Barrel reamer question

I have ordered a reamer from Brownell's and there is 2 different answers from 2 different Brownell's reps on the page. The questions are will this work as a throat reamer and is answered No you need a reamer that we don't stock. The 2nd question is what throat reamer do I need for this reamer and the answer is that it's integral throat reamer and finish chamber reamer.

The last answer is what it says in the description for the product.  Here's the link to it http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/reamers/centerfire-reamers/rimless-pistol-cartridges-rimless-pistol-cartridge-40-s-w-finisher-sku513-051-400-40866-19471.aspx  

Can someone smarter than me in this stuff tell me if it is indeed a throat/finished chamber reamer or if I need to send it back when it comes in and order something else to lengthen the lead on a KKM barrel.

That reamer looks like it has the leade on it. From the description it is what you need unless you are trying to change the angle of the leade.

The leade and the throat are the same thing. That reamer appears to have the leade on it.

To lengthen the leade I think you would have to change the angle.

I would email Dave Manson at David@mansonreamers.com Edited by DaveTN

I think that from reading the description this is a standard finishing reamer... It will bore the chamber to finish dimensions with standard freebore per the SAMMI dimensions... To add free bore, i think ya will need a different reamer...

Havin said all that; the answer, as Dave posted above, is to call or e-mail the Manson folks... 

Good luck...

leroy

They were both right. The standard reamer will cut the throat. But it is not a throating reamer. Throating readers are for cutting MORE throat.

If you're wanting to lengthen the throat on a standard chamber, you're going to need a separate throating reamer.

IF, however, your chamber was cut with little or no throat and you want to cut it to a standard length then the chamber reamer will do that.

I hope I stated that clearly.

If it's all still clear as mud, email Manson, tell them what you have (chamber- and reamer-wise) and they'll tell you what you need.
  • Like 1

The more I read the less I know what I need.  With BBI bullets I can load as long as the mag will hold. With my Falcons the rounds stop just shy of going all the way in.  I can get them to go all the way if I use an OAL of 1.110 instead of 1.120. I'm gonna ride to the different shops probably Wednesday and talk face to face with the smiths there. I can't get an straight answers over the phone from the "desk help".