.

Shoulda kept their traps shut instead of craving fame on TV.

x2

How is it that I always hear about these people that want to remain anonymous on the fooking nightly news !!!

After hearing the story this morning my guess is they were a collectors from long ago and were stolen only to be buried by the thief and the thief met an early demise and took the burial site to their grave.

Now whoever that was, he knew how to remain anonymous :up:

Edited by FUJIMO

So did anyone see the latest on this story ?

http://www.newser.com/story/183252/source-of-buried-california-gold-century-old-heist.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews

2 things.

First, as posted above that BS line about ol miner forty niner burying them didn't win me over.

And second, the best kept secret is one where you NEVER TELL A FOOKING SOUL , LOL !!!!

I would have hit up a coin show here and there and sell some of them off. I would also hit gun shows and done some trading and built a nice gun collection and otherwise lived a normal life.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 1

Who did not know the goverment would get in on this.........?

The latest from this morning is it was the treasury dept.'s to begin with.

"We just had it stolen and it just happens to be the exact amount you have there" , lmao.

They ( the finders ) deserve everything the get from ol uncle sam. He's lathering up his chrome horn as we speak :)

Edited by FUJIMO