Advice needed

Guest REDDOG79

I use the same Kimber box for my pistols when I fly. You'll need to secure both slide openings with locks (not TSA locks). If you only lock one side they'll have a fit because you can slide the other side open and wedge open the container to get to the contents. As for ammo, I'm pretty sure that needs to also be in a locked container. Airlines will differ as to how it needs to be stowed. Some say you can't have it in magazines and others say its fine. I only fly United or Southwest and I check their web page the night before just in case there a recent changes. I also keep that webpage open on my phone when checking in, just in case the person working the counter is new and unfamiliar with all the rules of the airline. Usually they are well versed. People fly with guns a lot. Here is Southwest's page which explains proper securing of weapons and ammo: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one that I don't bother trying in that you are supposed to be able to carry loaded mags as long as they are in a pouch of sorts that completely encases then such as knife pouch with a Velcro closing flap etc.... Ammo does not need to be in a locked container as long as it is carried according to both TSA and your carriers directions.

From the TSA: You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely

enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely

placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

Just flew two pistols last week. Can't remember them ever marking my luggage before as containing a firearm, but I do recall the baggage folks at a few different airports holding weapons cases and not putting them on the belt. I'm not sure if that was because they didn't want to put an obvious weapons case on the belt or if it just wouldn't fit right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has to do with chain of custody IIRC. From what I recall, YOU hand your bag off directly to TSA for screening, or it is handed to TSA in front if you by an airline employee.

Just a little food for thought for those with concerns on packing a firearm on a flight: Can theft happen? Sure, it can happen anytime anywhere and airports are notorious for it. Now even with that in mind, when you fly with a gun your baggage is actually considerably safer than when you don't. As mentioned, TSA CANNOT open a bag with a declared firearm (again barring extenuating circumstance).
A lot of TSA related theft occurs during "behind the scenes" screening, screening that DOES NOT take place on baggage containing declared firearm/s. What this means in a nut shell is there NO legitimate reason for TSA to open the bag, period.

Professional photographers have been know to pack small cheap pistols in with their camera gear *specifically* to declare so TSA won't rummage through, break or steal their equipment.

To OP, get the rounds out of the locked case, throw them in the same locked bag as the case, and enjoy your flight. Have fun in CA, and have a safe ride home.

To OP, get the rounds out of the locked case, throw them in the same locked bag as the case, and enjoy your flight. Have fun in CA, and have a safe ride home.

Why? TSA and the carriers have no issue with ammo being in the same locked case as the gun? I've done this numerous times...

This from TSA: You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as

described above.

"This info is somewhat INCORRECT ammo can be in the same case as the locked gun and can be in plastic case... I've flown numerous times and carry everything in ONE case...."

(Edited w/o an I phone)

You can put all of it in one case if you want, the airline has specific policy.
When they say in mfg packaging they're meaning factory carton. It's to keep fliers from transporting loose rounds in crayon boxes in checked bags.

Ive argued this post 911 and finally gave in.

Every airline has their rules.Its up to the agent at the counter to put the weapon.
Southwest AA and United want ammo separate from firearms.Again its up to the agent at the counter. I've had em ok one thing and go against the other.

Because I typically don't have time to dick around at the counter,I plan for the worst and pray for the best. I also carry extra declaration cards in case they run out. The cards are specific to each airline, there is no one fits all.  hope this helps have fun

Edited by Dustbuster

Why? TSA and the carriers have no issue with ammo being in the same locked case as the gun? I've done this numerous times...

This from TSA: You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as
described above.

Correct. However, not all carriers may allow this, I know most do and possibly all do. An airline can impose rules above and beyond the TSA's. For example, American Air has/had a rule forbidding magazines to be used as storage devises. (Though possibly could be worked around by boxing up said magazines or throwing them in an enclosed mag holder.) As I recall it was fuzzily written enough that it might just come down to interpretation by whoever is in charge on Tuesdays at the carrier.
[quote name="Dustbuster" post="1151299" timestamp="1400802897"]This info is somewhat INCORRECT ammo can be in the same case as the locked gun and can be in plastic case... I've flown numerous times and carry everything in ONE case.... You can put all of it in one case if you want, the airline has specific policy. When they say in mfg packaging they mean factory carton. It's to keep fliers from transporting loose rounds in crayon boxes in checked bags. Every airline has their rules. Southwest aa and united want ammo separate from firearms. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.[/quote] I just flew Southwest the other day. I kept my 4 mags loaded and in the same box as my pistols. It used to be they didn't want it in mags. They don't care anymore so long as the primers on the top round is covered. I just wrap the tops of the mags in thin cardboard. I've always flown with my ammo in the same case as my firearm. I don't believe United or Southwest ever had a policy against that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by TMF

This info is somewhat INCORRECT ammo can be in the same case as the locked gun and can be in plastic case... I've flown numerous times and carry everything in ONE case....

You can put all of it in one case if you want, the airline has specific policy.
When they say in mfg packaging they mean factory carton. It's to keep fliers from transporting loose rounds in crayon boxes in checked bags.
Every airline has their rules.
Southwest aa and united want ammo separate from firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

And this is absolutely why we should NOT take advise gathered in forums as gospel as you never know when it might be incorrect...

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?camp=virtual_expert#Firearms

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_7

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Edited by teecro
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1151292" timestamp="1400801954"]That has to do with chain of custody IIRC. From what I recall, YOU hand your bag off directly to TSA for screening, or it is handed to TSA in front if you by an airline employee. .[/quote] Not anymore. At BNA they just have you hang around at the check in counter for 15 minutes while it is xrayed. The X-ray is on a different level now; has been for a while. A long time ago they'd have you take it direct to a TSA guy and you'd have to open it. I'm assuming people like me who rolled in there with a pelican case with a tacticool M4, 1911 and a bunch of mags and ammo were scaring fliers. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
To be fair, American Airlines say that they "prefer" a factory carton. :rolleyes: same rule that references magazines.

"Ammunition in its original packaging from the manufacturer is preferred, however it will be accepted in fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Loose ammunition, magazines or clips will not be accepted."
  • Like 1
[quote name="teecro" post="1151290" timestamp="1400801399"]This is one that I don't bother trying in that you are supposed to be able to carry loaded mags as long as they are in a pouch of sorts that completely encases then such as knife pouch with a Velcro closing flap etc.... Ammo does not need to be in a locked container as long as it is carried according to both TSA and your carriers directions. [/quote] I usually have the ammo in a factory box, as that used to be the rule. I don't have enough room in my Kimber case to have all the mags and ammo in there if the ammo isn't loaded. Southwest recently changed their policy so I go with loaded mags now. Also makes it easier when I get to where I'm going. I'm locked and loaded as I'm leaving the airport. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not anymore. At BNA they just have you hang around at the check in counter for 15 minutes while it is xrayed. The X-ray is on a different level now; has been for a while. A long time ago they'd have you take it direct to a TSA guy and you'd have to open it. I'm assuming people like me who rolled in there with a pelican case with a tacticool M4, 1911 and a bunch of mags and ammo were scaring fliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was probably the 1911 spooking all those folks. :lol:

Anyway that's what I'm saying, kinda. The bag goes to TSA in front of you or you hand it to them. From them it goes to the carrier, from the carrier back to you upon arrival. Chain of custody was a poor choice of words I guess, just meant that those bags don't get accessed by TSA beyond the initial screening which takes place shortly after you hand your bag over (or it is handed in front of you) to TSA.

Did BIN change all their check in areas like that? Wasn't more than a few years ago that I could have sworn they x-rayed it right in front of me. That may have been at LAX too though and I'm just crossing wires on my memory. :rolleyes:
  • Like 1

hahaha scary 1911

LAX makes you drag it to TSA, at BNA they run it down the chute to em. BNA is great to fly out of w guns. LAX so so, on a side thought,NY Airports are in their own communist world.LE or not NY is just bad....

whats correct is putting your pistol in a hard case w a non tsa lock locking it  w your empty mags, put your defense ammo in a factory carton in a separate case. fill out the declaration while youre telling the agent you have a firearm to declare. thats not bad info, its how i've flown to LA the past 26 times w no issues.Quote everythin under the sun,its up to the agent at the ticket counter on how you have to do it.Its their way or no way/no fly w your boolits and hammer. A prick agent could make reddog pack those as shown above in 3 separate cases using 3 declaration cards.

Teecro is correct as in theres a lot of writing about flying w guns but i found this which is a good example of what to expect:

http://www.arkansascarry.com/information/flying-with-firearms/454-american-airlines.html

Edited by Dustbuster
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1151341" timestamp="1400808006"]Come to think of it, I'm not even sure anymore if its mandatory that you whiteness TSA take the bag or if that's just the way it's always been when I flew. :shrug:[/quote] It isn't. You never see a TSA agent at BNA take your stuff anymore. Down in Tampa they still have you walk to the TSA X-ray and hand it to an agent. It really depends on the airport, not federal or airline policy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure anymore if its mandatory that you whiteness TSA take the bag or if that's just the way it's always been when I flew. :shrug:

Sometimes it is not even done the same way at the same airport... Different carriers were used but I've seen it done different ways flying out of Phoenix by only a matter of a couple of months...