Fake Gibson Geetars Being Sold Around Nashville

Seems we have several pickers in the house, so I thought I'd share this news story.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24884384/fake-gibson-guitars-hit-music-city-market

Officials with the Murfreesboro Police Department said they have confiscated seven different Les Paul guitars that have been sold in area pawn shops. They do have one suspect identified as Wade Massey of Nashville.

• Like 1
Been going on a long time. :( there used to be pretty good tells, two screw truss rod covers vs 1-3 screw, tuner spacing, finish quality etc.
The Chinese started getting feedback on that and many are now "improved". Even the "better" fakes are nothing like a Gibson or even lower end epiphone. The hardware and electronics are absolute junk. I've seen silver painted plastic used instead of chromed metal.

The biggest tell has always been price.

Unless its fake or stolen, if it sounds too good to be true it is.
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

I didnt read the article, but I nearly bought one off Ebay. Couldn't believe my eyes, a LES PAUL CUSTOM FOR $300! Then I started comparing the photo to my Les Paul Standard. Wrong headstock shape, wrong emblem, the line in the G was too short and "Gibson" was off by just a small amount at the wrong angle, (Gibson doesnt make a mistake  like that) the pickups didnt seem quite right.

Used to be a member of a Guitar Forum and showed it to the Gibby experts. FAKE! There were so many things wrong with it I should have just stopped at the Gibson name. But the other person on my right shoulder wanted it to be a real Gibson LP Custom for $300, badly, while the other guy on my left kept saying...you know its a damn fake, and even if you do buy it, it aint gonna fool anyone who knows Gibson.

I later learned the fake Gibsons on Ebay were being manufactured at the Samick factory, smuggled out blanks and Gibson decals put on them. And this was 4 or 5 years ago. 

Edited by TankerHC
It was so bad a few years back my local pawn shop would have nothing to do with Gibson. I had just started a new job after being out if work and money was TIGHT. Tried pawning a $2k+ guitar, only wanted $50 on a loan. Guy wouldn't do it. Just not worth the risk according to him , guess I can't blame him.
Guest TankerHC

Hey, I went to a (Major Chain) Pawn in MS and they had a Martin D-28 for $200. I picked that up without even playing it, one of the employees said "You dont want that, its a fake".  My brother was with me and he was holding it and began playing it. Sounded worse than a 1972 K. The guy who said I didnt want it said he is actually the one who bought it for $500. Said he used the book, then his boss came in took one look, picked it for a minute then raised holy hades. Only fake Martin I have ever seen. 

I saw this on channel 5 news this morning. They had his picture to go with the name. Seems like they should pick him up pretty quick.

Will he be charged if he bought them as real and thought they were? Would he have to return the money if he thought they were real? Most likely he is a criminal but you never know.

Edited by swim615

I saw this on channel 5 news this morning. They had his picture to go with the name. Seems like they should pick him up pretty quick.

Will he be charged if he bought them as real and thought they were? Would he have to return the money if he thought they were real? Most likely he is a criminal but you never know.

If he pawned all seven, at multiple shops.... Seems like whoever did it thought he knew what he was doing.

• Like 2
Guest TankerHC

If he pawned all seven, at multiple shops.... Seems like whoever did it thought he knew what he was doing.

Multiple shops would also indicate that some Pawn shop employees need to be better trained. (There are actual photo's of the elusive Les Paul available for comparison). But then again, that D-28 I was talking about, if I had played it I would have known right off the bat. But they had that sucker down right to the numbers stamped on the neck block and every detail was exact, the only problem was that is sounded like doo doo. If the scam artists could have built one that even came close to the sound of a D-28 I would have still bought it. 

I did a lot of business with Fondren Guitars down in Jackson, MS. They did all of my setups. They also bought and traded several guitars from me. Even if a guitar looked perfect and I played it right in front of them with their best amp, they still would have to play it themselves. But that is a guitar shop full of experts and instructors. 

Guest TankerHC

Just took a  look at the video. Same exact guitars from 5 years ago, those are not just Chinese, those are Samicks.  And some manufactured Samicks are darn good guitars. In fact some are so good plenty of pro's use those brands. An example (And dont bash me Guitar purists, this is only my opinion) I dont know why anyone would spend a ton of money on a modern SG when the older Epiphone SG's are just as good and are made by Samick. Some of the Squires, $100 guitars that were made by Samick several years ago are also top notch. There was one model, and I cannot recall the name, single pickup, had a retro look that was so good and sold so many that the story was that Fender dropped the line because it was eating into their Pro lines. The Black Crow's lead guitarist used one, on stage. That guitar costs $89 new. Change the pickup and they were top notch. I have seen them in Pawn Shops as late as last year depending on the pickup, going for upwards of $500. (Anyone remember which one I am talking about?)

Just took a  look at the video. Same exact guitars from 5 years ago, those are not just Chinese, those are Samicks.  And some manufactured Samicks are darn good guitars. In fact some are so good plenty of pro's use those brands. An example (And dont bash me Guitar purists, this is only my opinion) I dont know why anyone would spend a ton of money on a modern SG when the older Epiphone SG's are just as good and are made by Samick. Some of the Squires, $100 guitars that were made by Samick several years ago are also top notch. There was one model, and I cannot recall the name, single pickup, had a retro look that was so good and sold so many that the story was that Fender dropped the line because it was eating into their Pro lines. The Black Crow's lead guitarist used one, on stage. That guitar costs $89 new. Change the pickup and they were top notch. I have seen them in Pawn Shops as late as last year depending on the pickup, going for upwards of $500. (Anyone remember which one I am talking about?)

Was it a single Humbucker?

The strat with the gold pick guard? One volume, one tone knob? I vaguely recall them being part if their "Player" series or some such.

A lot of today's squires are excellent guitars, some even have pretty good sounding pickups. The old squires from Japan were absolute killers though, I don't think I've ever seen a less than exceptional guitar come out of Fuji Gen under any name.

I used to love going through Guitar Center and playing Gibson, fender custom shop, PRS etc. and falling in love with all the great American guitars. Now that I own most of what I want, I find myself playing a lot more imports and lower end stuff. It's more fun hunting for a great example or diamond in the rough with the <$400. guitars IMO. I played a used Danelectro at guitar center the other week ago for example, great guitar. Great tone, great neck, acceptable action, $200.

Shoulda bought the thing. :rolleyes:
Guest TankerHC

Wasnt the Strat and I actually found it, took me forever because I couldnt remember the name. Its the Squire '51. Strat style body, one single coil,  Tele headstock, Maple fretboard. Fender pulled it, and now they have their own '51, the Fender '51 under their Fender Pawn Shop series. Cost a  grand for American Made, 700 for the Mexican. I would be willing to bet that the Mexican is the exact same guitar as the Squire '51 that cost $89 and can be had vintage and modified with and upgraded pickup for $175-$200. 

One thing I just noticed, they have a 2013 Squier re-issue of the Squire '51. No doubt it was a good guitar for Fender to re-issue a Squier under the Squier name. 

Edited by TankerHC

Wasnt the Strat and I actually found it, took me forever because I couldnt remember the name. Its the Squire '51. Strat style body, one single coil,  Tele headstock, Maple fretboard. Fender pulled it, and now they have their own '51, the Fender '51 under their Fender Pawn Shop series. Cost a  grand for American Made, 700 for the Mexican. I would be willing to bet that the Mexican is the exact same guitar as the Squire '51 that cost $89 and can be had vintage and modified with and upgraded pickup for $175-$200. 

One thing I just noticed, they have a 2013 Squier re-issue of the Squire '51. No doubt it was a good guitar for Fender to re-issue a Squier under the Squier name. 

The Squire 51 was my first guitar. My stepdad tried to teach me how to play but it never worked. I at one time had 18 guitars that had never been played. I wish I still had some of them and knew how to play.