Ar15 : first shots

I got me a new Bushmaster back in 2004 . I shot it a few times , maybe 40 rd and then put it up.  Here lately I shot it some more and didn't realize that these AR's get so dirty ! They are awesomely accurate but darn they get sssoooo dirty . My old Egyptian AK never got this dirty but I guess there is always a trade-off for accuracy . I am using the iron sights and it is still amazingly accurate. 

Just sharing my experiences. Any thoughts ? What I should do or get for it ? 

What ammunition are you shooting, mine is usually pretty clean, for I don't clean after every shooting session. I don't shot Wolf steel ammo, but most copper clad others.

All I shot was Federal brand ammo. 

Yeah, I can guarantee your gun is over gassed. Most guns built in the last 10 years use a larger than needed gas port. The reason is manufacturers do not want their guns coming back for warranty work because they will not cycle weak foreign ammo.

You can adjust the gas without replacing the block as well. There is a company that make a gas tube that can be adjusted.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2979396319/mgi-adjustable-gas-tube-ar-15

• Like 1
[quote name="tercel89" post="1147089" timestamp="1399563100"]Are there any negatives with having an over gased gun besides it being dirty ? Would it cause the action and bolt to slam against the gun harder and hurt it ?[/quote] Yes, over time it will wear parts faster. Think of it as beating itself up.
If you plan on shooting Russian circus ammo plan on doing some extra cleaning to compensate for money saved using the dirty stuff. You'd probably never be over gassed w a stock AR until u start making changes.being able to adjust gas is a nice commodity on a home brew or competition rifle for all reasons mentioned earlier. If you hate cleaning an ar but wanna stick w dirtier ammo go w a piston gun. Or stick with what you have,and work with it until you're completely happy w it!
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
[quote name="Dustbuster" post="1147098" timestamp="1399565124"]You'd probably never be over gassed w a stock AR until u start making changes[/quote]

The vast majority of new, factory rifles are over gassed these days. Manufacturers use larger ports so their guns are not sent back for repair because they will not cycle weak, combloc ammo.
I was going to correct this, but Dolo beat me. Also, the vast majority of barrels I've seen on the "budget" ($200 or so) end of things have largely oversized gas holes for the same reason. So even if you build, be careful Edited by KKing

The vast majority of new, factory rifles are over gassed these days. Manufacturers use larger ports so their guns are not sent back for repair because they will not cycle weak, combloc ammo.

Yep.  And the vast majority of those rifles will never be shot anywhere near enough to show any appreciable parts wear or breakage from being overgassed, so it's just easier for the manufacturers to err on the side of caution. 

And to be honest, most of the parts that are going to wear/break because of the overgassing are cheap and easy to replace anyway. 

[quote name="dcloudy777" post="1147125" timestamp="1399573851"]Yep. And the vast majority of those rifles will never be shot anywhere near enough to show any appreciable parts wear or breakage from being overgassed, so it's just easier for the manufacturers to err on the side of caution. And to be honest, most of the parts that [b]are[/b] going to wear/break because of the overgassing are cheap and easy to replace anyway. [/quote] Not to reinforce your point, but on a different tangent... most of those rifles will be bought by people who will never know they're overgassed. People that think the hard recoil is "normal". Probably 90% of all AR's out there aren't tuned like they should be. Yeah, it bothers me Edited by KKing

Are there any negatives with having an over gased gun besides it being dirty ? Would it cause the action and bolt to slam against the gun harder and hurt it ?

As mentioned by others, the bolt/carrier parts will wear out faster... Particularly the bolt itself at the lugs and cam pin hole... and the cam pin itself. Also, the carrier might be more prone to tilt, or the gas key could loosen.

Plus, there will be more felt recoil because the bolt-carrier is being slammed rearward while there is significant chamber pressure. Could arguably wear out your buffer spring faster. The lightest recoiling ARs are those with stock weight springs and a light buffer, with the gas turned down so it just has enough to cycle... Those of us with intentionally overgassed guns compensate with higher tension buffer springs and heavier buffers to slow the action down and reduce recoil, while keeping a margin of power for reliability even when the gun is dirty. The idea is to balance the forces, whether high gas and high mass/spring tension, or low gas and standard parts. The choice depends on whether the gun will be a safe queen powder puff target rifle or something you may fight with.

..oh yeah, and more gas means the bolt carrier gets hotter, will burn off lube faster (of it's not a piston gun) Edited by molonlabetn
  • Like 1