So I begin my descent into madness...

I used to jump on TGO and head straight to the "ammo and reloading" section but for the longest time now it has been mostly filled with .22lr rants so I've avoided it. Gives me a fuzzy feeling to see some good threads starting to show back up!

As for the RCBS hand primer, I have the regular RCBS hand primer with the round primer tray rather than the universal but have used both and prefer the non universal model. If you're loading for a caliber then you are already going to have the appropriate shell holder so unless i'm missing something you don't gain anything with the universal model.

As far as .223/5.56 component costs goes, you won't save much if you buy small amounts of commercial bullets and powder but if you'll get hooked up with David and get 55gr pulled bullets and surplus powder from him you can save a substantial amount of money.

I've used every common brand of primers and haven't had any real trouble from any of them. A friend had a couple of light strikes but I think that was more due to his rifle than the primers. I think I've had maybe 3 failure to fires out of 4-5,000 Remington SRP's. I've had zero problems out of CCI or Winchester SRP's but have only been through 2-3,000 of each of those. I will say that if given the choice of small rifle primer I will buy Wolf/Tula as I've never had the slightest bit of trouble and I've been through 15,000+ of them and that's a good track record IMO.

Enjoy the journey and Like Red said, "casting is the addiction"!

• Like 1

I bought the Hornady reloading manual 9th ed. and I must say this is quite the overload of information, lol. I can get the Hornady 80gr A-Max for a good price, I think that's what I'm going to load first into some 5.56 brass and charge em to just under the red zone.

Like Red said, "casting is the addiction"!

Won't non-jacketed rounds lead up the gas port?

Edited by whitewolf001

Dolomite has shoot a lot from his AR and he says no.

Caster shoots a lot of cast as well and I have not heard him say it will.

I am building a 300 AAC AR pistol, and will cast and shoot it.

I will let ya know, I dont think I will have a worry.

Whitewolf001, I started with a cast RCBS JR in 1970.  Still have it and would use it but got a deal on a RCBS RC and upgraded to the toggle linkage.  A cast press should out-live you, and perhaps another generation of your family.  No, have never owned an aluminum press, but have seen several owned by friends that failed to hold up to the continuous, heavy use like I gave my RCBS.  If you are looking for handgun cartridge service, aluminum should work out for you.  With rifle calibers, especially with case sizing and/or forming, you will appreciate a cast press immediately.  They are a no BS press that will give you more service than the initial cost suggests.  With handloading you have only 2 groups of materials to buy:  equipment (press, dies, and other durable goods) and components (consumable items of powder, primer, bullet). Replacement of equipment suggests either poor quality equipment, abuse by the user, or an intentional upgrade (ie, steel to carbide).  Replacement of components is expected and necessary, or you aren't shooting!  Invest wisely in your equipment and this should be a one-time investment. 

My brother and I have both loaded extensively, with good results on a Herter "C" type press that my father bought 70 years ago.  It will not wear out.  I have a Rockchucker which will out last the next three generation of my family.  My old RCBS Jr. is in the hands of it's 3d owner.  No better press to learn on and it will do for 90% of reloading.  Don't pinch pennies on your first press, make it your last press.

Edited by jaysouth