leather smith

Another vote for gjohnsoniv... And on this very topic, I got a knife that needs a sheath. I'll be in touch in a week or two. :)

Got my sheath back and I dig it!  :up:

Dad made the knife for me from a kit.  He's a talented wood worker, but hasn't ever tried knives before.  He made the grips from a piece of zebra wood.  He gave me a nylon sheath with it, but I thought it deserved something a little better.  While this sheath is pretty simple (at my request), I think this is much better.  Mostly because it fits the knife so well and fits on the correct side of my belt.  :)

IMG_8492-L.jpg

IMG_8493-L.jpg

IMG_8495-L.jpg

IMG_8498-L.jpg

IMG_8501-L.jpg

• 1 month later...
OK, leather smith I found was an epic fail. Started the journey in may. Contracted the sheath with certain specifications in mind. Waited 4 weeks (leather smith said it take one week) before I emailed to question the progress. Got the sheath a week later. Unfortunately it had some serious design features that were not discussed. Called him to talk about it and was assured it could be remade without the undesired features. Again was only told it'd take a week or two. Three weeks later I'm emailing again for a status. Next day I'm emailed a photo of a sheath that's so far from the original design, it looks like it was made for a totally different knife. "OK, thats not gonna work so maybe its best to return the knife and I'll look elsewhere for a sheath." He was very cordual and returned the knife the next business day.I have since been able to find a leather smith semi close to me so I'm very hopeful he can make what I envisioned for the knife. In the meantime I've been watching YouTube videos on holster and sheath making. Tried my hand at it today by repairing a sheath I have for my work knife. The stitching on the belt loop failed so I had the deconstruct the sheath and restitch it. Came out good for a first attempt. But it has prompted me to consider making a holster for my Seecamp. 32. Edited by Mykltn

OK, new update. My knife now has a new sheath. Local guy made me a beautiful sheath exactly like I wanted and had my knife returned in less than a week. This is the sheath this knife should have come with when new. Couldn't be happier with the workmanship.
IMG_20140726_213034.jpg
IMG_20140726_213050.jpg

• Like 1